Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avery16

hockey officials gear

Finally got a pair of ref pants I like that fit well. They're the Official's Wearhouse branded version of Force Rec pant. I like the fabric, and the sewn in pleat. Despite being a bigger dude the size L was more than enough room even with my Bauer girdle or Shock Doctor padded short (still undecided which I'll use, but leaning towards the padded short). And unlike the other pants I've tried on they don't have MASSIVE legs (again, having to wear a larger size because of my waist size, but I don't need wide legs).

I'll take em to get hemmed when I get my crest and bring that to my tailor to be stitched on to my jersey.

I'll take em to get hemmed when I get my crest and bring that to my tailor to be stitched on to my jersey.

Velcro is your friend if you have multiple patches, and so you can move between different jerseys.

Velcro is your friend if you have multiple patches, and so you can move between different jerseys.

Ah I'll only have one patch and one jersey I would think. Maybe if I ever get to the point where I need more than one.

Ah I'll only have one patch and one jersey I would think. Maybe if I ever get to the point where I need more than one.

Also handy moving year to year between patches so you don't need to get a new jersey or restitch.

Also handy moving year to year between patches so you don't need to get a new jersey or restitch.

Ah I'm just planning to take it to the tailor to be stitched/restitched. I'm sure as hell not gonna stitch it myself! :)

Though maybe I'll have them just stitch on some velcro to the jersey and crest instead... hmm.

For the love of God, put black velcro on the black stripes of your sweater. We have guys that put white on white (looks fine until you wash it once) or, worse, black on white. We have a league that doesn't use crests, so it ends up looking awful.

You can use adhesive velcro for the back of the crest, it'll stick just fine.

Or, if you don't want to mess with any of this, use double-sided carpet tape on your crests. It's what I use.

For the love of God, put black velcro on the black stripes of your sweater. We have guys that put white on white (looks fine until you wash it once) or, worse, black on white. We have a league that doesn't use crests, so it ends up looking awful.

You can use adhesive velcro for the back of the crest, it'll stick just fine.

Or, if you don't want to mess with any of this, use double-sided carpet tape on your crests. It's what I use.

If I was going to use Velcro it was going to be cut to the shape of the crest. Unless USA hockey decides to change the shape of the crest I should be fine :P

Who is in charge of caring for officials' equipment at high levels? Who sharpens their skates, mends sweaters and pants, or washes stuff? Do they just coordinate with the home team equipment staff as needed?

Skate sharpening is handled by the home team trainer. Fixing equipment is on the officials, with the exception of missing/lost gear. Each NHL team has an extra linesman and referee sweater on hand should a traveling official have his luggage lost, and then they get as much gear together for the official as they can. If you see a referee with number 35 or a linesman with number 85 he's having a very bad day -- those are the spare numbers.

League provides helmets and sweaters. Everything else is on the guys. CCM has the contract for official's equipment, except helmets, so that's why you see guys skating in Stevens pants with a CCM logo on the butt.

The leagues I work provide a variety of gear, the pro league provided me a helmet, visor, numberplate, and crest. Junior hockey provides some gear, depending on the level.

No reason to do that -- just put two strips on the black stripes and then affix matching ones to the back of the crest.

Is that you in your photo?

Skate sharpening is handled by the home team trainer. Fixing equipment is on the officials, with the exception of missing/lost gear. Each NHL team has an extra linesman and referee sweater on hand should a traveling official have his luggage lost, and then they get as much gear together for the official as they can. If you see a referee with number 35 or a linesman with number 85 he's having a very bad day -- those are the spare numbers.

Thanks for the tidbit. Never knew this.

League provides helmets and sweaters. Everything else is on the guys. CCM has the contract for official's equipment, except helmets, so that's why you see guys skating in Stevens pants with a CCM logo on the butt.

The leagues I work provide a variety of gear, the pro league provided me a helmet, visor, numberplate, and crest. Junior hockey provides some gear, depending on the level.

There is an NHL guy locally that I talk to from time to time. He told me that all of his stuff comes through the league, regardless of brand.

I was just out at NHL combine last month, they said gear was on the guys except helmet and sweater. They have a skate deal but they're not free.

Yes, the guys pay, but they don't pay retail.

I was just out at NHL combine last month, they said gear was on the guys except helmet and sweater. They have a skate deal but they're not free.

You sir, have a PM.

The guys I talked to said the same, the gear was on them; though the local guy out here gets his Stevens pants through the league... so, maybe it's a case by case thing.