Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirsch

New Car

Well, I'm selling my 74 Challenger. It's just too much, and I need something more reliable for winter. If I had time to rewire it then I'd keep it, but I just don't.

So... why I am making a topic...

Well, I need a new car, and I was wondering what you guys had for suggestions. I expect I will have somewhere around $4000 to spend after insurance check and selling the Challenger. I want something newer (10-15 yrs old) and I want a pretty high performance car. Also something that I could put a killer sound system into would be nice. My dad and I have been looking at tons of cars, but I would like to know what you guys would suggest. Please NO FORDS, and Chevys are sketchy at best. Thanks :)

I saw a few BMW 96 m3s for like 8 grand, but thats as low as they will go, and they are shop ridden. I have seen a bunch off 300zxs for under 10 grand in the 6-8 grand level. High preformance at that pricepoint is tough. You also could pay 90,000 for an NSX and have a worse preforming car than all of the above listed ;)

Just to add to this car topic, my dad just bought the brand new 2005 Acura RL. The thing is absolutely amazing and beautiful. I'm big into cars, and I am blown away by this thing. Easily a much better car than an E class for less money. Acura pulls through again.

You also could pay 90,000 for an NSX and have a worse preforming car than all of the above listed ;)

WOW! i'm not sure how anyone can question the perfomance ability of an nsx. its time and time again considered to be one of the best handling cars out there. and don't give me lame 1/4 mile times, thats not the point of that car. if you're lucky, you can find used early 90's nsx's for around 25K in good condition.

as far as getting other cars. try looking at something like a late 90's subaru impreza 2.5rs or maybe even a mitsu' 3000gt. i would say a nissan 240 too, but the whole "drifter" thing has driven the cost up on an otherwise reasonbly priced car. although, i'd go with lego and say do something with an old school nissan. like this 240z (it has a freaking Q45 v8 in it):

q45zpowers_11rw.jpg

q45zpower_03rw.jpg

DONT BID YOU WONT GET ANYTHING

Is he talking about that if you don't bid you won't get anything litrally, or is he saying don't bid because it's such a junker.. :D

Dan... awsome idea, Buick Grand National man, probably the biggest sleeper car ever... To pay 90,000 for a 6 banger 3.0L 252 hp car... or you can pimp it out with a 3.2L 290 HP engine in there. Get a viper, get a vette, hook up your vette, and still have money to buy your G5 Powermac. And dont say vettes are made to go in a stright line ONLY. It may not be the best handeling car in the world, but it cna handel very well, if it wanted to go fast in a stright line, they would have but a 12 bolt rear on there rather than independent rear suspension. Dont give me this nsx crap, a 350z has more hp

z06 c6 2005 vette will have 500 hp.

You are 100% correct, much more goes into a car than hp, you need tourque (its what getts you off the line). A c6 vette (base model) has 400 ft of tourque, while an NSX has 224. The Acura NSX weighs 2970 (thats with a lil 3.0 engine) A vette weighs 3180, thats with an engine double the size (6.0 L engine). So uhhhh

Here's what I have on my list of possibilities, keep in mind that not all of these are performance cars.

(In no particular order)

Nissan 240sx

Mozda RX-7

Toyota Supra

Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am

Potiac Fiero

Lincoln Mark VIII

Honda Civic

Dodge Neon

Anything else that I am forgetting?

Also today in the paper I found an '84 Trans Am that said it runs great for $1700... not too shabby.