Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

I let in a lot of dumb goals today but also made a lot of good saves, because the guys were really up-tempo and skating like mad. My favorite was one where a guy's stick got clipped as he took a wrist shot, so the puck bounce up in the air. Expecting a shot to the midsection I was already down, and ended up catching it right in my glove like a pop fly.

Unfortunately, almost near the end of pickup two guys were skating in, one on my own team, full speed, and one of them caught an edge or something and they both went ramming into me. I fell pretty hard, and I think I hit my head on something or someone on the way down. I definitely have the concussion thing going, plus feeling like one big bruise in general. (don't worry, I'll see a doctor if anything gets really weird, and mostly I'm spending at least today asleep).

Welp, got waxed last night...8-1 (we are now 0-2). Once again, the other team had 3 or 4 players that clearly were not "Rookie" level, and again I faced countless 2 on 0, 2 on 1 and at one point, a freaking 4 on 0!!! I'd honestly say I was responsible for 4 goals, 3 were bad 5-holes, where I didn't keep my stick down on the ice. The 4th one beat me low blocker side, was a tough one to try to get. The other goals were results of out numbered attacks where I made the first save, but then one of their players was left unattended to knock in the rebound on my far side. It got to the point where the non-rookie player would dangle through our entire team, enter the zone then wait for his teammate to enter and pass it to them. Overall though I felt I played much better, these clinics are really paying off. My wife even said I looked almost 100% better than I did the first time she watched me, which was only my 3rd time on the ice in my goalie gear...last night marked my 9th I believe.

My stance felt much better, I was lower in my butt squat, my hands were in the right spot, my back was straighter and my legs were wider. I have really been working on my lateral slides to the post from the top of the crease and made a few saves last night using those when faced with 2 on 1 or 2 on 0. There were a few times when I was lazy and got up on the wrong foot when recovering, luckily it didn't cost us a goal. All in all, I felt like I played much better this game than our first game. I'm trying not to worry about the score, but it does get frustrating when time after time a 2 on 0 is coming my way or when no one is there to pick up a rebound or an opponent after I make the initial save. And again, the refs told me that I did a great job on keeping my team in the game. I faced at least 25 shots this time, our team only had 10...I don't even think their goalie broke a sweat!

Edited by beedee

I didn't want to post this because it was SO bad. It has never been this bad before, even when I was starting out. A couple times just simply not being able to get my glove on a loose puck directly resulted in goals. I WAS trying to focus more on being square to the puck, not to the shooter, and also I worked a lot on T-Pushes (still can't do it right) when the play wasn't in our end.

I wasn't even tired after this because I barely made any saves. 90% of the video is goals being scored.

RIP awesome Warrior stick.

Dude, I swear your defense is worthless. They are basically cones with sticks that just stand there and watch the play go by, especially #33 (does he ever keep two hands on his stick?). Goal 2, 2 on 1, goal 3, 2 on 0...goal 7, guy was wide open backdoor. Looks like on goal 9 you were just flat footed at the edge of your crease, might have been easier to challenge a little more then back up as he came in so you had momentum to b'fly slide? Nice read at 7:10 on that 2 on 0! LMFAO at #88, he let the pass get through and then once it did he stood there and watched the play, he should be pissed at himself. Goal 16, homie had 3 whacks at it ALL ALONE!!! How many saves do you have to make before a d'man pulls his head out of his arse and gets on the guy?!?! 11:40, where the hell is your team??!?! 2 opponents wide open in front of you with no one in site!! Great save right there man! Wow, goal 18, #33 just backed all the way up into you pretty much. On that one maybe you could have challenged the shooter a bit more by coming-out further?

How many SOG is your team putting up?

Edited by beedee
  • Like 2

Hey OR, I'm more of a lurker so I hope you don't mind me throwing my two cents in with things I've learned over the years. I also started goaltending as an adult so it's been cool to watch your videos.

You're doing good with your feet the proper width apart standing, keep that up.

I'm noticing you're still have trouble with your ankles clicking back together and your butt dropping when you're butterflying. I know it's been brought up before so I won't dwell on it too much, but a couple of things that pop in my head are stance and core strength. It's hard to tell fully evaluate a stance from only a rear view, but it looks to me you might not have a deep enough knee bend. You're kind of falling into your butterfly, shown by there being a lot of drop in your body height. Ideally your upperbody and hands should be in more or less the same height as you started when you go down. You really want to drive into your butterfly, not drop into it. Driving will help pinch your knees together and keep your ankles apart, it'll close things faster, and it'll help keep your butt up. The only way you can drive is if your knees are bent and loaded up to drive down.

Like wise I'm don't know how much core and leg stuff you're doing outside of hockey but it's an absolutely essential thing to be working on in order to play goal. Sitting in a proper stance is a lot like doing wall sits through out a game. And to sit tall and properly in the butterfly you need a good core. I think it was Maria Mountain who wrote in regards to adult rec goalies that "you don't play goal to get into shape, you have to be in shape to play goal." I think that's very true. Goaltending is such a unique blend of endurance and explosiveness compared to skating out that I think it's really hard to efficiently increase your fitness level by solely playing the position.

I'm liking your catch glove position. It looks like it's in front of you and active. That is really important. A lot of newer goalies tend to lock their arms into their bodies and while that may close a hole, it also makes any save with your arms that much harder to do as well as much harder to direct rebounds. Keeping your hands in front means you can watch the puck the whole way into your catcher or off of your blocker instead relying only on "feel".

Try to really think about which leg you are getting up on. I notice every time you get up, you get up with your left leg first. The proper way to do it is to be getting up on the leg on the opposite side of where the puck has gone so you can use that leg to push towards the play. Like if you make a save and the puck goes off to your left, you want to bring your right leg up and vice versa. There are a lot of times in your video where you make the save, the pucks goes to the left, you get up on your left leg first and you have to do a big awkward turn to get back to the play. If you get up with your right leg in those situations you go in a smoother, straighter and shorter line back into the play. This might be something that just needs some conscious practice or it might need some strength training for a less dominant leg.

Don't ever stop fighting. I'm liking that you don't give up on plays. It's easy to get into a drop and block mentality and if you read the play wrong or the rebound goes wonky to just kind of sit there. You keep fighting to make a save which is awesome.

The last thing I wanted to bring up is mindset and mentality. I've noticed through the thread there is a lot of emphasis placed on being scored on and the narrative that comes with it. I'm going to tell you probably the single most important thing for you to be able to improve. Stop worrying about the goals. Stop counting the goals. Stop apologizing for them. Stop worrying about what your defense does or does not do. The score, the goals, what the skaters are doing are all meaningless for your improvement. The only thing that you control is what you are doing I'm assuming you are doing this because you love playing goal. You enjoy it and want to get better. But I can't imagine it's really enjoyable to beat yourself up over getting scored on.

Let's be real here. You're a newer goalie and that shinny is just that, it's shinny. It's not pro or anything like that. You know you're learning. This isn't your livelihood, you aren't getting paid to perform, you aren't playing for the Stanley cup. These games and goals only mean as much as what you make them. You can make them into constructive positives or deflating negatives. You can see it in your game, you definitely seemed off once you got in your head and frustrated in the latest video. Focus is so important and once you lose it is when those "bad goals" happen. These goals do not matter one lick. Forget about them. There is a lot of research to suggest that a process focus is better than a result focus for learning and improvement. Indeed many of the most successful athletes and teams tend to be process oriented. They focus on what they do and how they play, not what the score is. You could turn around backwards and face the net and you would probably end up making a couple of saves based on chance. Does that that mean you were playing well on those saves? Of course not, but having a results orientation tells us that. On the flip side say you are playing a two on one, you take the shooter, maintain square to the puck with proper depth but you're just not physically quick enough to get across to stop the one timer. Does that make you a bad goalie? Does that change how you should play a two on one? Again, of course not. It's a high percentage play that you know you played properly, you just have physical limitations, which everybody has. If you can make that save awesome, if not you know you played it properly the best you can and getting scored on doesn't detract from that.

What this means for you is to really think about how you mentally process goals and your play. If you get scored on don't beat yourself up. Don't look for an excuse. Don't mope. Quickly and dispassionately evaluate the shot, evaluate how you played it and think about what you can do for next time. Then move on to the next shot. You can't stop goals that have already gone in so worrying about that is wasted energy. Stop counting goals and start counting saves. You'll be amazed what that will do for your confidence. You say you "barely made any saves". I counted at least 23 saves and I didn't count through the whole video. You saved more than went in. Try to stop using language like "I played bad" or "I can't do this right" and use non judgement, constructive language like "If I move out a few inches I'll have a better angle on the shot that went in." Again, goaltending is so mental, the minute you get into a self defeatist mindset your play is going to suffer.

And if a defenceman gets pissy and throws their stick again, laugh in your head and move on, it's rec shinny, it's silly to get upset and throw yourself off over that. :)

Good luck, I hope this helps and keep throwing out the kicks!

• Like 5

wags- AWESOME first post. Your wisdom is something that needs to be here to boost some confidence.

I am back and posting in this thread because at nearly 43 years young, I am a beginning goalie.

First off, I will not even pretend that I am going to be any good. If I end up with a 5.00 GAA by the time I have done this for a few years, I will be quite chuffed!

I decided to start goal because I like the cool gear. Actually, it is because I have finally amassed the funds to buy the gear.

In shinny, we will NEVER have good D-men. Even the good D-men have decided they want to try and do their best T.J. Oshie and treat shinny like a shoot out! Marty McDangles always tries to dangle everyone and the hapless, lesser-skilled players end up as the D-men (if they even know how to skate backwards). Furthermore, everybody pinches in too far in the zone and the one bloke who can skate cherry picks the break away. Gets mighty frustrating as a goalie...

I will always give this advice as a beginning goalie to other beginner goalies: remember that DESPITE the fact you are letting in what you call a "soft goal", you have the TESTICULAR FORTITUDE to play goal. The D-men that should be wearing orange to signify their pylonitude DON'T HAVE THE BALLS to be goalies, let alone block shots or stand their ground at the blue line. Stand proud, and as wags sez: COUNT YOUR SAVES!!!!

bunnyman out.

• Like 1

Having received my tax refund this week, of course I wanted to spend it immediately. Or rather: I needed pads that fit properly, and suddenly had the means to acquire them.

I went to [used sporting goods store] first, was frustrated by the selection, but got some ideas about sizing. I ended up going down the road to [large warehouse store]. They had the biggest selection of pads I have ever seen in one place in my entire life. If I'd had more time I probably would've just stared for a good twenty minutes.

Armed with a budget and a vague idea of sizing and whatever qualifies as my playing style, I tried on a CCM (the model escapes me - Extreme Flex 500, I think?), but it just felt too bulky. Weight wasn't a big deal - my pads are older but junior size, so they're about on par with the newer senior and intermediate models. I tried on a Bauer Reactor 5000 for comparison, and that felt great.

Still speaking as a novice goalie, basically the CCM felt "wide" while the Bauer felt "narrow" - same width, virtually the same height, both 32"+1". The CCM felt like it would probably be good for someone who is very technical, who has a lovely, precise butterfly. I am not that person. My style on a good day could best be described as "Dominik Hasek on a drunken bender". The Bauer pad felt like it fit closer - more of an extension of my leg.

341776_900.jpg

I went with the Bauers, in white/black/red. I feel like absolute hell from all the time in the car (still not totally recovered from the concussion), but I'm so excited to have my very own brand new pads and I can't wait to try them out.

• Like 3

Same glove and blocker - they already match colorwise and the fit/protection was never a problem. They will look a bit grimy next to the pads, but I like to think I will fix that soon.

Having received my tax refund this week, of course I wanted to spend it immediately. Or rather: I needed pads that fit properly, and suddenly had the means to acquire them.

I went to [used sporting goods store] first, was frustrated by the selection, but got some ideas about sizing. I ended up going down the road to [large warehouse store]. They had the biggest selection of pads I have ever seen in one place in my entire life. If I'd had more time I probably would've just stared for a good twenty minutes.

Armed with a budget and a vague idea of sizing and whatever qualifies as my playing style, I tried on a CCM (the model escapes me - Extreme Flex 500, I think?), but it just felt too bulky. Weight wasn't a big deal - my pads are older but junior size, so they're about on par with the newer senior and intermediate models. I tried on a Bauer Reactor 5000 for comparison, and that felt great.

Still speaking as a novice goalie, basically the CCM felt "wide" while the Bauer felt "narrow" - same width, virtually the same height, both 32"+1". The CCM felt like it would probably be good for someone who is very technical, who has a lovely, precise butterfly. I am not that person. My style on a good day could best be described as "Dominik Hasek on a drunken bender". The Bauer pad felt like it fit closer - more of an extension of my leg.

341776_900.jpg

I went with the Bauers, in white/black/red. I feel like absolute hell from all the time in the car (still not totally recovered from the concussion), but I'm so excited to have my very own brand new pads and I can't wait to try them out.

Congrats on the new pads!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but there is a facebook group where you can get used gear for pretty good prices, and probably could get the better or even pro model of that pad for the same thing. The problem with low end senior pads is the materials break down faster and they won't give you the best performance. You'll need new pads sooner, and will end up spending the same over the same period as you would have for better pads and have the worse performing pads the whole time. Unless there were major structural changes, I'd say even last year's pro pad will be a better option long term than the 3rd highest option this year. If you like that more flexible, closer to the leg fit, You could also look at Vaughn Velocity (usually abbreviated V*) or Brian's Gnetik's (I have Gnetik's - they are awesome). They are your pads and your money, so I'm not trying to make you doubt your decision. I just wanted to make you aware of the online used gear market (brick and mortar used gear stores usually suck) because you are a newer goalie and may not know what else is out there. Generally the used route is going to be better for someone looking to spend less than $500 on pads. And how tall are you to be fitting into a Bauer 32+1" pad? I'm 5'9" with short shins for my height and I'd fit into 33 at least. I'm 32/33 in Brian's and those usually run big.

Edited by psulion22

You could've let me had my happy place at least until I played again, yannow. :wink:

I do appreciate the advice. A lot of what I found online when I was looking (especially with higher-end stuff) was just too big for me - on craigslist and ebay, at any rate. I live in a place where there is a lot of used goalie equipment available, even in brick and mortar stores. (lots of kids growing out of pads, lots of midget/HS players quitting the sport). At the used store alone, I tried on CCMs, Bauers, Vaughn (two kinds of Vaughn), Brian's (ZeroG, too small), Reebok, I think an Itech in there. The Bauers will probably be an improvement over what I have been wearing, and suitable for playing a couple of times a week, but if not, well. Like you said, that's my money and my problem.

We lost 3-1 yesterday but it felt like a victory to us! The team we played is full of 4th season "rookies", yeah, pretty comedy huh! First goal I gave up went off my blocker, then off the crossbar and landed in the crease behind me, I wasn't able to get to it before there guy who tapped it in. That was all for the first period, 2nd period was a 2 on 0, i got over in time but got beat 5-hole, 3rd goal was through traffic, I should have been further out, dropped down to butterfly, saw the puck come through the forest of legs, made a right pad save but was too deep and it bounced off my pad, then off the inside of the right post and in. 3rd period, no goals were given up.

Our team had a couple new players on it, both of which had experience and it made a WORLD of difference! For the first time (in 3 games) it actually felt like a game. The guys had some decent offensive zone possession and played their positions well. I didn't even care that we lost at all, I was more impressed with how well everyone played and the team morale was high as well.

Here is my haul from the ECHL Ontario Reign gear sale, all for $33!

$25 for goalie cut practice jersey w/ socks

$.50 per roll of tape, x6

$1 per compression item (2 pairs of pants, 3 shirts), all brand new Warrior brand

$1 Ontario Reign puck:

10150760_10153515709004258_7013886381138

10846133_10153515708919258_6967318054918

11200811_10153515709099258_2407316378859

1554614_10153515709199258_39160224081952

Edited by beedee
  • Like 2

You could've let me had my happy place at least until I played again, yannow. :wink:

I do appreciate the advice. A lot of what I found online when I was looking (especially with higher-end stuff) was just too big for me - on craigslist and ebay, at any rate. I live in a place where there is a lot of used goalie equipment available, even in brick and mortar stores. (lots of kids growing out of pads, lots of midget/HS players quitting the sport). At the used store alone, I tried on CCMs, Bauers, Vaughn (two kinds of Vaughn), Brian's (ZeroG, too small), Reebok, I think an Itech in there. The Bauers will probably be an improvement over what I have been wearing, and suitable for playing a couple of times a week, but if not, well. Like you said, that's my money and my problem.

LOL I wanted to mention it before you used the pads just in case you wanted to return them.

search for "Goalie Gear Sluts United" (otherwise known as GGSU) on facebook. A lot of used gear goes through there. Have fun in whatever pads you decide to go with.

• Like 1

Thanks OR! It was tough to only walk away with stuff I really needed v.s. wanted.

GGSU is a great group, I'm also a member!

GGSU is a great group, I'm also a member!

I wouldn't go that far! lol It's full of immature douchebags posting the same annoying crap over and over. But it is also a good place to buy and sell used gear.

• Like 1

@badger_14 Nice pads! Nothing feels better than something you get to make dirty. Those are nice pads!

@beedee What a haul you have made!!!

Much better pickup session this week. I wasn't super busy really, but that's thanks to the D-men actually trying this week. I don't know what the issue was the last 2-3 weeks but it's usually not that bad. Last night I had a lot more help.

I made some pretty bad mistakes, but I've been trying to work on my mobility a little bit. Unfortunately these guys rarely take shots and typically go for backdoor passes, which makes it difficult to work on a proper butterfly. At least I wasn't getting lit up like last week, and it's definitely something to build on.

Optimus, good on you for having the stones to post these videos. I wish I had video of myself playing in net, it would do wonders for my progression to actually be able to see what I'm doing wrong and make adjustments.

Not a great night. Lost 2-1 in the last minute in the first league game of the season.

Unfortunately there's no footage of the first goal against due to the GoPro falling down. Basically it was a rising shot that went off my shoulder and right to a guy who had a pretty wide open net.
Pretty crap to lose in the last minute like this...