Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bengerm77

Is lacebite a sign of skates breaking down?

After having this pair of skates I got used (though only barely) for two years I got lacebite during a pickup I played last week. The rest of the boot seems pretty solid still (I'm really light) and it hasn't happened before, but I was wondering if this was a sign of the tongue breaking down or a harbinger of more to come. I skated on them the wednesday and sunday after that, wednesday was bad but sunday seemed to be a little better. I also skated with my right foot really loose to compensate for the laces digging into a tender area. Really I think I just want an excuse to buy new skates.

Summary: How to deal with lace bite?

What kind of skates are they? Do they fit properly? Is the tongue worn out?

Lots of people find success with using something like the Elite Sports Lace Bite Gel Pad, or Bunga Lace Bite Preventer (Pretty much the same thing in a sleeve)

Those are probably the quickest/cheapest way to temporarily solve the issue

Did u happen to switch laces at all? I got lace bite when I switched to wax laces, probably because the regular ones loosened up just enough to avoid it from happening. I switched back to the OEM laces, but now my skates sometimes feel loose and I find myself tying them up multiple times a game. I'll probably switch back to lace, but maybe give the skates another bake to see if I can mold the tongue a bit more.

I'd honestly rather deal with lace bite than loose skates that I need to tie up 5 times a game.

i got this when i first switched to wax as well. the way i got around it, was by not cranking on the portion that i was getting bite in (ridge in the middle of my feet. I can tie the tops and bottoms tight with no issues. this fixed things. Another thing i found that helped was switching the type of waxed laces. For some reason I dont get as much bite with howies.

I agree with this, too. I have two different sets of wax laces and the really nice ones that cost me like $15 bucks (some weird prostock version or something? Guy who owns the shop is an ex-Islanders equipment manager) a pair don't give me bite while the cheap $6 ones I got do bother me. Either try using a higher quality lace, or just don't lace as tight on the problem area.

as for the tongue issue, i havent noticed any change in my u10 tongue, if anything id say as it has broken in, its happened less, but again that could just be a sign of using technique to fix the issue over anything substantial. if you think its just the tongue, maybe either get a new one put in, or try the bite pads as suggested.

I had a similar problem with my Vapor x7.0. Awful lace bite on just the one skate. I tried pads, loosening the laces, undoing the top eyelet, etc. Eventually I had the tongues replaced (some type of Reebok tongue put in) and it instantly felt better (swelling took awhile to go away though). They said at the LHS that the inner part of the tongue broke down in the upper ankle and all the forward pressure applied when skating was concentrated in that spot, causing the lace bite.

The tongue is starting to break down internally. If you replace it or double up on tongues then the issue normally goes away. However if the boot is starting to get soft and your foot is moving under the laces then this can aggravate the lace bite also.

If you still want to skate whilst waiting for new skates or the tongue to be repaired or to just carry on as you are but without pain, make yourself a forsberg pad. It is simple and cheap and takes a few minutes with a pair of scissors. It will get you back into your skates without any pain and allows for the tendon to heal whilst you decide what else to do.

I've battled with lace bite for many years and recently I got it really bad because of an inline skate in some old skates I had. All my old techniques of double tongue, lace bite pads etc could not get me back in my skates, the pain was so bad. Used a forsberg pad and haven't looked back since.

Simplest forsberg pad I have made is go to your local hardware shop and buy a length of pipe insulation, the thick foam type. Cut off a 6" length, cut down one side, on the other side cut a slot in the pad so your tendon sits in the slot. I chamfered the bottom ends where it fits under the boot so it was a comfortable fit. Happy to post a photo if you need it.

Son had lacebite. You have to take action quickly to not start a bigger almost incurae able lacebite problem. In other words, take lacebite seriously, take Motrin + ice to reduce swelling of the tendons. We tried bungs pads, non-wax laces, elite lacebite guards... Nothing worked. Found a felt supplier and got a yard of thick felt. Using heavy duty 3M adhesive spray + cutting a double tounge with sort of a foresberg pad... It is the only thing that worked. I cut almost a big "O" with one piece of felt which acted as a channel for the front foot tendon - I put that "O" on the original tounge and sandwiched it under another piece of felt cut in the larger shape of the original tounge (or a touch bigger). Sprayed each with the 3M adhesive and pressed them together for a while working to press the felt so the tendon channel was visible under the final piece of felt. Worked immediately. Should stich the felt on but if had held for a full season thus far.

I don't want to be the guy that just says "use the search", but there are a ton of topics on lace bite. There is some great advice in some of those topics

The tongue is starting to break down internally. If you replace it or double up on tongues then the issue normally goes away. However if the boot is starting to get soft and your foot is moving under the laces then this can aggravate the lace bite also.

I would agree that this is the most likely source of your problem.

If you still want to skate whilst waiting for new skates or the tongue to be repaired or to just carry on as you are but without pain, make yourself a forsberg pad. It is simple and cheap and takes a few minutes with a pair of scissors. It will get you back into your skates without any pain and allows for the tendon to heal whilst you decide what else to do.

I've battled with lace bite for many years and recently I got it really bad because of an inline skate in some old skates I had. All my old techniques of double tongue, lace bite pads etc could not get me back in my skates, the pain was so bad. Used a forsberg pad and haven't looked back since.

Simplest forsberg pad I have made is go to your local hardware shop and buy a length of pipe insulation, the thick foam type. Cut off a 6" length, cut down one side, on the other side cut a slot in the pad so your tendon sits in the slot. I chamfered the bottom ends where it fits under the boot so it was a comfortable fit. Happy to post a photo if you need it.

Can you throw up a picture of this? I want to do it, but cannot figure out how to make it happen

Thanks!!!

http://imgur.com/RYLDh2j

http://imgur.com/r5UmEXI

Front and back pics. I cut the bottom to shape around the front of the foot and chamfer the sides with scissors so it's not a large edge that can dig into your foot/leg.

I'll also add that when I use the pad, I tape it (with cheap medical tape) to my ankle/leg to hold it in place and then I wear an Ezyfit booty over the top (the ezyfit isn't really needed but for me helps to fill some negative space in the ankle area). It's not just a "slip in the boot and forget" solution although you could most likely do this if you spent enough time working out how to securely attach it to the back of the tongue. My lace bite has long gone but I'm so used to wearing the pad now (with the additional benefits it brings) that I just can't see myself skating in ice or inlline boots without it.

ps if the photos don't load send me a pm and I'll send them to your email address.

I was about to have my tongues switched out but now thinking of possibly trying different laces first. However I'm not expecting much of a difference being that last week I purchased some of the CCM lace-bite protectors and it didn't make much of a difference. But you never know.

I was about to have my tongues switched out but now thinking of possibly trying different laces first. However I'm not expecting much of a difference being that last week I purchased some of the CCM lace-bite protectors and it didn't make much of a difference. But you never know.

Are you certain the boot has enough volume for your foot?

If you already have lacebite then protectors or new laces do not make the problem go away. You have to remove the pressure from the area for a period of time to allow the tendon to heal. Then your lacebite protector or new tongues can do their job.

http://imgur.com/RYLDh2j

http://imgur.com/r5UmEXI

Front and back pics. I cut the bottom to shape around the front of the foot and chamfer the sides with scissors so it's not a large edge that can dig into your foot/leg.

I'll also add that when I use the pad, I tape it (with cheap medical tape) to my ankle/leg to hold it in place and then I wear an Ezyfit booty over the top (the ezyfit isn't really needed but for me helps to fill some negative space in the ankle area). It's not just a "slip in the boot and forget" solution although you could most likely do this if you spent enough time working out how to securely attach it to the back of the tongue. My lace bite has long gone but I'm so used to wearing the pad now (with the additional benefits it brings) that I just can't see myself skating in ice or inlline boots without it.

ps if the photos don't load send me a pm and I'll send them to your email address.

I am trying to replicate this, What size insulation did you use? I am using 1/2" thick, is that too think? Also do you put inside your sock or outside?

Just saw your comment about the tape/ezfit booty, I understand that tape, but what is an ezfit booty? sorry if thats common

Thanks!!!

I tried it, and the first time, the pad was too short on the top, and really hurt up higher, and created a worse pressure. Then I made a long one, and when I put it in, it rode up during the game, causing discomfort towards the bottom

Son had lacebite. You have to take action quickly to not start a bigger almost incurae able lacebite problem. In other words, take lacebite seriously, take Motrin + ice to reduce swelling of the tendons. We tried bungs pads, non-wax laces, elite lacebite guards... Nothing worked. Found a felt supplier and got a yard of thick felt. Using heavy duty 3M adhesive spray + cutting a double tounge with sort of a foresberg pad... It is the only thing that worked. I cut almost a big "O" with one piece of felt which acted as a channel for the front foot tendon - I put that "O" on the original tounge and sandwiched it under another piece of felt cut in the larger shape of the original tounge (or a touch bigger). Sprayed each with the 3M adhesive and pressed them together for a while working to press the felt so the tendon channel was visible under the final piece of felt. Worked immediately. Should stich the felt on but if had held for a full season thus far.

Really interested in trying this, can you tell me how thick the felt you used was?

Thanks!!!

Felt was 3/8 or 1/4 inch thickness... I think it goes by pounds.....Different types I don recall but there were the natural fibers and the man Made like polyester - not sure but I chose the man made thinking it oils hold up better + stink less... It is fine but would probably go with natural type like most skate mfrs use now.

If you can find a local felt distributor, go in the warehouse and check them out.

Felt was 3/8 or 1/4 inch thickness... I think it goes by pounds.....Different types I don recall but there were the natural fibers and the man Made like polyester - not sure but I chose the man made thinking it oils hold up better + stink less... It is fine but would probably go with natural type like most skate mfrs use now.

If you can find a local felt distributor, go in the warehouse and check them out.

Do you have to go to felt distributor or can u just go to a Michaels or craft store?

Try Sutherland Felt in Troy, MI (on the web) call them and ask - you can't find this stuff at Michaels. Maybe have them ship you a yard or less. Probably $25-$30 + shipping - you could probably do 12 skates with a yard.

Either stich it in - or easier / use 3m heavy duty spray adhesive (spray new felt piece not skate as it can get messy) the green can - can buy @ Home Depot I think.

I don't want to be the guy that just says "use the search", but there are a ton of topics on lace bite. There is some great advice in some of those topics

I would agree that this is the most likely source of your problem.

How do you know if the problem is the tongue? or the whole skate breaking down?

I have had the APX2s sense the day they came out, playing 4-6 times per week, and this past couple weeks I got real bad lace bite. Not sure if I can just replace the tongues, or if I just need new skates. I am in my last year of full time playing for a long time, so not sure I wanna drop $1000 on new skates, but if its what is needed.

Bend the tongue forward. If you can feel or see a sharp horizontal edge where your lacebite is, then it is most likely the tongue.

Only sometimes does this show the problem. Often the tongue looks fine but it has broken down internally and it no longer provides dispersion of pressure across the internal lacebite channels, instead the pressure from the lace pushes straight thru and onto the tendon.

I am trying to replicate this, What size insulation did you use? I am using 1/2" thick, is that too think? Also do you put inside your sock or outside?

Just saw your comment about the tape/ezfit booty, I understand that tape, but what is an ezfit booty? sorry if thats common

Thanks!!!

I tried it, and the first time, the pad was too short on the top, and really hurt up higher, and created a worse pressure. Then I made a long one, and when I put it in, it rode up during the game, causing discomfort towards the bottom

https://imgur.com/gallery/3qkrbcO/new

Using 1/2" thick pipe insulation. Here is me with a pad on. I strap it to my leg so it sits on the top of my foot. The really important part is to make sure the tendon sits cleanly in the channel, this pad is nearing the end of its life because it gets compressed thru use, the pad changes shape and the channel becomes enlarged/twisted out of shape and becomes less effective. Sometimes I have been lazy strapping the pad on, the tendon didn't quite sit in the channel and after I had finished the skate I notice a dull ache in the tendon area. Not quite lace bite but heading that way.

I initially made pads that fitted a lot further down to cover the top of the foot but found, for me anyhow, that I didn't need protection across the top of the foot. It's generally the first or second lace crossover that causes the problem and the pad I have here covers that area.

Ezeefit booties can be found at online stores like ice warehouse or their main web site is here http://www.ezeefitsports.com/category-s/1842.htm

I use the 2mm version.