Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

9 hours ago, 218hockey said:

So, no more Starter Kits with new machine purchases? 👎

You mean the 3 grinding rings? Not for free. You can elect to purchase it though. 

43 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

You mean the 3 grinding rings? Not for free. You can elect to purchase it though. 

Yes the three rings you can buy at a discount with a new machine. I don’t that listed anywhere on the sight.

When u buy the machine you should be able to choose three rings of your choice for $100. Or something like that. 

Also, does anyone remember if Sparx does the $100 off again around New Years? Or was that just Black Friday? 

Almost bought a Sparx yesterday. No starter ring pack, no edge checker, no blade holder available for purchase. No customer service phone number to call. I emailed and they did get back to me today but said it could be "several weeks" before they had these products. Huh? Why don't they just let you pick some rings of your choice and give a discount with machine purchase?

14 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Almost bought a Sparx yesterday. No starter ring pack, no edge checker, no blade holder available for purchase. No customer service phone number to call. I emailed and they did get back to me today but said it could be "several weeks" before they had these products. Huh? Why don't they just let you pick some rings of your choice and give a discount with machine purchase?

What exactly is the issue you're having? That they're having supply-chain issues, or that the item isn't discounted enough to your liking. 

14 hours ago, 218hockey said:

I have a buddy who owns a store and he is getting out of the hockey business to pursue other endeavors and he is selling a Sparx machine that is only a few months old, under warranty and comes with a ton of goodies. If you're interested I can pass along your info and he can email you. Not sure what he is asking for the unit but it's a fair assumption it would be considerably less than retail and would include a bunch of rings and an edge checker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

What exactly is the issue you're having? That they're having supply-chain issues, or that the item isn't discounted enough to your liking. 

Both! 😁

I thought if they have the rings that are in the starter pack, why not sell me those for that price? Hell, I don't even know how much of a savings that is, maybe it's 5 bucks. When you click on the Starter Pack you get a 404.

It's not a big deal I just thought they'd say, "yes, we're out of all of this product but here's what we can do." I could still buy the machine and a ring and be alright. I have some sharpening supplies now including the Sparx blade holder.

4 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Both! 😁

I thought if they have the rings that are in the starter pack, why not sell me those for that price? Hell, I don't even know how much of a savings that is, maybe it's 5 bucks. When you click on the Starter Pack you get a 404.

It's not a big deal I just thought they'd say, "yes, we're out of all of this product but here's what we can do." I could still buy the machine and a ring and be alright. I have some sharpening supplies now including the Sparx blade holder.

Ya, the starter pack isn't showing up for me at checkout.

It wasn't that much of a discount, anyway. If you want my advice, just pick one ring and go from there, rather than buying a bunch to start when at least one will end up being useless to you. 

Do you not already have a preferred ROH? 

9 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Yes. 1/2" Fire.

But for sure would be doing a few other families skates so thought that's where the Starter Pack would be good.

You had 1/2" fire done at a pro shop? 

No.

I had a buddies Sparx at my house for two months this past summer but he picked up and moved to Scottsdale. Now I have a another friend that owns a Sparx that I can use anytime I want. I've been going out there every week since September but I think I'm wearing out my welcome. Ha!

Good excuse to buy my own I figured!?

1 minute ago, 218hockey said:

Yes. 1/2" Fire.

But for sure would be doing a few other families skates so thought that's where the Starter Pack would be good.

My advice, get the 1/2" Fire for yourself along with a 1/2 & 5/8 ROH. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stick9 said:

My advice, get the 1/2" Fire for yourself along with a 1/2 & 5/8 ROH. 

Haha ya that's what they want but there's no more bundle for them. Growing pains. 

20 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

Haha ya that's what they want but there's no more bundle for them. Growing pains. 

bundle or not, that's what I would get, especially if I planned on sharpening for other people.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

first of all happy new year to all of you and thanks for letting me contribute to this forum!

I've just received my Sparx sharpener and I'm really happy with it. You guys have already helped me a lot in making my final buying decision and apart from the costs of usage I'm really happy with it.  In the  last few days, my friends and I have sharpened about 10 pair of skates and so far our grinding ring usage is pretty high. On average it's around 8x2 cyles per pair. Unfortunately, the availability of grinding rings is quite limited in my area and the costs of shipping are high.

Costs per grinding ring in Europe are around 80$=73€ and shipping adds another 15$....

My question now is, is it somehow possible to use the PS100 grinding rings and XG Cross grinding rings on the the ES100 machine?

I'm asking this because for some odd reason the availability of PS100 grinding rings is far better at the moment than for ES 100 consumer version, and it would also save me around 5$ per ring. PS100 XG Cross Grinding rings are also available from this dealer... and I know the story some guys refused to clean the air filter so Sparx decided to stop producing them for the ES100 machines.....

And secondly, as a long time follower, I've read that most of you guys had great success with sharpening 5 cycles. In your experience, how many cycles does it take to sharpen skates with completely flat hollows?

At the moment it looks like one sharpening ring will last for 20 sharpenings of worn down blades at maximum...given the costs of 1300$ for the machine alone this is not really sustainable for a beer league team....

Thanks guys!

8 minutes ago, lfc26 said:

Hi guys,

first of all happy new year to all of you and thanks for letting me contribute to this forum!

I've just received my Sparx sharpener and I'm really happy with it. You guys have already helped me a lot in making my final buying decision and apart from the costs of usage I'm really happy with it.  In the  last few days, my friends and I have sharpened about 10 pair of skates and so far our grinding ring usage is pretty high. On average it's around 8x2 cyles per pair. Unfortunately, the availability of grinding rings is quite limited in my area and the costs of shipping are high.

Costs per grinding ring in Europe are around 80$=73€ and shipping adds another 15$....

My question now is, is it somehow possible to use the PS100 grinding rings and XG Cross grinding rings on the the ES100 machine?

I'm asking this because for some odd reason the availability of PS100 grinding rings is far better at the moment than for ES 100 consumer version, and it would also save me around 5$ per ring. PS100 XG Cross Grinding rings are also available from this dealer... and I know the story some guys refused to clean the air filter so Sparx decided to stop producing them for the ES100 machines.....

And secondly, as a long time follower, I've read that most of you guys had great success with sharpening 5 cycles. In your experience, how many cycles does it take to sharpen skates with completely flat hollows?

At the moment it looks like one sharpening ring will last for 20 sharpenings of worn down blades at maximum...given the costs of 1300$ for the machine alone this is not really sustainable for a beer league team....

Thanks guys!

The PS and ES use the same rings. 

The XG rings should not be used in the ES units and I am not sure if Sparx ever updated the firmware on the units or the encoding on the XG rings NFC to allow/disallow the use of them. You will likely have to email them to find out unless they reply here. I know their stance is to not use the XG rings in the ES units.

Also, the XG rings should only be used to remove large amounts of material or when you sharpen new skates. These should not be used constantly and the finish on them is not ideal. If you are sharpening skates that have already been sharpened previously you should not need more than 1 or 2 passes unless the blade has serious trauma. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The PS and ES use the same rings. 

The XG rings should not be used in the ES units and I am not sure if Sparx ever updated the firmware on the units or the encoding on the XG rings NFC to allow/disallow the use of them. You will likely have to email them to find out unless they reply here. I know their stance is to not use the XG rings in the ES units.

Also, the XG rings should only be used to remove large amounts of material or when you sharpen new skates. These should not be used constantly and the finish on them is not ideal. If you are sharpening skates that have already been sharpened previously you should not need more than 1 or 2 passes unless the blade has serious trauma. 

thanks a lot for your help SkateWorksPNW! It's good to know that you only need 1-2 passes on average.

Your infos are really interesting because the Sparx support told me PS100 rings aren't compatible with the ES100 machine.

Anyways, most importantly for me is to make sure that the PS100 standard rings are compatible with the ES100 unit. Are you really sure about that?

I'm just curious because the Sparx team have already answered my email and told me otherwise..... given the similarities in both units I kinda trust your answer more:-)

Regarding the XG rings hopefully they didn't update their firmware:-). I'm really only doing this because prices for the rings are really overpriced over here. At least, I was able to import the unit for 200 dollars less than what the actual reseller is asking.

If anyone with a new Sparx ES100 unit has any further experience with the XG rings I'm glad to hear about it:-)

Nevertheless, the performance of the machine is incredible and far superior than any sharpening from a local shop. Most of them only know how to sharpen ski edges anyway:-)

My advice to Sparx would be to skip the resellers in Europe. As it stands, they are diminishing the potential of the Sparx product over here in Europe and only a few crazy people including myself are willing to pay 1500$ + 80$ per ring for the sharpener...

Edited by lfc26

I can only reiterate what has been said before, one pass is enough to sharpen blades with no damage. New blades may need 10 passes and when I bought some blades, I had the shop,  do them for me as the sharpen was free and it saved me wearing out my ring. Yes rings cost a small fortune for Europeans, but hey ho, such is life. I bought my machine from Sweden almost one year ago, and it is fricken amazing. We do pay a lot compared to Americans but the European alternative is the ProSharp Home and that costs even more. 

If you sharpen a lot of skates, a standard sharpening machine maybe the way to go as the cost per pass on a Sparx is about 50 pence UK. 

1 minute ago, Leif said:

I can only reiterate what has been said before, one pass is enough to sharpen blades with no damage. New blades may need 10 passes and when I bought some blades, I had the shop,  do them for me as the sharpen was free and it saved me wearing out my ring. Yes rings cost a small fortune for Europeans, but hey ho, such is life. I bought my machine from Sweden almost one year ago, and it is fricken amazing. We do pay a lot compared to Americans but the European alternative is the ProSharp Home and that costs even more. 

If you sharpen a lot of skates, a standard sharpening machine maybe the way to go as the cost per pass on a Sparx is about 50 pence UK. 

thanks Leif. happy new year to you as well!^^

Don't get me wrong I'm really happy with the the Sparx machine, it solves so many problems with uneven edges and inconsistencies regarding the radius of hollow.

I also understand that that the costs for the machine are higher over here. But 80$ for the sharpening ring has become personal to me and my teammates... that's why I'm trying to find out whether or not I can use the very similarly looking PS100 Grinding rings on the ES100 machine.

10 hours ago, lfc26 said:

thanks a lot for your help SkateWorksPNW! It's good to know that you only need 1-2 passes on average.

Your infos are really interesting because the Sparx support told me PS100 rings aren't compatible with the ES100 machine.

Anyways, most importantly for me is to make sure that the PS100 standard rings are compatible with the ES100 unit. Are you really sure about that?

I'm just curious because the Sparx team have already answered my email and told me otherwise..... given the similarities in both units I kinda trust your answer more:-)

Regarding the XG rings hopefully they didn't update their firmware:-). I'm really only doing this because prices for the rings are really overpriced over here. At least, I was able to import the unit for 200 dollars less than what the actual reseller is asking.

If anyone with a new Sparx ES100 unit has any further experience with the XG rings I'm glad to hear about it:-)

Nevertheless, the performance of the machine is incredible and far superior than any sharpening from a local shop. Most of them only know how to sharpen ski edges anyway:-)

My advice to Sparx would be to skip the resellers in Europe. As it stands, they are diminishing the potential of the Sparx product over here in Europe and only a few crazy people including myself are willing to pay 1500$ + 80$ per ring for the sharpener...

Who is the reseller there??? Curious

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think Hockey Monkey. Right? 

That’s where I got mine. There was another but they must have stopped selling them.