Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iammerson

Skate Insole question

Got new skates so obviously i am use to the growing pains. However I have been having some discomfort in the bottom of one of my feet and the pain is kind of shooting up into my leg. Would a new insole help this problem? Is it just a new skate thing? If it is an insole thing what would you guys recommend? Thanks for all your help ahead of time.

I really like the CCM insoles.. I've had the SuperFeets and they're ok as well, just have a preference for the CCM's.. 

Do you think that's what the issue is though... my insoles? Just seemed a little strange because it is only really bothering me on one foot.

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

thread from the dead: 

the dude in my LH(NYC)S was showing me this system from Graf that takes measurements of you foot.

is the pain in the front on back of your leg?  it could just be tight ligaments up in your knee that need a stretch after you skate.  

the pain in you foot is most likely plantar fasciitis   I have a low arch and wear orthotics in my everyday shoes, I totally feel it after I skate w/out support. i'm looking into the CCMs since i'm in CCM skates    

Thanks for the heads up and appreciate all the input so far guys please keep it coming i was thinking of getting the ccm inserts

Anyone have any war stories about them vs super feet?

When I got into Bauer Nexus boots a few years ago, my low arch was catching up with me and I was experiencing pain throughout my foot. 

Super feet YELLOW was recommended, and I haven't skated a day without them since.  I'm on my first pair of the inserts and I coach about 2-3 hours a week during the season and play about 1 beer league game per week as well.  I haven't had any issues and they are holding up really well. 

3 hours ago, iammerson said:

Is it normal for it to present itself in just one foot because i didn't seem to have the problem in my right foot.

It's possible. No human is perfectly symmetrical. One foot could be slightly different than the other.

I wouldn't disregard the SPEEDPLATE option.  Bauer will be selling them soon as a separate item.

From my experience with fitting skates, it is pretty common for people to experience discomfort in one skate, but not the other. That all being said, it could be any number of reasons why you're foot is hurting, but the big question is where is your pain? Every muscle, tendon, and ligament in the foot is connected and sometimes the pain you are experiencing in one spot could be the manifestation of an issue you are having somewhere else in the foot.

I'm not a huge fan of the Speedplates because I've seen a few instances now where they have completely cracked and fallen apart. I like the Superfeet option, but I have also had a lot of success with the CCM insoles. I've used them for both hockey skate fittings and competitive figure skate fittings and I've had a lot of success with them. The only downside is the CCM insoles are more expensive than the Superfeet.

Thank you for all the input everyone I ended up going with an ortholite insole. By the end of my tourney this weekend I felt a massive improvement. Again thank you for all the help.

Good to hear they're improving! Incase it's not perfect or the pain creeps back i wanted to let you know that I too wear the ccm's. I liked the fact that I could select the arch that best suited me. It did help me with the pain you're mentioning so I would give them a shot.

Someone also mentioned plantar fasciitis above... I will make a  plug here  but I do feel it's relevant. The POWERFOOT performance inserts will provide a support and comfort that no insole can give you and I personally wouldn't skate without them. They also help prevent and alleviate pain from plantar fasciitis .  I wear the ccm's with the POWERFOOT.

You can see the modsquad thread on them here. http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67984-powerfoot-performance-inserts/

Hope this helps, Cheers!

I had always had superfeet insoles up until I bought a pair of Bauer One75 skates (7 years ago) that had a more generic type of insole in it.  I didn't care for that one as I had some foot discomfort and arch soreness (I've always had a slightly low arch, nothing terrible but if it doesn't have a bit of support it has lead to discomfort).  After looking into various insoles at the time I decided to try Sole insoles and have been extremely happy with them (to be honest, I probably learned about them from this forum).  I believe it's the "thin sport" model which I have (names may have changed over the years), basically it is an orthotic insole which is sold by size then you trim to fit perfectly (like most insoles), then you bake the insole in the oven, put in the skate, tie the skate and let it mold to your foot.  I don't remember the exact process but those were the basic steps.  I haven't had any discomfort since using them and swear by them now, so it might be worth a look.

On 3/21/2016 at 8:40 AM, iammerson said:

Thank you for all the input everyone I ended up going with an ortholite insole. By the end of my tourney this weekend I felt a massive improvement. Again thank you for all the help.

I've been a rep for Superfeet for about 3 years and started wearing them about 4 years prior to employment. Feel free to shoot me any questions if need be. Good luck!

21 hours ago, SeanCornell91 said:

I've been a rep for Superfeet for about 3 years and started wearing them about 4 years prior to employment. Feel free to shoot me any questions if need be. Good luck!

is there any trick to getting the footbed to sit flush in the skate?  Mine seems to rock back and forth depending on if im applying pressure to heel of my foot or the ball of my foot.  When the skate is laced it basically resolves that issue, but id feel more comfortable knowing the footbed is locked in place and doesnt need the force of my weight and the skate to keep it from moving

15 minutes ago, caseyjones said:

is there any trick to getting the footbed to sit flush in the skate?  Mine seems to rock back and forth depending on if im applying pressure to heel of my foot or the ball of my foot.  When the skate is laced it basically resolves that issue, but id feel more comfortable knowing the footbed is locked in place and doesnt need the force of my weight and the skate to keep it from moving

Casey, 

In the box there should have been some instructions on trimming the product. Essentially what you do is take out the original stock insole and use that as your stencil. Line up the heels so that they're on top of eachother so you have the full length/shape of the original, then trace the difference and trim them down with a pair of scissors. Ideally, their should be about a millimeter of space between the end of the insole (after trimming) and the front of the space so that it can move with your foot when your foot moves. If done correctly, it shouldn't really rock at all. Is it a pair of the Yellow that you're wearing?

14 minutes ago, SeanCornell91 said:

Casey, 

In the box there should have been some instructions on trimming the product. Essentially what you do is take out the original stock insole and use that as your stencil. Line up the heels so that they're on top of eachother so you have the full length/shape of the original, then trace the difference and trim them down with a pair of scissors. Ideally, their should be about a millimeter of space between the end of the insole (after trimming) and the front of the space so that it can move with your foot when your foot moves. If done correctly, it shouldn't really rock at all. Is it a pair of the Yellow that you're wearing?

yes they are yellow superfeet.  The rocking seems to come from the elevation in the heel and the plastic underneath the heel of the footbed.  I dont have them in front of me to look at right now though

On 4/1/2016 at 10:58 AM, caseyjones said:

yes they are yellow superfeet.  The rocking seems to come from the elevation in the heel and the plastic underneath the heel of the footbed.  I dont have them in front of me to look at right now though

I would suggest checking their trimming to see if it fits as described above. After that, I would take them to the store you got the Superfeet in and ask for their help. I'd love to give you a solid and complete answer, but it's hard to be sure without it right in front of me!