Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Do you P28 guys keep your stick longer or shorter?

3 hours ago, asgoodasdead said:

ahh i thought it was the opposite. so i guess a 4 is more open

Yeah! Lie 4 has a shaft to ice angle of 43 degrees. Unfortunately, you can`t find too many at retail.

Also, it`s very possible that different brands measure their lie somewhat differently, but I believe that the measurements I listed are the standard.

On July 3, 2017 at 9:02 AM, vinprun71 said:

My P28 sticks are one inch longer than the P92s I have. The lower lie is what caused me to keep an extra inch. I get the right amount of blade on the ice with the slightly longer stick.

This

On 7/4/2017 at 11:24 AM, asgoodasdead said:

ahh i thought it was the opposite. so i guess a 4 is more open

lie and openess aren't really related. a PM9 is a lie 4 and is literally the most closed blade pattern you can get. on the other side, the Easton Iginla pattern is lie 7 or something silly and is just as closed.

4 hours ago, innotastic said:

lie and openess aren't really related. a PM9 is a lie 4 and is literally the most closed blade pattern you can get. on the other side, the Easton Iginla pattern is lie 7 or something silly and is just as closed.

When they used the term "open" I just assumed they were using it to describe the angle of the shaft in relation to the blade.

But yeah, when I hear the term "open" I am thinking blade face.

On 7/3/2017 at 10:05 AM, clarkiestooth said:

You carefully deleted the phrases "it depends" and "generally" from my statement. Took what I said out of context. Bad form. Do you work for CNN?

OP specifically asked if guys go longer or shorter with this stick.

I just took the last 4 sentences of your post verbatim, didn't edit them at all. Not sure what the CNN reference is - doesn't have any relevance here in Canada eh. 

Here's another part I cut out, I'll put it back in so I don't get accused of taking you out of context. Again I disagree, respectfully, with your statement here:

clarkiestooth said:

"In the days of the wooden stick, you went with the shortest stick possible for quickness (sticks were heavy). Forwards often had sticks chest high). Now, modern sticks are so light that they can be moved quickly, even at longer lengths." 

I played with wooden sticks growing up. Titan TPM2020 was my go-to in Peewee and later I preferred the Bauer Supreme 3030 in Bantam / High School. I didn't know anyone who cut them to make them lighter so they could move them quicker. I preferred a longer stick as I found it helped my slapshot. We weren't that weak and they just weren't that heavy. Other guys I played with preferred shorter sticks and used it to their advantage in the corners and as playmakers.

Nothing much has changed in that regard - the question of shorter vs. longer is still down to what element of your game you want to optimize.

Longer = Optimizes reach & shot power, Shorter = Optimizes control in tight spaces and playmaking.

colins

I play my E28s at stock length(64"?). I'm 6'2" and play D so the length is good for me. No issues snapping off the toe on the rare occasion I'm up on the rush and the extra reach is handy for poke-checks. Mostly passes from the blue line with some wristers peppered in.

On 7/8/2017 at 2:33 PM, innotastic said:

If you're talking Easton patterns and lie measurements then the Modano was a 5 and the Iginla was a 5.5.

I keep my P28s (Lie 5) the same length as my Lie 6 sticks, so it's shorter than I would usually cut a Lie 5 or Lie 5.5 stick. That helps keep the toe down and makes toe shooting easier.

20 hours ago, MrData said:

I keep my P28s (Lie 5) the same length as my Lie 6 sticks, so it's shorter than I would usually cut a Lie 5 or Lie 5.5 stick. That helps keep the toe down and makes toe shooting easier.

Is the P28 really a lie 5, compared to a PM9, or more like a lie 5.5? Whenever I've lined them up with other sticks, they seem closer to 5.5 for me, and the closest blade I could find to it was an Easton Drury, which led me to believe the P28 is an altered Drury. They share a lot of their face profile and the heel component of the P28 is quite significant too...

Could you possibly show comparison pictures for the PM9, P28, and BC71? The Easton Malkins I have are essentially PM9's with a Kovalchukesque toe curve. I know Gino has dozens of curves with each company he's had stick orders from, but a lot of them seem PM9-based, and from the pictures of the BC71, it looks a heckuva lot like my Easton Ginos.

TLDR, if the P28 is actually higher than a 5, it would make sense why so many actually cut it quite short. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Longer than usual. I use a very short stick, 55" in length with the PM9 and P88 curves, and I am 5'11". With the P28 I use a 59" length. 

How tall are you?

Measuring top of the stick to the heel?