Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bthompson1286

Skating without footbeds

So i skated the other day without footbeds.  I skated without footbeds due to the fact that I was airing out my skates and forgot to put them back in.  This may be weird but I actually preferred the feeling without the footbeds than using super feet.  I felt i could feel the ice way better and had more response than with the super feet.  Has anyone else experienced this?  can someone recommend a very thin footbed so I don't ruin the bottom of my feet?

Maybe swing by a shoe repair shop and see if they have any minimally thick insole worthy padding, just enough to get your feet off the rivets and possible staples.

51 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

The stock insoles in most skates are about as thin as you can get.

Yep. They're more rivet covers than anything.

OP is smart to air those out, as you probably know it prevents premature rusting and oxidation on the rivets. It's probably a good idea to have something in there to help soak up some of the moisture as you play (but of course air them out when you get home.)

I once forgot to put in my Bauer speed plates, and skated without insoles. I was all over the place, no control, I struggled to do moves. The speed plates massively improve my skate feel and balance. However, it sounds like the opposite was true for you. I did once have yellow Superfeet, I didn't get on with them as they lifted my heels up, not good. 

17 hours ago, Monty22 said:

The stock insoles in most skates are about as thin as you can get.

It's not only a matter of thickness. Topography is a major factor in how the foot sits in the skate. Without the footbed, there aren't the usual heel and arch supports, which I'm guessing are part of why @bthompson1286 likes foregoing the footbeds. Getting a flat piece the same thickness as a stock footbed but without the topography that a stock footbed comes with could go a long way toward achieving the desired effect. Going even further, even if it's "about as thin as you can get," if a cobbler can supply something ever so slightly thinner, it should seemingly satisfy the query even better.

23 hours ago, Leif said:

I once forgot to put in my Bauer speed plates, and skated without insoles. I was all over the place, no control, I struggled to do moves. The speed plates massively improve my skate feel and balance. However, it sounds like the opposite was true for you. I did once have yellow Superfeet, I didn't get on with them as they lifted my heels up, not good. 

Did you get fitted for your super feet or did you buy it According to the size listed on the box?

My Ribcore's came with some real nice cushioned footbeds in them, but they actually felt better with my old Nexus bootbeds that are about 1/16th of an inch thick and flat.

1 hour ago, mickz said:

Did you get fitted for your super feet or did you buy it According to the size listed on the box?

I bought them from the local running shop, and they checked that they fitted, which they did without any trimming. I think they followed the sizing on the box which was spot on. 

On 9/19/2017 at 5:17 PM, Leif said:

I bought them from the local running shop, and they checked that they fitted, which they did without any trimming. I think they followed the sizing on the box which was spot on. 

should try to fit superfeet to your foot, not to the box or size.  your heel needs to be completely in the cup with no spillover.   I thought I was a D based on the box, but actually an E is the right size. 

You may also have liked not having the volume of the superfeet and the increased pitch because of the superfeet.  I switched to speedplates and never looked back.  YMMV....

1 hour ago, jgold47 said:

should try to fit superfeet to your foot, not to the box or size.  your heel needs to be completely in the cup with no spillover.   I thought I was a D based on the box, but actually an E is the right size. 

You may also have liked not having the volume of the superfeet and the increased pitch because of the superfeet.  I switched to speedplates and never looked back.  YMMV....

They did fit to the feet, but the stated size was correct. I didn't like the heel lift, which reduced the skate depth causing lace bite, and the arches were uncomfortable, they are one shape fits all. Anyway, they refunded my money, which they do if they do not work out. 

On 9/18/2017 at 10:30 AM, bthompson1286 said:

So i skated the other day without footbeds.  I skated without footbeds due to the fact that I was airing out my skates and forgot to put them back in.  This may be weird but I actually preferred the feeling without the footbeds than using super feet.  I felt i could feel the ice way better and had more response than with the super feet.  Has anyone else experienced this?  can someone recommend a very thin footbed so I don't ruin the bottom of my feet?

The reason you felt better is because of few factors:

1) Lower heel to toe offset, less on your toes more balance.

2) Depth, your foot sits lower inside the boot, this means you are now skating in a higher cut boot, so more resistance at the top, that means more material to push against, that means more spring action - more energy transfer. On top of that less lateral movement.

3) If you had lace bite now the laces are slightly higher so you moved from one pressure point to higher pressure point, the higher we go the more meat / fat we have on the front leg so we can withstand more pressure.

I have never used foot beds since Junior High. A lot of people, ex pros, LHS guys think I'm nuts, but the rivets have never bothered me and I like it more. I have never worn socks either unless for pond(if it's cold enough to require).