Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GQRDY

New waxed laces = Skin rubbed off fingers

Wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem,Not 100% sure how it happened.But i hadn't played in 2 months since getting injured, this weekend was my first weekend back and i thought it would be a good idea to put new waxed laces in my skates.

Amway i used to have like hard bits of skin on my two outside fingers from tying my laces.But 2 months of not playing these have healed.So after tying my laces there is what looks like a popped blister on the two fingers, the skin is pretty much rubbed raw.

It was difficult to tie my skates for the next 2 hours i was on, i have tried blister plasters and moleskin but because its right on the joint on the finger they just fall off.

The only thing i can think of is using superglue to cover the raw skin to make some kind of second skin.Does anyone know of any way around this happening again? or the best way to protect the raw skin while it heals.

10 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Use a lace tightener?

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/ar-goalie-wire-lace-tightener.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_S8WtkomwltdIpm0IyBUdi7UaZsqUzNs_xxuV_cs9scJBmwvbdkb7IaAim1EALw_wcB

When I'm tying my skates, I'm not pulling anywhere near hard enough to cause abrasions to my hands.

Mark

i used one of them once and somehow managed to rip most of the middle eyelets out of the boot, they weren't a good pair of boots but that's why i don't use one now.I wasn't pulling that hard either :S

Howdy,

Regardless of the tool being used (fingers or skate tightener), it really sounds like you're tying your skates excessively tight.

I'm not sure if that's because there's another problem or what, but this seems like one of those deals where you go to the doctor and say "It hurts when I do this...".

Mark

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Regardless of the tool being used (fingers or skate tightener), it really sounds like you're tying your skates excessively tight.

I'm not sure if that's because there's another problem or what, but this seems like one of those deals where you go to the doctor and say "It hurts when I do this...".

Mark

i'm not i could tie them much tighter, i am just tying my laces snug.

Edited by GQRDY

10 hours ago, GQRDY said:

The only thing i can think of is using superglue to cover the raw skin to make some kind of second skin.Does anyone know of any way around this happening again? or the best way to protect the raw skin while it heals.

Goes without saying that putting superglue on raw skin is a horrendous idea.  

They have this stuff called liquid bandage. It's antiseptic and hardens almost like nail polish.  It's waterproof and stays on forever until you get bored and peel it.  I've become obsessed with it for small nicks on my fingers or toes that can get caught on fabric.  I use it often before hockey so I don't get hang ails caught on the soft top part of my gloves.  It's phenomenal.  Go to a pharmacy and look around the band aid/ first aid section.

That used to happen to me every year at camp.  My solution was to wrap a cotton wristband around my fingers while tying my skates to protect the skin from tearing. 

21 minutes ago, gerbe3:16 said:

They have this stuff called liquid bandage. It's antiseptic and hardens almost like nail polish.  It's waterproof and stays on forever until you get bored and peel it.  I've become obsessed with it for small nicks on my fingers or toes that can get caught on fabric.  I use it often before hockey so I don't get hang ails caught on the soft top part of my gloves.  It's phenomenal.  Go to a pharmacy and look around the band aid/ first aid section.

Yeah I've found some of that stuff on Amazon, can't find it in any of the shop around me. I've ordered that should be here tomorrow, hope it helps.

• Like 1

I used to get this even with regular laces. My solution was when tightening, instead of using my fingers to grip the laces, I would wrap them around my palms/base of my knuckles and push down with my leg. with my hands just holding still. This distributes the force across your palm and back of your hand, so no ripped skin. Otherwise, as other's have mentioned, skate tightener.

• Like 1

i actually ended up changing the way that i pull my laces tight, which seems to have solved the problem and lets me get them tighter.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:49 PM, gerbe3:16 said:

Just need to wait on the skin healing, i got some of that second skin stuff it helps but you forgot to mention how much it stings when you put it on haha, thanks for the help.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 7:09 AM, GQRDY said:

Wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem,Not 100% sure how it happened.But i hadn't played in 2 months since getting injured, this weekend was my first weekend back and i thought it would be a good idea to put new waxed laces in my skates.

Amway i used to have like hard bits of skin on my two outside fingers from tying my laces.But 2 months of not playing these have healed.So after tying my laces there is what looks like a popped blister on the two fingers, the skin is pretty much rubbed raw.

It was difficult to tie my skates for the next 2 hours i was on, i have tried blister plasters and moleskin but because its right on the joint on the finger they just fall off.

There is a product called new skin.  It will work temporary. It stings when first applied.  Another thing you can try is five minute cure epoxy.  Get the wax laces out of the skates too . Go with the regular laces.  I never have used them but there are these skate tightening hooks  . I have seen people use them.   My self I don't pull my laces hard, just a tug . I can put my finger under the laces from the beginning of the instep to my toes .  

On 11/6/2017 at 11:36 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Be careful with that - it's an easy way to catch an infection.

Indeed it is. Especially when your hand is inside a bacteria-breeding hockey glove.

Do your best to keep it clean. Use Povidone-Iodine solution to kill MRSA and other bacteria.

Did you lace them up when you’re hands were sweaty or damp and your skin soft? I remember tighteting my laces up after a game period and the waxed laces ripped a chunk of skin right off my finger, took a bit to fully heal.