Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

24 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

For custom skates? There is no D/E/EE, the skate is built to the width needed. 

Understood, but how would you categorize all the skates on PSH or that have popped up on SLS? True deciphered the code at the bottom of the boot as EE. Just wondering if they would also make E or if they consider E and EE as the same 

Has anyone tried to add foam, or soft material to the top of a custom boot? Basically to replicate something like Bauer’s comfort edge, I believe it’s called. Trying to stop boot from digging into area above ankles. 

Just now, Healthyscratch said:

Has anyone tried to add foam, or soft material to the top of a custom boot? Basically to replicate something like Bauer’s comfort edge, I believe it’s called. Trying to stop boot from digging into area above ankles. 

Have you tried spot heating and rolling the edge out?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Healthyscratch said:

I have not. So just flare the top portion out a bit? 

Correct- You can use a glass beer/soda bottle to apply outward pressure or just use your hands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Also make sure it's the actual edge of the cuff and not the edge of the tongue. I've noticed this with the felt tongue bc of the wrap and how thick the felt tongue is, it acts like a ridge and this is what digs into my outside shin/ankle. This doesn't happen with the new catalyst tongue bc of how it's lower profile and tapers on the edge. What's funny is that I had the felt tongue with my previous 2 tf customs and no issues but I cannot use the felt with the catalyst pros bc for some reason the felt tongue's edge digs into me. 

Boot height can also play a roll where it's digging into an area that's more boney than your previous skates. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had 2 pairs of VH and 3 pairs of trues.  
Safe to say my first pair of VH that is had done for me with direct communication with Scott has been the best.  The other pairs haven’t been as good as my first pair.  My last pair of trues were maybe a little below my first VH but the pairs in between were all off compared.  I wonder why this was.  The first pair of VH I had done was used my the tracing method and the other pairs were the scan except my last pair of trues.  My last pair of trues I had them use my original file 

Edited by iceman8310

8 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

I’ve had 2 pairs of VH and 3 pairs of trues.  
Safe to say my first pair of VH that is had done for me with direct communication with Scott has been the best.  The other pairs haven’t been as good as my first pair.  My last pair of trues were maybe a little below my first VH but the pairs in between were all off compared.  I wonder why this was.  The first pair of VH I had done was used my the tracing method and the other pairs were the scan except my last pair of trues.  My last pair of trues I had them use my original file 

There's a lot of things that can affect the scan. One would be time of day where the feet are a bit larger at the end of the day or after activity. But the biggest thing imo, is your stance while being scanned. My first ever scan I never knew my right foot pronated when bearing weight. Because of this my arch was completely collapsed on my right foot during the scan and when my skates came my left was 100% perfect but my right felt very odd and sloppy. I eventually was able to figure out I had pronation issues with my right foot and I spot heater my right boot to create more arch support. It was night and day. After that first pair I deliberately made sure I wasn't pronating during the scan and the second skates came out fine. 

Lastly, slightly diff materials being used is another factor. Over the years true has used slightly different carbon weaves and who knows what else has changed in terms of materials and production. 

That's just my experience and what I think affects why different pairs may fit slightly different even if it's your own foot that's being scanned. For me, it I were to order another pair I'd just tell them to use the scan from my latest pair, but I'm probably just going to get their retail skates from now on since there's no turn around and the warranty is actually better for retail skates. 

Cool behind the scenes look at True’s factory.  Wish companies did this more often as its always cool to see how things are made. The last one I recall seeing was CCM when the FT1 came out

Not sure if better here or in its own post, but has anyone tried the new Genetix footbeds?  I have a pair of True, but with the red under liner and blue insole. I wanted to see how drop in easy the Genetix would be or if I was going to run the risk of needing a rebake due to where my foot would be sitting.  They seem squishy.  I'm mostly just coaching these days, on the ice 2-3 times a week, so more looking for comfort.   

I couldn’t stand them. Too thick and squishy for my liking. But I suppose if you’re on your feet all day as a coach maybe they’d work. Just not for me 

On 11/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, Westside said:

I couldn’t stand them. Too thick and squishy for my liking. But I suppose if you’re on your feet all day as a coach maybe they’d work. Just not for me 

Same with me. I prefer the old red blue combo vs the genetix. Prob the worst insoles for me even compared to any stock footbed. Way too thick and squishy. Totally defeats the purpose of a one piece boot and feeling more connected to the ice. 

I've had my custom SVH skates for just over a year now and this being my first custom one piece skate I have nothing to compare to (used Bauer Supremes my whole life) in terms of footbeds.  So I have no issues.  I actually like it.

Is there another footbed available to use to feel more connected as a one piece skate should feel like??

Edited by tcc

On 11/11/2023 at 4:04 PM, tcc said:

I've had my custom SVH skates for just over a year now and this being my first custom one piece skate I have nothing to compare to (used Bauer Supremes my whole life) in terms of footbeds.  So I have no issues.  I actually like it.

Is there another footbed available to use to feel more connected as a one piece skate should feel like??

A lot of players, myself included, find the Bauer Speedplate (or similar) offers the most connection to the ice. However, they are not heavily cushioned. 

I personally do not like super thick insoles or anything with significant foam, as it dulls the feel. Bauer Speedplate: https://www.bauer.com/products/speed-plate-2-0

Many players use Lake Cycling insoles too. They are heat moldable and also provide good feel.  https://www.lakecycling.com/products/custom-insole

Edited by VegasHockey

6 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

A lot of players, myself included, fine the Bauer Speedplate (or similar) offers the most connection to the ice. However, they are not heavily cushioned. I personally do not like super thick insoles or anything with significant foam, as it dulls the feel. Bauer Speedplate: https://www.bauer.com/products/speed-plate-2-0

I have also heard of many players using Lake Cycling insoles too. They are heat moldable and also provide good feel.  https://www.lakecycling.com/products/custom-insole

+1 for Bauer speedplates

• Like 1

Anyone else hate the Velcro they use now and that the tongues aren’t screwed in anymore.  The way they’ve been using the last few years seems very easy to rip.  Tongues also come apart from the Velcro very easy 

1 hour ago, iceman8310 said:

Anyone else hate the Velcro they use now and that the tongues aren’t screwed in anymore.  The way they’ve been using the last few years seems very easy to rip.  Tongues also come apart from the Velcro very easy 

The loop Velcro on the tongues are trash. Just replace them with better ones. 

I've had my right skate velcro on the tongue not sticking within 6 months. Went to the local fabric store and picked up heavy duty ones and sewed over the existing one and it's been rock solid since. The left skate still holds with the stock velcro.......... for now 👍

On 11/12/2023 at 4:10 PM, VegasHockey said:

A lot of players, myself included, find the Bauer Speedplate (or similar) offers the most connection to the ice. However, they are not heavily cushioned. 

I personally do not like super thick insoles or anything with significant foam, as it dulls the feel. Bauer Speedplate: https://www.bauer.com/products/speed-plate-2-0

Many players use Lake Cycling insoles too. They are heat moldable and also provide good feel.  https://www.lakecycling.com/products/custom-insole

I guess I would have to do a re-bake if I were to switch footbeds??? 

22 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

I always recommend a "fast bake" when changing foot beds.

What's considered a "fast bake"?

On 11/27/2023 at 6:20 AM, iceman8310 said:

It will work but unnecessary to have it double sided unless you want it for some reason. A fabric store will have a simple one sided hook and loop. Up to you though this will work but is just thicker bc it's double sided