Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Recommended Posts

Found a good pic showing how Marner doesn't lace the top eyelet. Makes me wonder if the next trend is to start making skates with a much lower cut front fascia to aid in forward flexion while still keeping the sides tall to provide stability. 

kingsley-bell-gets-an-autograph-from-mit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Found a good pic showing how Marner doesn't lace the top eyelet. Makes me wonder if the next trend is to start making skates with a much lower cut front fascia to aid in forward flexion while still keeping the sides tall to provide stability. 

kingsley-bell-gets-an-autograph-from-mit

He laces to the top in games though.

mitch-marner-of-the-toronto-maple-leafs-

I’ve seen a lot of pros skip their full skate setup in practices, or promotional/charitable on ice events, whether it’s skipping an eyelet they’d lace for games (Brett Hull as well as Marner) or not taping their tendon guards (P. Bure, Kovalev, Perron, Bondra, Gretzky). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Found a good pic showing how Marner doesn't lace the top eyelet. Makes me wonder if the next trend is to start making skates with a much lower cut front fascia to aid in forward flexion while still keeping the sides tall to provide stability. 

kingsley-bell-gets-an-autograph-from-mit

Don't think they will since the easy option is just not to lace the top eyelet. It will be too much of a hassle to redesign the skate to appease another category of players when the solution is already there (skip the top eyelet). From just looking at pictures, even though the trend right now seems to be players starting to skip the top eyelet, the majority still tie their skates all the way up.

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Don't think they will since the easy option is just not to lace the top eyelet. It will be too much of a hassle to redesign the skate to appease another category of players when the solution is already there (skip the top eyelet). From just looking at pictures, even though the trend right now seems to be players starting to skip the top eyelet, the majority still tie their skates all the way up.

Also, Marner doesn’t skip the top eyelet, so the inductive argument has no legs in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flip12 said:

Also, Marner doesn’t skip the top eyelet, so the inductive argument has no legs in this case.

Never said he did but just replying to the post above about true changing their design 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I'm looking to buy some trues in the near future after swelling goes down in my ankle after breaking it a few months ago.  But I am currently torn as to whether I want to get the Shift holder or if I should get the speedblade xs.  So i want to get opinions on both. And if people have used both which one the prefer. Also if you like the SB XS better would it be worth roughly $180 to upgrade to them?

Also if anyone knows a good shop in MN in the twin cities area that does good scanning and the proper baking technique, that would be great to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 9:36 AM, Tnor31 said:

Hey, I'm looking to buy some trues in the near future after swelling goes down in my ankle after breaking it a few months ago.  But I am currently torn as to whether I want to get the Shift holder or if I should get the speedblade xs.  So i want to get opinions on both. And if people have used both which one the prefer. Also if you like the SB XS better would it be worth roughly $180 to upgrade to them?

Also if anyone knows a good shop in MN in the twin cities area that does good scanning and the proper baking technique, that would be great to know.

If you want the ability to use aftermarket steel like Flare, STEP, Tydan, Byonic, BladeTech, or others then you will want to go with the XS holders.

Otherwise, the SHIFT holder is absolutely fantastic!

I have used both find they both have their own pros and cons. The SHIFT holder combination is probably the lightest option on the market and has the greatest attack angle. The XS holder is great, the mechanical mechanism works great and the holders are very stiff and rigid. They do not seem to break down nearly as fast as TUUK Edge holders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a pair of 1.5 year old Trues with the clarino liner that I skate on 3-5 times a week and I'm starting to wear through the liner: https://imgur.com/a/s9ve0AA

It's actually starting to cut into whatever the black material under the liner.  I tuck my tongues under my shinpads so they definitely aren't the cause. 

Has anyone else experienced this wear?  I assume it's where the the tongues rub but I'm not sure since it's relatively far back.  Can I get this repaired?  I assume this is eventually going to cause things to fall apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, xfrost11 said:

I've got a pair of 1.5 year old Trues with the clarino liner that I skate on 3-5 times a week and I'm starting to wear through the liner: https://imgur.com/a/s9ve0AA

It's actually starting to cut into whatever the black material under the liner.  I tuck my tongues under my shinpads so they definitely aren't the cause. 

Has anyone else experienced this wear?  I assume it's where the the tongues rub but I'm not sure since it's relatively far back.  Can I get this repaired?  I assume this is eventually going to cause things to fall apart. 

Use some of this to prevent the wear from getting worse.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Liquid-Electrical-Tape/dp/B0000AXNOD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Or Barge cement thin leather over the wear area. 

Do this. But def do something about it before it gets worse. Does it show similar wear on that side of the tongue as well? Maybe consider getting fresh tongues or the new pro tongues... That might help. Do they other skates show any similar wear as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tnor31 said:

Oh wow! So is clarino more durable or what is the benefit over moisture wicking?

More durable but it also doesn't absorb moisture so the skates stay lighter and dont get waterlogged. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can’t fathom the moisture wicking liner being very durable. I like the way the clarino really seems to grip as it gets wet.
 

All that being said, I think it’s time for new skates. My VH don’t feel like they used to. Likely a combination of the foams compressing from age and my foot shape changing since I ordered them. A rebake may fix it, but I want a cowlingless skate anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just can’t fathom the moisture wicking liner being very durable. I like the way the clarino really seems to grip as it gets wet.
 

All that being said, I think it’s time for new skates. My VH don’t feel like they used to. Likely a combination of the foams compressing from age and my foot shape changing since I ordered them. A rebake may fix it, but I want a cowlingless skate anyway. 

The moisture-wicking liner is not very durable comparatively. If you are wanting a skate to last many years you definitely do not want that option.

Also, it's not a grip fabric either, so while it soaks up moisture well I also find the grip is less than the grey clarino too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just can’t fathom the moisture wicking liner being very durable. I like the way the clarino really seems to grip as it gets wet.
 

All that being said, I think it’s time for new skates. My VH don’t feel like they used to. Likely a combination of the foams compressing from age and my foot shape changing since I ordered them. A rebake may fix it, but I want a cowlingless skate anyway. 

I found the clarino actually gets slippery. It's not an issue if I wear goin socks though, and the latest Bauer cut resistance socks are very good in grip as well bc of the Kevlar fibres. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I found the clarino actually gets slippery. It's not an issue if I wear goin socks though, and the latest Bauer cut resistance socks are very good in grip as well bc of the Kevlar fibres. 

It gets a little slippery because it doesn't absorb the moisture. If you want it to get grippy like standard untreated clarino then you want the tan liner. 

The moisture-wicking fabric liners soak up water but arent a grippy material. I find the skates get waterlogged very quickly, take a long time to dry out, and the liners wear much faster than the tan or grey clarino. 

One of the guys I skate with applies this (below) to the inside of his skates to make the grey clarino super tacky. He says he washes it off after every few weeks with warm water and soap and then reapplies it. I dont know what is in the product or anything really more than what he has told me. He claims it works wonders and doesn't ruin his socks or skates. YMMV. 

https://www.doversaddlery.com/tack-up-grip-spray/p/X1-31009/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t realize the grey and tan were different. Mine are tan. I guess that explains why I said it’s grippy and somebody else said slippery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got mine last Thursday and was in them for a good three hours the first day...fantastic comfort.  My only wonder is how long the steel in the shift holders is going to last - seems tiny compared to the Step steel on my old Bauer’s with Tuuk holders...I know that’s why they gave us two sets of steel but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JV23 said:

I just got mine last Thursday and was in them for a good three hours the first day...fantastic comfort.  My only wonder is how long the steel in the shift holders is going to last - seems tiny compared to the Step steel on my old Bauer’s with Tuuk holders...I know that’s why they gave us two sets of steel but...

Ya two sets is nice but also means 2x the profiling, unless you like the stick profile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Ya two sets is nice but also means 2x the profiling, unless you like the stick profile. 

I profiled both of my sets twice, the first profile had too much pitch so I had to take some out the second time. Both sets have been used/sharpened for about 5 months and are around their half life at this point. It think you should be able to get about 18 months of life from each set of steel if you only profiled them once. That's 36 months between the two if you sharpen one of the sets a week, which is more than typical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I profiled both of my sets twice, the first profile had too much pitch so I had to take some out the second time. Both sets have been used/sharpened for about 5 months and are around their half life at this point. It think you should be able to get about 18 months of life from each set of steel if you only profiled them once. That's 36 months between the two if you sharpen one of the sets a week, which is more than typical. 

Thanks for the feedback.  That’s not horrible...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...