Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I just went today to get fitted for new True's. I ended up going with the extra shot protection and the low-profile tongue. I saw all the tongues and I felt that one was the least intrusive and the guys said that it forms really nicely when you bake it. Going in I was kinda set on the T-guard, but he said it's kinda overkill and even though it's the "low-profile" tongue, it has some thickness to it. I tuck my tongues so there's not really that much that shows under my shinpad. I thought the scan was really cool too. Looking at them after, I was impressed with how well it captures. I'm also having the steel profiled with a 9/10 combo. I really interested to see the difference between these and my current skates which are Bauer X90's with Step Blacksteel.

Now the waiting game begins. 4 Weeks until the beauties arrive!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dasuchin said:

First actual game in the skates last night and they were fantastic. I took the red insole out on the left skate because I felt like I had too much arch support in that one, but left them in on the right skate. Absolutely zero pain throughout the whole game. That's the first time I've skated through a game and never had any foot pain.

You should just do the arch cutout technique on the red insole on the left skate rather than removing it completely. Might be just me but I'd be too ocd to know one skate had less volume than the other lol. The arch support shouldn't really change if u completely take the red insole out bc it adds volume to the entire sole of the skate not just the arch. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

You should just do the arch cutout technique on the red insole on the left skate rather than removing it completely. Might be just me but I'd be too ocd to know one skate had less volume than the other lol. The arch support shouldn't really change if u completely take the red insole out bc it adds volume to the entire sole of the skate not just the arch. 

I'll probably request another red insole and give that a shot, I want to get the thin tongue to try anyway. I didn't really notice a difference in volume though.

2 minutes ago, dasuchin said:

I'll probably request another red insole and give that a shot, I want to get the thin tongue to try anyway. I didn't really notice a difference in volume though.

I ditched both my red insoles and use speed plates I like it to be firm on the bottom of my feet and as little cushion as possible. Gives me better feel. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I ditched both my red insoles and use speed plates I like it to be firm on the bottom of my feet and as little cushion as possible. Gives me better feel. 

I haven't tried speed plates. I have some superfeet sitting around that I could try, but I'm betting it'll feel too much like I'm on my toes when skating.

5 hours ago, dasuchin said:

I haven't tried speed plates. I have some superfeet sitting around that I could try, but I'm betting it'll feel too much like I'm on my toes when skating.

I would choose the stock foot beds over super feet since the Trues arch is made to yours. Superfeet will defeat the purpose of the skate being custom. 

• Like 1

I am in the "process" of getting my first pair of True's and wanted to share a couple a couple observations.  

OVERVIEW: I've been skating on Bauer one95 10.5 D with a Tuuk 296 holder for the past 10 years.  Love the skates, but they are starting to fall apart.  In my new skates, I was choosing between the Supreme 2S Pro 10D and the True's.  I was able to try on a size 10 True goalie skate at my LHS and really enjoyed the tight fit.  Ordered the True's with low profile tongue, Black Step, and without extra shot blocking protection.  Did the scan and highlighted a couple "hot spots" on my foot.

OBSERVATION #1: My LHS called me yesterday and let me know my skates were in.  I headed up to get them baked and sharpened.  I was able to put my skates on before they were baked and they were HUGE!  The fitter was surprised I was able to get them on so easily, but suggested we bake them to get rid of the negative space.  The skates were baked and we started the "fitting" process.  He immediately recognized the amount of extra room in the toe cap area.  (I was amazed at how soft the skates got in the baking process).  It was quickly evident to the fitter that we would not be able to get the proper fit.  The skates had the "fillers" in the toe cap and we could make the skates bigger, but not smaller.  The fitter did a new scan and are having new skates made.

Assumption #1  On the order sheet, they ask you what type and size skate/holder you are currently wearing.  I told them One95, 10.5D, 296, but I wrote in that the 10.5D were too big.  I assume now that they are using that information to determine what carbon fiber form they start the design process with and the holder size.  I believe that if I had put the sizing of the 2S Pro (10D,288) I would not have had the boot built with too large of a foundation.  I wish my LHS had a better understanding of the process and done a better job ensuring that we provided the correct information to true to ensure a better result.  My recommendation is Do not assume that they just use your scan to build the "custom" skate.  I was clear with my LHS that I was cool with a 288 holder knowing that is what comes on size 10 skates.  I wish that information had made its way to True.

OBSERVATION #2: True's customer service does not answer the phone or return phone calls.  They also are not good at returning emails.  I tried to contact them early in the process to change from the low profile tongue to the white felt tongue, but I could not get anyone to call me/email me back.  We will see how good customer service is with the skate redo.

OBSERVATION #3: They do not do initials or numbers on the low profile tongue.  I requested initials on the tongue and it was not done.

I am excited about getting the skates, but I am bummed I have to wait a few more weeks to get a pair that fit.  I have one question....

Will the holes for the shift holder line up with LSE holders if I decide to change them out?  I assume they don't because the shift holder is not left/right specific.  Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Ship said:

I am in the "process" of getting my first pair of True's and wanted to share a couple a couple observations.  

OVERVIEW: I've been skating on Bauer one95 10.5 D with a Tuuk 296 holder for the past 10 years.  Love the skates, but they are starting to fall apart.  In my new skates, I was choosing between the Supreme 2S Pro 10D and the True's.  I was able to try on a size 10 True goalie skate at my LHS and really enjoyed the tight fit.  Ordered the True's with low profile tongue, Black Step, and without extra shot blocking protection.  Did the scan and highlighted a couple "hot spots" on my foot.

OBSERVATION #1: My LHS called me yesterday and let me know my skates were in.  I headed up to get them baked and sharpened.  I was able to put my skates on before they were baked and they were HUGE!  The fitter was surprised I was able to get them on so easily, but suggested we bake them to get rid of the negative space.  The skates were baked and we started the "fitting" process.  He immediately recognized the amount of extra room in the toe cap area.  (I was amazed at how soft the skates got in the baking process).  It was quickly evident to the fitter that we would not be able to get the proper fit.  The skates had the "fillers" in the toe cap and we could make the skates bigger, but not smaller.  The fitter did a new scan and are having new skates made.

Assumption #1  On the order sheet, they ask you what type and size skate/holder you are currently wearing.  I told them One95, 10.5D, 296, but I wrote in that the 10.5D were too big.  I assume now that they are using that information to determine what carbon fiber form they start the design process with and the holder size.  I believe that if I had put the sizing of the 2S Pro (10D,288) I would not have had the boot built with too large of a foundation.  I wish my LHS had a better understanding of the process and done a better job ensuring that we provided the correct information to true to ensure a better result.  My recommendation is Do not assume that they just use your scan to build the "custom" skate.  I was clear with my LHS that I was cool with a 288 holder knowing that is what comes on size 10 skates.  I wish that information had made its way to True.

OBSERVATION #2: True's customer service does not answer the phone or return phone calls.  They also are not good at returning emails.  I tried to contact them early in the process to change from the low profile tongue to the white felt tongue, but I could not get anyone to call me/email me back.  We will see how good customer service is with the skate redo.

OBSERVATION #3: They do not do initials or numbers on the low profile tongue.  I requested initials on the tongue and it was not done.

I am excited about getting the skates, but I am bummed I have to wait a few more weeks to get a pair that fit.  I have one question....

Will the holes for the shift holder line up with LSE holders if I decide to change them out?  I assume they don't because the shift holder is not left/right specific.  Thoughts?

They use your current skate information to help determine how you like your skates to fit. Some people hate their toes being smashed into the tow of the skate while others prefer no negative space at all. This should be noted by your fitter. 

They always reply to my emails and my customer's emails. Not sure which email address you are sending to?.

The SHIFT holder is symmetrical, the right is the same as the left. No other holder on the market is designed this way. No other holder can be swapped in place of it. You would need to drill out all new holes. If you want to change holders to the XS, LSE, or anything else, specify this and dont have them install the SHIFT holder. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

They use your current skate information to help determine how you like your skates to fit. Some people hate their toes being smashed into the tow of the skate while others prefer no negative space at all. This should be noted by your fitter. 

They always reply to my emails and my customer's emails. Not sure which email address you are sending to?.

The SHIFT holder is symmetrical, the right is the same as the left. No other holder on the market is designed this way. No other holder can be swapped in place of it. You would need to drill out all new holes. If you want to change holders to the XS, LSE, or anything else, specify this and dont have them install the SHIFT holder. 

Used the email form on the website.  My LHS wanted me to make the tongue change request directly to True (which I thought was odd since the LHS would not include my email in the normal email order updates that True supplies).

Thanks for the 411 on the shift holder.  

To be clear, I am not disappointed with True that my skates came back too big.  I believe that they are only as good as the information shared by the fitter.  I tried my best to communicate my preferences to the fitter, but it is clear that information did not make it to the True boot makers.  Could either be a training issue with the LHS or a low give a s@#t factor.  Seems like they should have communicated that the 10 True goalie skate fit well and I fit in a current 2S Pro 10D.  If I could do it over, I would have filled out the current skate information differently and ordered through a different LHS.

As stated already the scan and current skate size is used to determine how you like your skates to fit. I like as little room as possible and like my toes to brush the cap. Some ppl like their skates half size bigger than that is considered a "proper" fit. Your fitter should make a note to have the skates built off the brannock and scan only and not previous skate size and holder size. And note whether you want no room or 1/2 size room in toe cap etc. 

Secondly you CAN get initials put on the low profile tongue. I've seen it. So not sure what is going on there on your end. It's literally the same piece of material sewn onto the low profile tongue as the other standard or t guard tongues. 

For me I could get my foot inside my skate pre bake as well bc I have pretty skinny ankles. I personally don't think true makes the eyelet/wrap area custom to your ankle size bc I've seen ppl with skates that vary from barely passing if not failing the pencil test to almost seeming as it the boot has too much volume. True can get away with this bc of how mouldable the boot, and in particular, the facing is. 

For my next pair I actually might request them to have the facing/eyelets reduced half an inch. 

I'll report back when I get mine in but I didn't have to fill anything out. My fitter did all the paperwork and then went over it with me at the end and even let me take a picture of the form. Also, the LHS should be the ones doing the calling/emailing for you during the process since it's technically their order. You can definitely get numbers/letters on the low profile tongue as I was debating on doing it, but decided to for-go it. How long did they say it would take to get the new skates?

3 minutes ago, darkhors said:

I'll report back when I get mine in but I didn't have to fill anything out. My fitter did all the paperwork and then went over it with me at the end and even let me take a picture of the form. Also, the LHS should be the ones doing the calling/emailing for you during the process since it's technically their order. You can definitely get numbers/letters on the low profile tongue as I was debating on doing it, but decided to for-go it. How long did they say it would take to get the new skates?

Ugh......Getting a bit more frustrated with my experience based on the reply's.  

Do not have an ETA on the new skates.  They were going to "discuss" with their manager today and contact True.

Disappointed that they did not put my initials on the tongue when it was clearly on the order sheet.  I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and assumed that they couldn't do it on the low profile.  My bad for assuming.

I am quickly losing faith in the LHS and fitter, but I'm hopeful this ends well.

Pretty surprised on the customer service note.  Every time I've contacted True, they have either e-mailed or called me directly pretty quickly.  Usually, they call, since it's easier for them to understand/explain situations.

And yes, what your LHS does is vital to this process.  My fitter at my LHS did the 3d scans, took pictures, took down my info for my previous pair of skates (what I liked, didn't like about them, any mods, etc), and noted a bunch more information about my feet and my fit preferences.  My skates were pretty much spot on when they arrived (except for a toe insert in one of my skates which made my toes a little too close to the cap, but was easily taken out).  Like most things, it's pretty important that the fitter knows what they're doing and is very thorough.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

Advanced issue found

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

For my next pair I actually might request them to have the facing/eyelets reduced half an inch. 

I did this. Was the best decision I ever made. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 1

Advanced issue found

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I  did this and love it.

3 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I  did this and love it.

U able post pics of the difference? Is the reduction throughout the entire facing or just the top 3-4 eyelets. 

13 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

U able post pics of the difference? Is the reduction throughout the entire facing or just the top 3-4 eyelets. 

What is the benefit of the facing reduction?

13 minutes ago, Ship said:

What is the benefit of the facing reduction?

I assume just so the boot is easier to get on and off. Sacrificing a bit of wrap to do so. I may do the same so I don’t need to keep using a shoe horn every time I put my skates on.

I disagree on not going with Superfeet. Only thing I used to get my player skates comfortable. But it was the VERY last thing I tried.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I assume just so the boot is easier to get on and off. Sacrificing a bit of wrap to do so. I may do the same so I don’t need to keep using a shoe horn every time I put my skates on.

For me it wouldnt be bc of putting on and taking off as I can do so without a shoe horn and only top eyelet undone. I just find bc my ankles are so skinny that when I do a full and proper wrap it only leaves about 1.5 inches of space between opposing facings which, imo, cause a bit too much wrap when the laces are tied up. Not sure if it makes sense. Basically I want to reduce the volume of the boot and not have the facing wrapped as much as it does right now to achieve this. 

uQbKUai.jpgHere's a pic of what mine look like. The area between the facing gets reduced a bit more when tightened. 

Who knows. Maybe the skates were meant to wrap as much as possible so you're not so dependant on the actual laces in keeping the foot locked in and the volume of the boot can be altered simple by the facings wrapping more on a low volume foot and wrap less for a higher volume foot and the fit/performance isn't affected. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Hills said:

I disagree on not going with Superfeet. Only thing I used to get my player skates comfortable. But it was the VERY last thing I tried.

For me the Super Feet took up too much volume and ruined the feel of the skate. They also pitched me too far forward, but I do use profiled steel so that is expected. I also couldn't feel my edges as well with them compared to the Speed Plate

2 hours ago, Hills said:

I am a FIRM believer in superfeet. I just think they defeat the point of a boot made for your foot. 

• Like 1