Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I'm looking to get a new pair of Trues to replace some I have that are dying.  They're a remade pair with the tan liner which was a special addition when I had them remade several years ago due to a heel slippage issue.  I see "clarino" liner online now, but reading recent posts on this thread it seems like they're offering a grey clarino liner and a moisture wicking liner as stock options.  How can I get a new pair with the same tan clarino liner that I have now?  Is that a special option I can get added when I get scanned?

21 hours ago, xfrost11 said:

I'm looking to get a new pair of Trues to replace some I have that are dying.  They're a remade pair with the tan liner which was a special addition when I had them remade several years ago due to a heel slippage issue.  I see "clarino" liner online now, but reading recent posts on this thread it seems like they're offering a grey clarino liner and a moisture wicking liner as stock options.  How can I get a new pair with the same tan clarino liner that I have now?  Is that a special option I can get added when I get scanned?

The shop doing the order needs to request it specifically for you. 

On 2/11/2020 at 8:11 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

The shop doing the order needs to request it specifically for you. 

Looks like they didn't.  Skate's not in production yet though so maybe I can add it.

7 minutes ago, xfrost11 said:

Looks like they didn't.  Skate's not in production yet though so maybe I can add it.

Apparently Tan Clarino is only available at the pro level and isn't available at the retail level.  The person I spoke to said that the regular clarino option is the same materal, only colored, to make the skate look more like other skates (and less expensive - maybe in volume?).  He said I probably got tan clarino last time because it was a remake and they didn't offer a retail clarino at the time.

Finally took the plunge and got scanned for skates today. I knew my feet were different sizes (as almost everyone’s) but was really surprised to see the difference in width and arch. Didn’t go with any of the add ons, standard felt tongue and black color although I was tempted to go white as I loved the Air 90s. 

I've had mine for about month now and after having one spot heated and adjusted, I can say with 100% confidence that this was the best skate purchase I've ever made. These things feel sooo good on your feet. I think I mentioned this before, but I have custom insoles in my Bauer x90's and don't need anything special in the True skates. They are by far the most comfortable skate I've ever worn.

39 minutes ago, mjpisat said:

How have these been durability and quality wise?

I've had mine for about a year.  And have no issues at all. Functionally or esthetics. Mind you I only skate once a week. My last pair lasted over a year and again no issues at all. No premature wearing of the liners etc. 

16 hours ago, mjpisat said:

How have these been durability and quality wise?

I can't speak to durability just yet as I've only had them a month, but quality is good. The boot looks great, the holder looks and works great and overall I'm very pleased with how they were made. I'm hoping these will last me at least 4-5 years as I'm still wearing my Vapor X90's to coach in and they're about 5 seasons old now. I could continue to wear those, albeit the liners are starting to get too compacted, but the skate is still in good physical shape.

I got mine mid December and I skate 3-4 times a week. I haven't seen any abnormal wear.

I have noticed the last two skates that the left skate has a click when I walk. Anyone have that? Sounds like the steel is a little loose or something? I don't notice anything when skating, just started hearing a click when I walk. Using the shift holder.

1 hour ago, dasuchin said:

left skate has a click when I walk. Anyone have that? Sounds like the steel is a little loose or something? I don't notice anything when skating, just started hearing a click when I walk. Using the shift holder.

I've experienced this with the older holders, drove me nuts and I had to swap them out. TRUE did send me new ones though, but I didn't want to chance it.

My unverified theory is that the holders can't take the long bake temps, and they weaken or loosen up.

4 hours ago, dasuchin said:

I got mine mid December and I skate 3-4 times a week. I haven't seen any abnormal wear.

I have noticed the last two skates that the left skate has a click when I walk. Anyone have that? Sounds like the steel is a little loose or something? I don't notice anything when skating, just started hearing a click when I walk. Using the shift holder.

Mine does that but it's the tendon guard that clicks so I'm not concerned.

Edited by Larry54

The bake temps def have some influence on noises that the holders make. Whether it be the steel or the rivets. The expansion and contracting from hot cold etc... Don't think it really has any detrimental effect besides being really annoying. 

4 hours ago, Giltis said:

Yeah honestly, I didn't feel it when I was skating. It probably would have been fine, but I'm extremely particular about the feel of my skates.

I'm ocd when it comes to skates and sticks lol. Didn't help when I had edge holders for that short time. Since using the an 4.0s the last year I haven't had to worry about loose steel and the rivets have all been solid so far. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

I think I’m going to go get scanned for new goalie skates. Does anyone have experience at either Pure Hockey in Anaheim or Hockey Monkey in Irvine? It’s about an hour away either way. I just want to make sure the fitters are competent and they use the correct techniques when baking. 

Opted for True for my first pair of custom skates. Aside from one small spot at the back that needs some more glue, I am quite happy with them. Skating pain-free with my WIDE feet is incredible. One thing that was recommended to me when getting fitted was to get a boot dryer. After skating on them for the first time last night, the inside dried just fine overnight. Is a boot dryer necessary? What are the advantages of getting one? Will it extend the life of the skate? If I do get one, what's the highest temperature that the skates should be dried at?

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

I use one of these to dry my skates and gloves. I turn the timer up all the way to 3 hours but I leave the heat switch OFF so only room temperature air is pumped through them.

Im spoiled. In AZ all I need to do is spray my stuff down with my special cleaning mixture and then hang it in the garage. In a few hours its nice and dry.

Every couple of weeks I like to lay my stuff out by the pool to let it get some sun and to allow the UV to kill of bacteria as well. Cant leave it out too long in the summer though as the sun will wreck most anything you leave out for too long. 

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I use one of these to dry my skates and gloves. I turn the timer up all the way to 3 hours but I leave the heat switch OFF so only room temperature air is pumped through them.

The local Can Tire had some left so I picked one up. Still not sure if I NEED it, but I have other convenient uses for it, so I figured why not. Now if only I can shin pads for refs in town, which is a whole different ball game lol.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Van67 said:

Opted for True for my first pair of custom skates. Aside from one small spot at the back that needs some more glue, I am quite happy with them. Skating pain-free with my WIDE feet is incredible. One thing that was recommended to me when getting fitted was to get a boot dryer. After skating on them for the first time last night, the inside dried just fine overnight. Is a boot dryer necessary? What are the advantages of getting one? Will it extend the life of the skate? If I do get one, what's the highest temperature that the skates should be dried at?

Certainly can't hurt, but not absolutely necessary I think unless you play a lot or you sweat heavily.  I just take my insoles out to make sure the skate dries out fully, usually overnight.

21 hours ago, Van67 said:

I use these. 

https://canada.drysure.co/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1-3yBRCmARIsAN7B4H1HxVpYwS6tUhYxWwX7GtShwktlWEyza7J3ey2i0MotIUIHGXAjwOwaAl9PEALw_wcB