Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
darkhors

Lightest Shoulder pads Out

Hey guys,

I'm currently using some cheap winnwells, but they are getting to the end of life and I feel like I should get something a little more protective, specifically for my lower back. That said, can you guys give me a few examples of some protective (not super duper protective) and very light shoulders? I play beer league B/C level's and I'm tired of getting cross-checks in my lower back without padding 🙂

Thanks!

I really like my mid level CCMs from a few years back (U12's, I think). I think the newer gen Jetspeed ones look pretty similar. The absolute lightest? Not sure, but I never notice wearing them, and the shoulder caps seem protective but not bulky. The spine protection seems pretty good.

As always, go with what fits you best.

1 hour ago, darkhors said:

Hey guys,

I'm currently using some cheap winnwells, but they are getting to the end of life and I feel like I should get something a little more protective, specifically for my lower back. That said, can you guys give me a few examples of some protective (not super duper protective) and very light shoulders? I play beer league B/C level's and I'm tired of getting cross-checks in my lower back without padding 🙂

Thanks!

I currently wear Reebok kfs hybrids. They are light but lack protection for the chest and upper back ( I'm wearing a size smaller than I probably should in my case) and the padded shirt does not compare to the protection in the areas that a top pair would offer. But I find the lower back protection great.

28 minutes ago, nutters said:

I currently wear Reebok kfs hybrids. They are light but lack protection for the chest and upper back ( I'm wearing a size smaller than I probably should in my case) and the padded shirt does not compare to the protection in the areas that a top pair would offer. But I find the lower back protection great.

Yeah, I'm not super concerned with the upper back as much as just having some decent padding in the lower back and also not having huge should caps.

I would have suggested the sherwood stuff if you hadn't mentioned the lower back. The new Jetspeed FT1 are RIDICULOUSLY light. By far the lightest shoulder pads I've ever tried on. Of course they come with a hefty price tag but if weight and protection are your top two criteria then that's what I'd go with. I'm sure the lower ends of the line are pretty light, too. 

4 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I would have suggested the sherwood stuff if you hadn't mentioned the lower back. The new Jetspeed FT1 are RIDICULOUSLY light. By far the lightest shoulder pads I've ever tried on. Of course they come with a hefty price tag but if weight and protection are your top two criteria then that's what I'd go with. I'm sure the lower ends of the line are pretty light, too. 

That's good know. I'm not looking at dropping a boat load of money on shoulders. I just want something that's light and has decent lower back protection. I'll take a look at the new Jetspeed line, maybe the middle of the road model will fit the budget.

11 hours ago, darkhors said:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

The CCM Jet Speed line is lightweight while also offering a considerable amount of protection. If you are looking for something even lighter you might want to consider a high-level lacrosse chest protector/shoulder pad. Many of the guys I skate with use them and love them. They are lightweight, flexible, and still offer quite a bit or protection. 

https://www.lacrossemonkey.com/clearance/clearance-mens-equipment/clearance-mens-shoulder-protection.html

• Like 1

I have the previous gen CCM Quicklite QLTs. They are very light, mostly HD foams and minimal plastic. When debating between them and the Vapor 1Xs last year, I liked the QLTs much better. You might find them on clearance and a better value than the current generation CCM Jetspeeds. 

I use Bauer vapor X700. Light, cheap, and offer enough protection you'll ever need (use them for A league play). I saw a locker room shot of Ilya Kovalchuk  from last year.  He was using X700 in KHL.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:13 PM, clarkiestooth said:

I use Bauer vapor X700. Light, cheap, and offer enough protection you'll ever need (use them for A league play). I saw a locker room shot of Ilya Kovalchuk  from last year.  He was using X700 in KHL.

That might be the one. I can find them for a decent price and it looks like they have decent spine protection.