Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

True sticks - Grip Gone Tacky

I have one of the original 5.2 pros in my basement, which is pretty normal basement temp.

- Its grip feels the same as when I bought it, so I’d think it’s more the heat than the time. 

- I wish the blade wasn’t shot, it was one of my favorite sticks. 

(I had a brand new 5.2 and brand new nexus 8000 stolen from a rink when I left them there after a game. Every True stick thread is total trigger warning.)

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, start_today said:

I have one of the original 5.2 pros in my basement, which is pretty normal basement temp.

- Its grip feels the same as when I bought it, so I’d think it’s more the heat than the time. 

- I wish the blade wasn’t shot, it was one of my favorite sticks. 

(I had a brand new 5.2 and brand new nexus 8000 stolen from a rink when I left them there after a game. Every True stick thread is total trigger warning.)

Oh yeah no question it’s the heat!

FWIW I have an A6.0 where the grip coat turned to goo (stored indoors).  I tried GooGone to remove it but it made it worse.  Nail polish remover did the trick without hurting the graphics underneath.  

25 minutes ago, BNHhockey said:

FWIW I have an A6.0 where the grip coat turned to goo (stored indoors).  I tried GooGone to remove it but it made it worse.  Nail polish remover did the trick without hurting the graphics underneath.  

Xylene works good too. 

Old thread, but new bumps so I'll chime in.  All my old True sticks, which were stored in the same place as all my other sticks, did get much tackier/stickier over time.  Sticks still in great condition, but the grip feels like adhesive now. I just sprayed some clear coat on it and it's all good.

Interesting thread........ I've been using CCM Pro stocks for a while now, but just before I switched, I had a Bauer 1S Pro retail stick replaced under warranty.  The brand new, un-used stick has been standing in the same place as the rest of my sticks ( all ccm's with grip ) for the last two+ years now.  Recently I grabbed the stick to look at something and I noticed that the stick appeared to have almost been almost sprayed with a sticky solution of some sort.  Based on the location of the stick, there is no way anything sticky could have or would have been sprayed on or near the sticks. As for temperature, my garage really doesn't get over 85 degrees or so, even in the middle of the summer.   For the life of me, i couldn't figure out why it was sticky and not a hard rubbery grip finish.  I ended up wiping it down with some lacquer thinner and it cleaned up fine.  It has the hard rubbery grip finish again,  but I don't think its as grippy as it was when it was new.  My CCM's that stand in the same spot, never had this sticky finish problem and I still have a couple pro stocks waiting in the wings that are a few years old right next to the bauer.

Very odd

Edited by noupf

After thinking I escaped this problem with my True AX9 shaft that I use for roller, I’ve noticed the grip becoming an issue. For those who spray painted it, did you use solvent to strip the finish beforehand? If so, just acetone and a rag? For those that sprayed it, what specific spray paint did you use? 

3 hours ago, Westside said:

After thinking I escaped this problem with my True AX9 shaft that I use for roller, I’ve noticed the grip becoming an issue. For those who spray painted it, did you use solvent to strip the finish beforehand? If so, just acetone and a rag? For those that sprayed it, what specific spray paint did you use? 

I used liquid citrustrip and it basically left me with a non grip True stick once cleaned up. 
did the same with a Warrior and it took the decals clean off with it. So be careful and also prepared. 

edit; when I say liquid I mean this, not the spray stuff

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Citristrip-1-qt-Safer-Paint-and-Varnish-Stripping-Gel-Non-NMP-QCSG801/307416109

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer

Thanks guys. I evened out the existing grip so there weren’t any rough areas and threw on some automotive clear. We’ll see how it fares once everything is dry 

I've got a couple True sticks that were rendered useless due to becoming a sticky mess after a couple months. Just tried the acetone. Waisted about 30 minutes thoroughly applying acetone. Within 15 minutes, the stickiness began leaching out of the sticks again. I would think that a company selling a $300 stick would do some type of actual testing. Garbage product, seems to be par for True.

7 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

I've got a couple True sticks that were rendered useless due to becoming a sticky mess after a couple months. Just tried the acetone. Waisted about 30 minutes thoroughly applying acetone. Within 15 minutes, the stickiness began leaching out of the sticks again. I would think that a company selling a $300 stick would do some type of actual testing. Garbage product, seems to be par for True.

Weird and factually incorrect comment.

Howdy,

Its definitely annoying that whatever True is using for a grip coating turns so sticky / gummy.  I've got a number of 5-ish year old sticks that will need to have the coating stripped off before you'd want to play with them.

Mark

Do you guys stockpile sticks you like in case the government passes legislation against one piece sticks? How do you all have so many 3+ year old sticks you’re planning to use again?

Howdy,

4 minutes ago, start_today said:

Do you guys stockpile sticks you like in case the government passes legislation against one piece sticks? How do you all have so many 3+ year old sticks you’re planning to use again?

In my case its because I'm an idiot and get bored easily.  So... "Hey, that's a great deal, I should buy that" or "I want to try a new pattern / flex" or "I tried this new pattern and liked it ok, so now I need a backup stick and a dryland stick" etc.

Mark

I originally grabbed a can of Krylon gloss clear coat as it was the closest option I could find. After two days and two coats of spray the stick still felt tacky and not in a way I prefer. Ended up driving to pick up a can of Rustoleum satin clear enamel spray paint, gave it two coats, left it overnight, and the stick seems perfect now

2v2ekyc4gx1YqB.jpg

Edited by Westside