Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Keeping, em LOW!

Hey All...working on wristers...low and hard. Seems no matter where I release, how far forward or back I bring it in the windup, how much I roll my hands, how deep I bend on the forward follow-through...my shot wants to stay a minimum of a foot off the ice...errrr...garage floor. If I ease way up off the gas...I have a little better time of it, but...not gonna score on those.  Every once and awhile...I get a nice low hard one, but I can't put my finger on how.  Any thoughts? I'm using a P92, and I  am hoping that a P88 is not the answer cuz I love that P92/29/ W03 for everything else! Interesting enough...boomers...those I can put wherever I want fairly consistently. I'm teaching remotely, so...I have a lot of practice time 🤬😎

P92 and equivalent curves I find very easy to elevate the puck. Even more so on a P28. If you can find a P88 curve to mess around with I bet you'll get what you want out of the low and hard placement. I too am very fond of the P92 curve and found it hard to elevate with the P88, but the P88 excelled at pass accuracy and low corners - for me anyways - everyone is different.

I can try one for rec. wherein I gotta keep it low or hurt someone...use the P92 for my upper league games.  I wonder if that'll screw up all the stuff that is second nature with the 92? Only one way to find out I guess 🤣

1 hour ago, Jbear said:

I can try one for rec. wherein I gotta keep it low or hurt someone...use the P92 for my upper league games.  I wonder if that'll screw up all the stuff that is second nature with the 92? Only one way to find out I guess 🤣

The P88 is a lower lie and the blade is a bit shorter. It's fairly easy to go back and forth, but there will definitely be an adjustment period every time you switch.  For me it's about 2 or 3 shifts, depending on how much I handle the puck.

Keeping shots low with the P92 is actually pretty easy.  Just concentrate on rolling your wrists over when you shoot, and shoot more from the middle or mid-heel part of the blade.

Appreciate the response. I've been out there shooting quite a bit,  and I am working on the technique including rolling my wrists.  It occurred to me this afternoon that I may be standing too upright. The mechanics are harder to emulate off-ice than many realize.  Every nuance is very different.  I'm pretty determined, and I'm grateful for your input.

First thing you can try is to take some footage of yourself shooting and see if you're doing what you think you're doing. Sometimes, we're not as low as we think we are, or we're not doing something as much as it feels like we're doing it. Sometimes, even though it feels like we're over exaggerating, it turns out it's still not enough. 

Second, I used a p92 and a p28. Shooting low isn't exactly my goto, but here are some things that came to mind.

- Release a little earlier. Drive the puck hard, but shorten up on your follow through. 

-Try releasing off different parts of the blade. With a p92, if it's on the toe, it's going up. Maybe a little more off the middle of the blade or even the heel. 

-Try more of a sweeping follow through. What I mean by that is, try and keep the toe of the blade on the ice even on the follow through. 

- Try getting the top hand out more away from your body. The further out your top hand is the more it closes the blade and reduces the initial loft of the blade on the start of the shot. 

And finally, maybe try looking at some NHL video of players shooting 5-hole. See if you can pick up some things that you can try. Here's one I found. Some are dekes, but there are some nice low shots mixed in.

Not doubting you’re playing experience at all, just pontificating on differences....

I feel like when I play higher levels of hockey, shots from the point are always coming in low. People can very reliably be in front of the net and not worry about taking one in the stomach or chest or face. And when I play at lower levels, dudes are just ripping high shots from wherever without regard to anyone’s safety or accuracy or whether that corner shot is actually going to  miss high and rim around and be a breakout for the other team. 

• Like 2

I hear you. Let me be more clear...slap shots I've  always seemed to be able to put anywhere.  Low and hard boomers are  not a problem.  I've just always scored up high, and my coaches encouraged it as I was successful.  Wristers...that's where I struggle to stay low with harder shots.

More observations...cuz there ain't nothin' else to do...
So...I am practicing with an 82 flex cut to come up to the same place it would with skates, so...it's probably like a 105 at this point.  I'm sure that's not helping anything with my 165lb frame🤣

Rolling my hands more deliberately...is definitely helping...so is keeping my top hand farther out, so...thanks for that!

Sure hope my stickhandling practice translates to the ice cuz...I'm actually getting good at it!

This needs to end...I gotta skate!  Ok...I'll be patient.  We got enough dumba**es out there...don't want to contribute to that.  If I owned a rink...I know where I'd be everyday!

Stay frosty boys and girls🥶

The combination of wrist rolling, top hand separation, and a sweeping low following through seems to be helping.  I was about 85% today with about 200 shots.  It's funny, I just never concentrated on wristers before.  I'd stay after practice and work on slapshots and one-timers (if someone else stayed) until the maintenance guy kicked me out. 

It's also been forever since I had this much practice time.  

1 hour ago, shooter27 said:

Can you pass the puck on the ice with the p92? If so, you can shoot low. Keep your weight over the puck, follow through low and you should be good to go.

This is good advice and can help immensely because a low, hard wrist shot has a lot of similarities to a long, elevated outlet pass.  Why, in my experience, defensemen typically have stronger low wrist shots. (cause we all know in beer league, when a defensemen gets possession of the puck at the goal line, all the forwards are already at the red line!...lol).

• Haha 1

I'm 220lb and dropped to a 77 flex(p92 curve) just to try it out.  It screwed up all my shots but the wrist shots were effortless.  You might have a better result at 165lb

For me low wristers have nothing to do with the type of curve. Think of it as you're passing it but harder. Which brings me to my next question, are you able to make hot passes without it being a foot off the ice? Lol. I play with some who for the life of him can't pass a puck with some kick behind it without it being at least a few inches off the ice. He literally shoots it. 

Your follow through will definitely bc shorter for low shots. Because the follow through of your blade should be where you're aiming. It's probably already been covered by the above replies but I'm too lazy to read all of it right now. I've never had to really thinking about how I keep my low shots low, but to me I don't think the mechanics are much different than making a really hard pass. 

48 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

For me low wristers have nothing to do with the type of curve. Think of it as you're passing it but harder. Which brings me to my next question, are you able to make hot passes without it being a foot off the ice? Lol. I play with some who for the life of him can't pass a puck with some kick behind it without it being at least a few inches off the ice. He literally shoots it. 

Your follow through will definitely bc shorter for low shots. Because the follow through of your blade should be where you're aiming. It's probably already been covered by the above replies but I'm too lazy to read all of it right now. I've never had to really thinking about how I keep my low shots low, but to me I don't think the mechanics are much different than making a really hard pass. 

As I said earlier in the thread, shooting low is indeed a lot like a long, hard outlet pass.  However there are slight subtleties for me when shooting a low wrister vs making a low elevated outlet pass.  The main one being that I'll typically draw my hands more into the body for a wrister to get more flex into the shot.  The other is I'll have the puck more toward the heel of the blade when taking a shot, vs the pass.

I really appreciate the insight you have all provided.   I've gotten to the point where I'm now putting them in low and hard consistently.  I have found that the curve doesn't really affect my shot.  I still like the 29/92/03 better than 88 overall,  but I could play with either. I do not like the 28...just not for me, but that's a whole different discussion.  While I agree that there are some similarities between a hard pass and a lower speed wrister, a true through-the-netter...not so much. Granted, not every shot we take has to be a rocket, but...those are what I'm practicing. Head-up, spot-pickin', 2-4" off the ice...rockets.  Getting there...hopefully it translates to the frozen pond🇨🇦🥅🏒👍😎

Thanks again! 

On 4/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

As I said earlier in the thread, shooting low is indeed a lot like a long, hard outlet pass.  However there are slight subtleties for me when shooting a low wrister vs making a low elevated outlet pass.  The main one being that I'll typically draw my hands more into the body for a wrister to get more flex into the shot.  The other is I'll have the puck more toward the heel of the blade when taking a shot, vs the pass.

I use a p28 so everything except sauces are toe lol. 

On 4/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, Sniper9 said:

The length of the follow through shouldn't change no matter the height of the shot. The difference will be where the toe of the stick is pointing when the follow through finishes.

So...been about a month and I've been practicing with purpose just about every day with a day off here and there to keep from getting stale.

Gotta say...as much as I hate not being able to skate...this dedicated practice routine has made a huge difference in my stickhandling and my shot.  How this will translate to the ice...no idea but I'm feeling good.  I was able to video myself and my wife (who is seriously knowledgeable when it comes to our game) has watched me.  Additionally viewing iTrainHockey, Coach Jeremy and some other nicely done teaching...we uncovered bad habits that I didn't know I had. 

My puck placement was forward of ideal, my top hand was too close to my body, I wasn't pulling back with it, and when stickhandling, it wasn't doing enough of the work.  Looking at the puck too much.  My weight transfer was less than stellar too.  Funny enough...when I coach...I don't do any of that, but when I play or practice...apparently I do...whadayaknow?  It was like...how the hell have I had as much success in this game as I have with all of this garbage going on?  Anyway, four weeks later...these habits are all but gone, and the refined technique is finally becoming muscle memory.  My shots are waaaaay harder and much more accurate.  My boomers were already good (lucky I guess) but even better now; my wrist shot and snappers are like they're coming from someone else. I'm not used to having this much heat on those types of shots and they're going where I want them to.  My control and stickhandling speed has also improved greatly.  Never been this fast or controlled.  I still can't flip the damn puck in the air from flat on the ice (or board)...if you have any magic tips for that...holla cuz...I just can't do it. I guess that's cool...the stuff I can do in a game is what I'm after.

I want to say two things...first...thanks to all of you who gave input.  That's one of the super-cool things about hockey...the people are awesome.  Whenever I meet people who are new to the game...I tell them about "hockey people."  I've been in games where we had every level from newbie to ex-NHL on the same bench.  You can't tell who's who by the way people interact...everyone is cool to everyone!  I've played other sports...it ain't like that anywhere else!  We have a few miscreants here and there, but for the most part...awesome!

Second thing...if you are getting frustrated trying to improve some aspect of your game...check yourself.  Are you spending the time necessary to make that change?  I was definitely not!  Sometimes we just don't have it available, and then...at least hockey is fun with out without suckage.  But...it really does take time and a plan to get better!  I saw very little change for about a month, and it was frustrating.  It's not like I wasn't a good player, so I'm seeing all of these flaws and it was pissing me off!  Why didn't my coaches ever tell me these things?  Did I acquire these habits as an adult?  How come I'm not getting better?  Well...about two weeks ago I started seeing the change.  Last week even more and faster.  Now every time I go down to practice, I pick up where I left off and things get better each time.  Hopefully, I hit the ice when we get green lit, and this stuff will translate.  I feel like there will be a curve, but I'm pretty confident at this point.  Anyway...at 59 with two new hips...there's still nothing I love more than hockey...except my wife and my dog. 

Thanks folks!

• Like 1