Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

11 hours ago, PuckItAll said:

Hi, I'm considering buying a pair of TF9 on sale (if they fit) but I'm a bit worried about the durability of the skates. Read quite a few stories about the carbon cracking at the heel and the holders chipping/getting damaged from shots. Rusting rivets, damaged/cracked tongues and tendon guards, etc.

My 6 year old Bauer Nexus 1N is basically indestructible and would probably last me forever, but is half a size too long. I'm playing around 25-35 games a year in mid-level beer league-ish setting. I want my next skates to last me at least as long, but would prefer to keep them for the rest of my beer league career, haha (I'm 36 and planning on playing a long time)

Do you think the TF9 could fit the bill or should I go for a Supreme Mach in my correct size? Which skate is more durable?

Honestly from what I have seen and experienced, true skates will last maybe five years. Obviously there are exceptions but the tf9 for sure wont last longer than that. The tf9 has known cracking issues for sure. For me, I've taken pucks off the shift max holders and they've held up great. But my catalyst pro skates, I took a hard pass off the inside of the boot near the toe cap and the outer carbon layer cracked. The area was still stiff so I think it was just the weave layer and I was able to fix it by sanding it a bit and putting on a layer of epoxy but the fact a pass did that damage tells me that the prefabricated shells for the catalyst, tf9, and probably now the hzrdus aren't going to be very durable, unless they improved durability for the hzrdus line but I'm not holding my breath.  True seems to not really care about improving durability. All you have to do is look at their sticks. What sucks me in is that true has great performing skates and sticks when they aren't broken... 

If I were you I'd try to find the same nexus skates online in your size or stuck with Bauer. The curv composite is very durable

Edited by Sniper9

Thanks @Westside and @Sniper9. Your answers helped me making up my mind and confirm what I suspected already. Although I'm also not sure if current Bauer stuff are on the same quality level as those a few years back either. I'll probably go for the Supreme Mach in my size (Fit3 for Nexus volume).

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 3:25 PM, PuckItAll said:

Thanks @Westside and @Sniper9. Your answers helped me making up my mind and confirm what I suspected already. Although I'm also not sure if current Bauer stuff are on the same quality level as those a few years back either. I'll probably go for the Supreme Mach in my size (Fit3 for Nexus volume).

If you want to save a few hundred look into the m5 pro. Still a very good skates without the bells and whistles. Fit is pretty much the same. I tried both on and couldn't really tell the difference. 

You're right in that the quality for Bauer now may not be the same as before but they still make skates that area more durable than true. 

Edited by Sniper9

Funnily enough, the Mach felt much better on my feet than the M5 Pro. It seems the Mach in the same size and fit is just a tad wider than the M5 Pro. Also, I found a great dealer on ebay selling barely used skates for really fair prizes. The Mach I ordered ended up only around 120$ more expensive than the M5 Pro incl. Shipping and taxes.

Edit: so I'm not totally off-topic, the Machs are around 220$ over a new pair of TF9 on sale.

Edited by PuckItAll

Howdy,

On 6/16/2023 at 2:10 PM, PuckItAll said:

Hi, I'm considering buying a pair of TF9 on sale (if they fit) but I'm a bit worried about the durability of the skates. Read quite a few stories about the carbon cracking at the heel and the holders chipping/getting damaged from shots. Rusting rivets, damaged/cracked tongues and tendon guards, etc.

My 6 year old Bauer Nexus 1N is basically indestructible and would probably last me forever, but is half a size too long. I'm playing around 25-35 games a year in mid-level beer league-ish setting. I want my next skates to last me at least as long, but would prefer to keep them for the rest of my beer league career, haha (I'm 36 and planning on playing a long time)

Do you think the TF9 could fit the bill or should I go for a Supreme Mach in my correct size? Which skate is more durable?

I have the TF7's vs. the TF9's, so its not 1:1, but maybe this will help you...

I've been in them since I started skating again after Covid... So maybe 1.5 years at this point?  Playing and reffing both.

No issues with the holders or cracking on the boot or anything like that at all.

I have had rusting rivets, but I've had that with literally every skate I've ever used.  I think I sweat acid or something.

Definitely getting wear on the inside of the skates... The tongues wear against the sides of the boot (shins over tongues) and the inside lining at the top of the boot has worn away some on the sides as well.  Nothing there effects comfort of the skate.

Overall, I would say the durability has been decent.  Not amazingly bad or good either way.

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for your response. I believe the TF7 are less prone to cracks because the fiberglass shell is ever so slightly less rigid than the carbon. That's why I've been able to find much more reports for cracked heels on the TF9 than the TF7.

Unfortunately, the TF7s are sold out in my region. But fortunately, I've never experienced the praised comfort of a true skate, so I don't feel like I'm missing out 😄

3 hours ago, PuckItAll said:

Hi Mark

Thanks for your response. I believe the TF7 are less prone to cracks because the fiberglass shell is ever so slightly less rigid than the carbon. That's why I've been able to find much more reports for cracked heels on the TF9 than the TF7.

Unfortunately, the TF7s are sold out in my region. But fortunately, I've never experienced the praised comfort of a true skate, so I don't feel like I'm missing out 😄

That's also the thing.  If you don't have issues with Bauer or ccm, then stick with them. I went to true in 2017 and the comfort made me really sensitive to any fit issues almost like my callouses and toughened areas went away and now most retail boots hurt my feet some form or another. Kind of sucks tbh as I want to go back to Bauer since true products break down faster than I would like. 

I tried some TF9 today, I’m normally a 7 EE (standard width in UK) in Bauer stock supremes. To my surprise the 6.5R was too narrow at the toes, a 6.5W much better. My toes were almost touching the toe cap. He’s getting in a 7W for me to try. Should I go with a just brushing the toe caps? This is a long thread, I read some of it, and I get the impression they will ‘stretch’ a tad on heating. And I assume the heating will improve the heel lock, I’m sure I read that the shells mould more than Bauer (which don’t mould much at all). 

They’re doing a 30 day money back guarantee which is amazing, and they are half prize here. 

If your toes aren’t even touching the cap, the skates are way too big. Your skates should be hard against the cap before baking. They open up about a 1/2 size after baking.

Based on what you wrote, you should try a size 6W

Edited by Westside
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Leif said:

I tried some TF9 today, I’m normally a 7 EE (standard width in UK) in Bauer stock supremes. To my surprise the 6.5R was too narrow at the toes, a 6.5W much better. My toes were almost touching the toe cap. He’s getting in a 7W for me to try. Should I go with a just brushing the toe caps? This is a long thread, I read some of it, and I get the impression they will ‘stretch’ a tad on heating. And I assume the heating will improve the heel lock, I’m sure I read that the shells mould more than Bauer (which don’t mould much at all). 

They’re doing a 30 day money back guarantee which is amazing, and they are half prize here. 

Always test fit retail TRUE skates with a bake. Trying them on without baking will result in you getting the wrong size. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Always test fit retail TRUE skates with a bake. Trying them on without baking will result in you getting the wrong size. 

Yes I’m aware they mould a lot. The 6.5W was tight at the sides, the 6.5R was very uncomfortable at the sides. My Bauer customs have a few mm of space at the front, I’m more concerned about the overall fit, as my feet are flippers i.e. widest at the front, despite not being particularly wide. He did suggest a few minutes in the oven. He said that the width at the front doesn’t change when baked, presumably because it’s a hard plastic toe cap, as per my Bauer customs. 

Someone here who got a 7W and liked them has feet that are the same length as mine, but a few mm narrower. But I suspect the 6.5W is okay. I will try a 6W. 

Edited by Leif

13 hours ago, Westside said:

If your toes aren’t even touching the cap, the skates are way too big. Your skates should be hard against the cap before baking. They open up about a 1/2 size after baking.

Based on what you wrote, you should try a size 6W

As I mentioned above, I’m not so bothered about the toes, a friend who turned up while I was in the shop hates his toes brushing the toe cap, he prefers some space. 

If you can try on multiple sizes with a bake I would recommend doing that.

I had a pair of size 8 TF9s and a pair of 7.5W TF7s, I was looking to replace my makos (8EE,8.5). I wear a 8.5 in supremes.

The TF9s were very big after a bake and using for a month, easily 3/4 - 1 full size larger than my 8EE makos. I could wear them coaching but for games my foot moved too much in the boot. I also fit 280 edge holders on them with room to spare.

the 7.5W TF7s were a better fit and closer to the makos after baking and wearing but getting them on was a struggle, I still have scars on the outside of both feet. I didn’t keep them long enough to see how the inside padding compressed after prolonged use, the padding in the TF7 is different than the TF9. I suspect that I could have gone down to  7EE after consistently wearing. I also put 272 holders on the TF7s, they came with 263.

Just my experience with True retail skates and I tried everything to make them work for me because I wanted these to be a replacement for the makos. 

8 hours ago, Leif said:

Yes I’m aware they mould a lot. The 6.5W was tight at the sides, the 6.5R was very uncomfortable at the sides. My Bauer customs have a few mm of space at the front, I’m more concerned about the overall fit, as my feet are flippers i.e. widest at the front, despite not being particularly wide. He did suggest a few minutes in the oven. He said that the width at the front doesn’t change when baked, presumably because it’s a hard plastic toe cap, as per my Bauer customs. 

Someone here who got a 7W and liked them has feet that are the same length as mine, but a few mm narrower. But I suspect the 6.5W is okay. I will try a 6W. 

He's wrong. The width does change after a bake. The toe cap is literally a plastic shell/sleeve (flexible too) that covers the front part of the one piece boots which is also moldable. True skates don't have a junction between the toecap and boot which also benefits being able to punch out pretty much anywhere on the boot. If you look up how true skates are made you'll see what I mean. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leif said:

As I mentioned above, I’m not so bothered about the toes, a friend who turned up while I was in the shop hates his toes brushing the toe cap, he prefers some space. 

I don’t think you’re reading my response correctly. You claimed that your toes were ‘almost touching the cap’ which means they weren’t. This was BEFORE baking them as you also stated. Read any comprehensive write up on fitting True skates and you’ll see that they all say your toes should be pushed pretty hard against the toe cap before baking. Once they are baked, they open up and your toes should no longer be against the toe cap, but will fit how you’re describing them now. 

But hey, it’s your money. Not sure why you bother asking for advice if you disregard it 

On 1/20/2024 at 5:05 PM, Leif said:

Definitely go for the smaller size if at all in doubt. I was in the same boat in between two sizes. After the final bake the skate gave up a lot of space and I could have gone with the .5 smaller. For me the feeling with the skate between the fitting bake and final bake was like night and day with the size and fit difference.

The toe cap itself didn't stretch being plastic, as mentioned here before, but the padding in the cap. I like my toes right at the cap and it's the only regret I have with the skates. Otherwise they've been perfect. In fact, the regret about the .5 size down has been so big that I've constantly been looking for deals to get a second pair in the smaller size 😆

Edited by tvuollo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Westside said:

I don’t think you’re reading my response correctly. You claimed that your toes were ‘almost touching the cap’ which means they weren’t. This was BEFORE baking them as you also stated. Read any comprehensive write up on fitting True skates and you’ll see that they all say your toes should be pushed pretty hard against the toe cap before baking. Once they are baked, they open up and your toes should no longer be against the toe cap, but will fit how you’re describing them now. 

But hey, it’s your money. Not sure why you bother asking for advice if you disregard it 

I’m sorry you’re upset. 

I understood your post, that they expand noticeably when baked. That is why I indicated that I will also try the 6W. The point I made in my two earlier posts is that I don’t need my toes touching, or near the toe cap. In my Bauer customs I have quite a few mm of space. Were my toes further forward, I would get pain at the sides of my toes from the toecap. That is because my feet are widest at the toes i.e. flippers.

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/2f029e24-c1e1-4885-bd8a-706f9cc01baf/?utm_medium=myvemail

When I tried the 6.5W, there was a noticeable pressure at the sides of my toes, and I am concerned that with a 6W it would be worse. I’m now confused because someone has said that the True TF9 toecap can widen on baking, and someone else has said it can’t, as did the hockey shop owner. It does look like hard plastic as per Bauer, but that’s just my impression. 

@Leif

1) Trying on retail Trues without them being baked is a waste of time and effort.  True's own policy is they MUST be baked for try-on.  If this shop won't allow that, find another one that will.  The fit of an unbaked True is NOTHING like the fit of a baked one.  

2) Not having your toes brushing the front of the boot in your custom Bauers shouldn't be a factor in getting a proper fit in the Trues.  Sounds to me like the width of the toe cap on the Bauers wasn't properly sized for the width of your foot and you have a less than ideal fit in those custom skates.

I went down a full size from my Grafs to the TF9s and a half size from my Ribcors.  Our advise is to get the snuggest fit possible without pain or significant discomfort in a baked pair of TF9s knowing they will break in and provide another 1/4 size or so after a few skates.  Also be aware that this often times put folks on shorter blades than they are used to and you may find it helpful to explore a profile that puts more blade on the ice to compensate for the difference.  I just came to this brilliant conclusion recently after about 2 years on my TF9s and I am kicking myself for waiting that long.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leif said:

I’m sorry you’re upset. 

I understood your post, that they expand noticeably when baked. That is why I indicated that I will also try the 6W. The point I made in my two earlier posts is that I don’t need my toes touching, or near the toe cap. In my Bauer customs I have quite a few mm of space. Were my toes further forward, I would get pain at the sides of my toes from the toecap. That is because my feet are widest at the toes i.e. flippers.

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/2f029e24-c1e1-4885-bd8a-706f9cc01baf/?utm_medium=myvemail

When I tried the 6.5W, there was a noticeable pressure at the sides of my toes, and I am concerned that with a 6W it would be worse. I’m now confused because someone has said that the True TF9 toecap can widen on baking, and someone else has said it can’t, as did the hockey shop owner. It does look like hard plastic as per Bauer, but that’s just my impression. 

The construction of the entire true boot is carbon fiber. This means the entire toe and forefoot area as well. In one piece. The toe cap simple slides over top. You can also see for yourself that the toecap is a flexible plastic on the sides and is only thicker on the front and top for obvious reasons. It's up to you what you want to do but I think we're beating a dead horse by telling you that making a decision without actually baking isn't a completely informed one. You might be happy with 6.5w but you'll never know for sure whether the 6w fits even better if it was fully baked and broken in. 

I get at the retail level you have to compromise some fit issues to accommodate others.. but your fit issues, I personally believe you can achieve the "perfect" fit of toes brushes and not have width issues. My feet are like yours were the toes are the widest part which is why I have a hell of a hard time finding retail skates that fit properly. Either the toe cap area is crammed or boot is too big overall. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leif said:

I’m sorry you’re upset.

Not upset, simply stating that you didn't seem to be listening to feedback anyone was giving you. Your (now edited) post also had you saying you were going to size UP to get more space between your toes and the cap of boot rather than size DOWN which is what myself and others had recommended. Same goes for disregarding how substantial the fit of a True boot changes when baked and how malleable they become

53 minutes ago, Westside said:

Not upset, simply stating that you didn't seem to be listening to feedback anyone was giving you. Your (now edited) post also had you saying you were going to size UP to get more space between your toes and the cap of boot rather than size DOWN which is what myself and others had recommended. Same goes for disregarding how substantial the fit of a True boot changes when baked and how malleable they become

Sorry, but I did listen. The fact that I said I would try a 6W was as a result. As for the edit, that change was made within ten seconds of posting, as on reading through I saw a minor typo. 

Edited by Leif

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The construction of the entire true boot is carbon fiber. This means the entire toe and forefoot area as well. In one piece. The toe cap simple slides over top. You can also see for yourself that the toecap is a flexible plastic on the sides and is only thicker on the front and top for obvious reasons. It's up to you what you want to do but I think we're beating a dead horse by telling you that making a decision without actually baking isn't a completely informed one. You might be happy with 6.5w but you'll never know for sure whether the 6w fits even better if it was fully baked and broken in. 

I get at the retail level you have to compromise some fit issues to accommodate others.. but your fit issues, I personally believe you can achieve the "perfect" fit of toes brushes and not have width issues. My feet are like yours were the toes are the widest part which is why I have a hell of a hard time finding retail skates that fit properly. Either the toe cap area is crammed or boot is too big overall. 

The shell doesn’t cover the entire toe cap area like it used to in the VH days. It does form the complete bowl around the bottom of the boot all the way around the front, just not the upper half of the toe cap.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, flip12 said:

The shell doesn’t cover the entire toe cap area like it used to in the VH days. It does form the complete bowl around the bottom of the boot all the way around the front, just not the upper half of the toe cap.

Thanks. This sounds like the upper half of the toe cap is is not mouldable, unless punched out, but the lower half is. 

On 1/21/2024 at 12:04 PM, sturdy22 said:

If you can try on multiple sizes with a bake I would recommend doing that.

I had a pair of size 8 TF9s and a pair of 7.5W TF7s, I was looking to replace my makos (8EE,8.5). I wear a 8.5 in supremes.

The TF9s were very big after a bake and using for a month, easily 3/4 - 1 full size larger than my 8EE makos. I could wear them coaching but for games my foot moved too much in the boot. I also fit 280 edge holders on them with room to spare.

the 7.5W TF7s were a better fit and closer to the makos after baking and wearing but getting them on was a struggle, I still have scars on the outside of both feet. I didn’t keep them long enough to see how the inside padding compressed after prolonged use, the padding in the TF7 is different than the TF9. I suspect that I could have gone down to  7EE after consistently wearing. I also put 272 holders on the TF7s, they came with 263.

Just my experience with True retail skates and I tried everything to make them work for me because I wanted these to be a replacement for the makos. 

As a fellow Mako user who has a pair of converted TF9s for inline (along with some converted Makos), I agree that there's about 1 size difference in length in the same size between Makos and TF9s after baking.

I wear 8EE in Makos and went with 7W TF9s. Before baking, my feet felt hard on the cap in the TF9s, but if i put the Mako 8EE boots next to the 7W TF9s both the length and width appear identical. After baking, the 7W TF9s still felt a little tight, but after about 5 hours of skating my toes were just brushing the caps and the 8EE Mako II's and 7W TF9s feel like the same length. The one difference was the toe cap - the toe cap felt more comfortable on the Makos and to get a little more space in the TF9 toe caps I carefully heated the area with a heat gun and then did some body weight squats with the skates on - that helped, but the Mako toe cap is still more comfortable.

Since then, I've tried on the Catalyst and Hzrdus True boots and before baking it feels like I'd have to go up to an 8W in the Hzrdus. The one plus, if I was using them for ice hockey, would be that the 8W uses a 272mm holder like I'm used to whereas with the 7 and 7.5 I'd have to get used to a smaller 263mm holder or have 272mm holders installed for an additional fee. The Catalyst and Hzrdus toe cap does feel more comfortable than the TF series toe cap - so they've improved that IMHO. With how much extra room I got after baking and breaking in the TF9s, I may want to try a 7.5W...of course that'd be best to do if I was buying from a store that participated in the 30 day satisfaction guarantee while that's still running. 

Now, I know that I've read that some people have had the heels crack with the TF9s and Catalyst skates. That did happen to one person in my inline league with the TF9 boots, but mine are holding up well. True claims to have addressed the issue with the Hzrdus line (I haven't seen or read about cracking issues with the Hzrdus line; so, hopefully they did fix it). They still require completely unlacing the top two eyelets, really loosening the rest and then twisting your foot to get in and out, but I do know some officials that use the Hzrdus and Catalyst lines that say they're comfortable on the ice for days where they have several games. 

31 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Now, I know that I've read that some people have had the heels crack with the TF9s and Catalyst skates. That did happen to one person in my inline league with the TF9 boots, but mine are holding up well. True claims to have addressed the issue with the Hzrdus line (I haven't seen or read about cracking issues with the Hzrdus line; so, hopefully they did fix it). They still require completely unlacing the top two eyelets, really loosening the rest and then twisting your foot to get in and out, but I do know some officials that use the Hzrdus and Catalyst lines that say they're comfortable on the ice for days where they have several games. 

My kid cracked the heels in his Cat9s.  True replaced them with a receipt and photo evidence.  It was super easy.  I've had no issues with my TF9s.  Granted he is on the ice 5-7 days a week.  I am 1, if I am lucky 2.  

And as someone who has had foot issues since I started skating a few years back, the Trues are by far the most comfortable skates I've worn.  Not even close.  

• Like 2