Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

My take?  The carbon fiber outsole and boot transfers the feel of the ice and the inputs from your body much more efficiently than other skates.  There is little to no "slop" in the system and that creates the sensation of far more grip.  

As for laces, I've found you can significantly downsize your lace length.  As you mentioned, you don't need to tie them very tight, so you aren't pulling as much lace slack up when tying.  The eyelets/facing aren't flexing to the same degree as other skates, so again, less slack needed.  I remove the laces from the top eyelet when removing the skates.  At second eyelet, laces are barely still in, maybe an inch or two of slack.  That gives me enough room to unlace the rest of the boot wide enough to get my foot out, once I break the "suction" by pushing down on the back of the skate (not the tendon guard) and pulling my foot up and forward. It takes a few extra seconds to relace the top eyelets when putting them on, but I find that far more preferable to having insanely long laces.  I was using 96" previously.  Dropped down to 84" with the TF9, waxed laces in both cases.  

I dropped lace length by a lot as well. 

I use 84" laces for my trues and 108" for my Bauers. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, krisdrum said:

My take?  The carbon fiber outsole and boot transfers the feel of the ice and the inputs from your body much more efficiently than other skates.  There is little to no "slop" in the system and that creates the sensation of far more grip.  

As for laces, I've found you can significantly downsize your lace length.  As you mentioned, you don't need to tie them very tight, so you aren't pulling as much lace slack up when tying.  The eyelets/facing aren't flexing to the same degree as other skates, so again, less slack needed.  I remove the laces from the top eyelet when removing the skates.  At second eyelet, laces are barely still in, maybe an inch or two of slack.  That gives me enough room to unlace the rest of the boot wide enough to get my foot out, once I break the "suction" by pushing down on the back of the skate (not the tendon guard) and pulling my foot up and forward. It takes a few extra seconds to relace the top eyelets when putting them on, but I find that far more preferable to having insanely long laces.  I was using 96" previously.  Dropped down to 84" with the TF9, waxed laces in both cases.  

I’ll third this comment. I also only undo the top eyelet with about an inch of lace sticking out of the second eyelet in order to get my skates on/off. Went down a size in laces compared to Bauer/CCM. The laces that come stock with True are absurdly long

On 1/30/2024 at 6:11 PM, krisdrum said:

You must be right about the energy transfer from the one piece boot. I had some new 108” laces lying around, and they are perfect. 96” are the usual for my Bauers. I always skip the penultimate eyelets. I also replaced the stock inserts with my old Bauer speedplates. 

I’m a bit wary of drawing conclusions after only 5 skates with the True TF9s, including two hockey scrimmages, but these skates are phenomenal. I ended up going to a 1” hollow, and they still have incredible bite, it feels like I am skating on rails. My edgework has improved markedly. For example, my forwards powerpulls are much better controlled. Bear in mind I was in Bauer 2S Pro customs, which are supposed to be high end boots, moulded to the feet. I always had an issue with my left foot during both CW crossovers, and left foot powerpulls. That’s all gone, so it makes me wonder if there was a fault with the left skate. I also lost my ability to do a left foot hockey stop after moving to the Trues, I only got it back in the fifth session after lots of practice, and that is consistent with a significant change to the left skate. The right was fine. All of my edge work drills feel much more controlled, and cleaner, I can feel the edges far more, the difference is night and day. 

I think the TF9s provide much better ankle support than my Bauers, which is part of the reason for the improved performance. 

These don’t need much tightening of the laces, unlike my Bauers. They are as comfortable as the Bauers, a bit tight at the forefoot when standing upright, very comfortable on ice. 

Downsides? Getting them on is a pain, getting them off less so. I’ve just rebaked them with a 2 mm thick rubber shim placed between the top three eyelets and the tongue on the outside only, as that’s where it’s tight. I previously used a heat gun to flare the top two eyelets on the outside, but the rubbing was lower down. I’d say getting them on is the only downside, it was painful straight after the shop bake. The amount these skates mould on baking is incredible. I have Bauer X2.9 Vapor inlines that hurt my feet. Those and the Bauer customs hardly move when baked. 

Oh and that rubber bumper at the end of the toecap can be removed with tweezers or thin pliers if needed. Fortunately I don’t notice it in practice. 

6 Feb 2024: Rebaked with a 4mm thick 2” by 1” rubber shim on each skate, perfect. 

Edited by Leif

14 hours ago, Leif said:

One foot slalom. Apparently powerpull is the correct term. 

I don’t doubt it, just never heard it.

Howdy,

So, I finally baked one pair of the TF9 skates I've had for a while, since my TF7s were showing some more significant signs of wear.  And then started using them.

I don't like the thin TF9 tongues, as it puts a lot of pressure on a bump on my instep.  I also don't like the thick felt tongues that one of the tf9 pairs I bought came with... I'm not sure of the name, but they're a thick felt with a sewn on metatarsal pad on the upper part of the tongue.

I finally swapped in the tongues from my old pair of TF7s and they're just right.  However, when I search for TF7 replacement tongues I'm not finding much stock.

Ice Warehouse shows some in size S, which apparently goes up to a size 5 skate.  I'm in a 6.5.  No stock on the Mediums, which starts at a size 6.  Does anyone know how dimensionally different the tf7 replacement tongues are size S to size M?  If its just how long the tongue is, I probably don't care.  and I have to tuck the sides in when I lace up as well, so if its just a bit narrower... Also probably don't care.

Otherwise.. Are the felt cat 7/5 replacement tongues the same as the TF7 tongue, other than the color?  I can probably live with the color. 

Edit: Are the goalie skate replacement tongues the same as the player skates?  I see some of those on SLS.

Appreciate any leads / advice.

Mark

Edited by marka

8 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So, I finally baked one pair of the TF9 skates I've had for a while, since my TF7s were showing some more significant signs of wear.  And then started using them.

I don't like the thin TF9 tongues, as it puts a lot of pressure on a bump on my instep.  I also don't like the thick felt tongues that one of the tf9 pairs I bought came with... I'm not sure of the name, but they're a thick felt with a sewn on metatarsal pad on the upper part of the tongue.

I finally swapped in the tongues from my old pair of TF7s and they're just right.  However, when I search for TF7 replacement tongues I'm not finding much stock.

Ice Warehouse shows some in size S, which apparently goes up to a size 5 skate.  I'm in a 6.5.  No stock on the Mediums, which starts at a size 6.  Does anyone know how dimensionally different the tf7 replacement tongues are size S to size M?  If its just how long the tongue is, I probably don't care.  and I have to tuck the sides in when I lace up as well, so if its just a bit narrower... Also probably don't care.

Otherwise.. Are the felt cat 7/5 replacement tongues the same as the TF7 tongue, other than the color?  I can probably live with the color. 

Edit: Are the goalie skate replacement tongues the same as the player skates?  I see some of those on SLS.

Mark

You are going to love the new TRUE tongues for 2024. They seem to be exactly what you are looking for. 

On 3/23/2024 at 11:59 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

I hated the tongues on the TF9's as well. I came from the TF7's. 

I ordered a pair of felt True replacement tongues from Ice Warehouse well over a year ago, and they've been fine. 

They seemed a little thick at first, as I was so used to the worn in, compressed ones from my 7's. They feel fine now though.