Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JunkyardAthletic

NHL OWNERS APPROVE JERSEY ADS FOR 2022-23 SEASON

Howdy,

Maybe its because I'm a motorsports guy, but the idea of jersey ads (and such small ones like these particularly) doesn't bother me even a tiny bit.  If its a way for the cap to increase again in the next five years... Sweet.

Mark

• Like 1

I don't really care if jerseys have ads, I have a tonne of soccer kits with giant ads on the front. My problem with all of this is that more ads are being shoved down fans throats with NOTHING coming back to them. Obviously that is capitalism, but I'd take a giant logo ad if it meant no more tv timeouts.

I can't stand watching hockey live anymore on tv or streaming, because the commercials totally kill the flow of the game, and depending on how many stoppages you see, you sometimes see a minute and half of hockey with a commercial on the next stoppage, it is getting to be brutal.

Lame. So, so lame.

"bUt AfTeR a WhIlE, yOu WoN't EvEn NoTiCe ThEm DuRr..."

Yes, because marketing ghouls for wealthy corporations slap ads all over the place because you WON'T notice them. Right. Gotcha.

• Like 1

We knew this day was coming, some feared 20 plus years ago.

It still sucks.

Unless it's revenue sharing (it's not), the big market teams will make much more money than small. Heck Arizona can't even sell all of it's board ads. You can tell by the arena and or team type ads to fill the space. 

Edited by SirJW

7 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Maybe its because I'm a motorsports guy, but the idea of jersey ads (and such small ones like these particularly) doesn't bother me even a tiny bit.  If its a way for the cap to increase again in the next five years... Sweet.

Mark

In motorsports such as f1 the livery and sponsor logos work as one.  In nascar for example it’s a giant mess 

I somehow suspect most of the players will gladly accept it. As the players are currently in a hole of around $1.3 billion to the owners, the more revenue the better.

Edited by Vet88

Howdy,

7 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I somehow suspect most of the players will gladly accept it. As the players are currently in a hole of around $1.3 billion to the owners, the more revenue the better.

So, how does this work?

Is it literally just all money in across the league (including rink naming, ads, gate, helmet ads, jersey ads, etc.) gets counted up?  Someone mentioned that there's no revenue sharing for jersey ads.  Does that matter here?

Mark

13 hours ago, marka said:

So, how does this work?

I don't know how it is included within the current CBA. I'm assuming it would be part of the overall revenue and therefore would count towards the yearly revenue of the NHL and hence would be included in the amounts that gets calculated with the owners and players.

Love how the players owe so much money to the owners, and yet expansion fees aren't counted as Hockey Related Revenue so all of the money that came from Vegas and Seattle went straight to the owners pockets while they cry poor over player salaries and that they now need ads on jerseys and helmets. Terrible part on the players' lawyers to not put that into the CBA.

• Like 2

RBC is going to be the first ad on the Montreal Canadiens jersey. Not sure if the NHL jerseys are going to go the way of European hockey teams where advertisements are printed into the fabric all over the place instead of a patch.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-announce-rbc-as-first-official-game-jersey-partner/c-335520044

cut.jpeg

So far, every jersey shown has been a patch. Figure this is how will go moving forward. Habs is definitely the worst ad patch shown yet since it’s not the same color of the jersey and the blue doesn’t match. Makes it even more of an eyesore 

For the most part I have ignored the ad patches and I know this only is really a problem for the players with either a "C" or an "A" but it still looks bad

Waiting to see Vegas’ placement, but the Panthers is horrible. The patch has always been on the right chest, has it not? There’s enough space under the ad patch to still accommodate it there. Just another reason advertiser patches are the worst. 

On an unrelated note, while I like the new style SCF patch overall, I dislike that it doesn’t say ‘SCF’ anywhere. The style is more generic for the playoffs or like a patch the team would wear after they won

On 6/2/2023 at 5:27 PM, Westside said:

Waiting to see Vegas’ placement, but the Panthers is horrible. The patch has always been on the right chest, has it not? There’s enough space under the ad patch to still accommodate it there. Just another reason advertiser patches are the worst. 

On an unrelated note, while I like the new style SCF patch overall, I dislike that it doesn’t say ‘SCF’ anywhere. The style is more generic for the playoffs or like a patch the team would wear after they won

The Redwings had the same situation in 2008 as a result of them wearing the "C" and "A" on the right so it was still cluttered on the jersey

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:26 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I think the sponsors should only get it for 82 games and then after that they can piss off. 

Clearly you don't work in marketing.