Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jeffg

prostockhockeysticks

22 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I haven't tried the PRAUX Malkin yet, but I have a couple of Malkin Easton RS Dressed SE16s that look like the could be the same pattern or at least very close. The ones I have don't bear any resemblance to P88, they're very clearly modified E4's. The Ginos I have differ from E4 (PM9) with a little added material making the heel and toe a tiny bit squarer. The curve looks like PRAUX's version: deep toe pocket on a relatively straight blade with a neutral face from heel to mid. Looking at PRAUX's version, it looks so close to mine I just don't get where Geppetty gets P88 from. It's almost like he's afraid of mentioning PM9 unless it's painfully obvious (Crosby). Kovalchuk's another example of a E4 souped up.

If you didn't like the lie of P46 (another E4 mod), I'd be wary of the Malkin.

Thank you so much. Saves me from being disappointed. Didn’t realise the p46 was an e4 mod! Really likes the curve of the p46 but going from p92 type curves the lie just seemed too low. FWIW lining up my p88 to my p46’s, they seem to have a much closer lie vs a p92. I’m definitely a higher lie guy.

7 hours ago, Yardelm said:

Thank you so much. Saves me from being disappointed. Didn’t realise the p46 was an e4 mod! Really likes the curve of the p46 but going from p92 type curves the lie just seemed too low. FWIW lining up my p88 to my p46’s, they seem to have a much closer lie vs a p92. I’m definitely a higher lie guy.

You're right, P88 is clearly mislabeled as a 6. Last I lined it up next to P92-Lie 5's, it was actually even lower than that.

P46 is a very nice curve. It's an E4, with the toe gradually rockered up to make for more puck-ice-blade contact on toe-fling shots, then with a P92ish curve with a touch more toe. If you line up the P46 and E4 blade faces, it's easy to recognize the shape, just with the material around the toe shaved down a bit.

P.S. Warrior Smyth (rumored to be Kovalchuk's legal pattern from the early 2000's) is similar: E4 with a more concentrated toe shave for puck-ice-blade contact on shots, and then that curve which resembles a Sher-Wood Coffey.

Forever I was stuck on low lies, so I got to be really picky about these geometric subtleties. I've started to be able to handle a broader range, but haven't ventured as high as the P92 yet.

• Thanks 1

Definitely picking one of these up, most likely a redline. Torn between the 70 vs 77 flex. Shaft shape I am not picky about. I just want something that will perform similar to an Alpha , any suggestions?

12 hours ago, OldCY said:

Definitely picking one of these up, most likely a redline. Torn between the 70 vs 77 flex. Shaft shape I am not picky about. I just want something that will perform similar to an Alpha , any suggestions?

Depends on which generation of alpha… I find the qx was more mid kick then it went lower kick with the dx. I’ve got a dx and redline mid kicker, just shot them and it feels the dx kick point might be lower like I said, but the redline feels way smoother releasing and has more power, pop and comes off quicker. Alpha dx puck feel is more dampened vs the redline - so personal preference there, but I like stiffer pingy blades. The redline is better imo. 

I can’t offer an opinion though with the LX or LX2 as I’ve never used either but for what it’s worth I’ve gone through a few dx and qx’s… redlines are still going strong though after comparable use.

Edited by Yardelm
  • Like 1

Ah thanks for the input. I have an LX20. Not a TOL but one down from it. I really love the shot.  I’m leaning towards the 77 anyway. I’ve hear only positive about the mid redline. Glad to hear from you it out performs the previous gen alpha. 

Since Gep just did a new in stock drop, instead of doing custom might get direct… only thing is, all his 70 flex sticks are the super round shape…

How round are these? Are they like the Vapor shafts or even smaller? I’ve heard a lot of people say the shafts feel small… I don’t mind the Vapor shafts but I do like a girthy stick to play with in my hands 😂

It would be so much easier if we could just go to a LHS and check the sticks out! 

Edited by Yardelm
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Yardelm said:

Since Gep just did a new in stock drop, instead of doing custom might get direct… only thing is, all his 70 flex sticks are the super round shape…

How round are these? Are they like the Vapor shafts or even smaller? I’ve heard a lot of people say the shafts feel small… I don’t mind the Vapor shafts but I do like a girthy stick to play with in my hands 😂

It would be so much easier if we could just go to a LHS and check the sticks out! 

I had the same question.

On 10/2/2023 at 4:21 PM, flip12 said:

Is there a definitive comparison for Pro's shaft shapes? I'm guessing Square is close to CCM's T shape, but what about the others? What are Rounded Square and Super Round close to?

I have some teammates that want to order 70 flexes but I'm afraid they may not like the shaft shape.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:28 PM, flip12 said:

Nevermind. I found the answer here: https://prostockhockeysticks.com/pages/stick-school.

Still getting used to the new site. There's a lot of information. It's just not well organized.

Details buried on PRAUX’s own site (same link as above, section 5) combined with his explanation of th shaft shapes from his Bringing Easton Back video (around 3:15) indicate the Super Round is rounder than Vapor. Rounded Square is the Vapor shape according to the video. It’s not written that clearly on the website unfortunately.

43 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I had the same question.

Details buried on PRAUX’s own site (same link as above, section 5) combined with his explanation of th shaft shapes from his Bringing Easton Back video (around 3:15) indicate the Super Round is rounder than Vapor. Rounded Square is the Vapor shape according to the video. It’s not written that clearly on the website unfortunately.

Yeah I’ve found all this before. I’m a ridiculous stick nerd. Why I love what Geppetto is doing. Guess my question is if anyone has any experience with these super round shafts. Are they OK or too round? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yardelm said:

Yeah I’ve found all this before. I’m a ridiculous stick nerd. Why I love what Geppetto is doing. Guess my question is if anyone has any experience with these super round shafts. Are they OK or too round? 

“It feels so good in hand, it’s insane.”

34 minutes ago, flip12 said:

“It feels so good in hand, it’s insane.”

Ha I know but that’s like Bauer saying hyper2lite stick releases so fast it’s insane. It’s different hearing real world experience from people.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yardelm said:

I have one of the round 70 flex redlines in a Benn pattern.  The shape reminds me of an old Easton Cyclone that I had in the early '00s.  The Pro may be even a bit rounder than the Cyclone was.  I don't have particularly big hands, so YMMV, but I like the shape/feel, and it isn't too round at all for me.  That said, I haven't used a 70 flex stick since that Cyclone (when I was a freshman in high school).  Since then, I've played with everything from 77-110.  I sometimes feel like the stick is a bit "insubstantial."  To be clear, I like it, and it handles well, but in puck battles or if I take faceoffs, the combination of flex and shaft dimensions occasionally make me feel a bit like I'm playing with a junior or intermediate stick.  If there were a non-custom option to get the round shaft with a 77 or 85 flex, I would grab a few of those in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 1:58 PM, Yardelm said:

Too round for me, I can't get a solid grip when shooting and the stick twists in my hands a lot. Feels like I am holding an intermediate stick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hills said:

Too round for me, I can't get a solid grip when shooting and the stick twists in my hands a lot. Feels like I am holding an intermediate stick.

Ditto, although I am getting used to it.  Wouldn't really be my preference.  I come from a tennis background, so enjoy feeling a more distinct edge/bevel to know where the blade is.  If I was to drop the money on a custom stick from them, I'd be going for a shaft with a squarer profile.  

27 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Ditto, although I am getting used to it.  Wouldn't really be my preference.  I come from a tennis background, so enjoy feeling a more distinct edge/bevel to know where the blade is.  If I was to drop the money on a custom stick from them, I'd be going for a shaft with a squarer profile.  

Have you tried an extension with your tennis handle for your top hand?

1 minute ago, flip12 said:

Have you tried an extension with your tennis handle for your top hand?

No.  I'm already cutting a significant chunk of shaft off to get my length (I'm short), so cutting the stick even more and replacing it with something that isn't involved in the flex doesn't sound all that appealing.  

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

No.  I'm already cutting a significant chunk of shaft off to get my length (I'm short), so cutting the stick even more and replacing it with something that isn't involved in the flex doesn't sound all that appealing.  

Gotcha. I wonder what the flex difference would be. How much does the top of the shaft flex?

Made a p28 and Fisher curve post and was referencing Pro sticks and realised it is probably worth posting here too instead of an older thread. Great comparison photo of the OG Fisher curve vs Bauers p28 and some observations on p28’s between brands.

Anyone get any weird/dumb/awesome curves from them lately? 

Picked up a Malkin-2 and a Backstrom just after US Thanksgiving. I really like the Malkin. It’s like a taller p88 with a bit of a toe curve. The toe is nice for stickhandling, but I can still shoot out of the mid-pocket with my wonky old man mechanics.  All these modern super open toe curves kill me. 

Backstrom looks and plays like a pm9 with a shaved pointy toe. It was billed as a “more lofty p88,” which…I dunno….it doesn’t feel like that to me. 

• Like 1

Saw that description in the email PSHS sent out last month. Definitely plan on trying it out on my next order. 

I know I could ‘learn’ to keep other curves down but I have zero issue getting height off a P88 

9 hours ago, start_today said:

Anyone get any weird/dumb/awesome curves from them lately? 

Picked up a Malkin-2 and a Backstrom just after US Thanksgiving. I really like the Malkin. It’s like a taller p88 with a bit of a toe curve. The toe is nice for stickhandling, but I can still shoot out of the mid-pocket with my wonky old man mechanics.  All these modern super open toe curves kill me. 

Backstrom looks and plays like a pm9 with a shaved pointy toe. It was billed as a “more lofty p88,” which…I dunno….it doesn’t feel like that to me. 

Some guys I play with ordered Backstroms. They look more like p19 curves with a thinner blade face than anything P88 or PM9. 

On 1/16/2024 at 2:36 AM, flip12 said:

Some guys I play with ordered Backstroms. They look more like p19 curves with a thinner blade face than anything P88 or PM9. 

I’ve never played with a p19, so that might be a better description. Backstrom is definitely “thin” or “not tall” or whatever description you use to describe less height is. It’s noticeably less tall than stock profiles. Not sure what the advantage of reduced height is, but I have enough challenges in my game, I’ll take all the height I can get. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 5:23 PM, jeffg said:

Is the Malkin 2 similar to the p90tm?

He’s got three Malkin variations. The original Malkin, the Malkin 2 which is also labeled the Galchenyuk variation (I have this one), and one that’s the Malkin curve with a p92 profile. 

Pardon the SAT analogy, but for me, I feel like the p90TM is to the p92 as Malkin 2 is to the p88. Take the original curve, and just add a toe curve and more height. 

Comparing p90TM and Malkin 2, p90TM is more open, M2 is more neutral. P90TM starts a little more in the heel. M2 has a flatter profile. M2 is more squared off toe, but less square than say a stock Lidstrom. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, start_today said:

He’s got three Malkin variations. The original Malkin, the Malkin 2 which is also labeled the Galchenyuk variation (I have this one), and one that’s the Malkin curve with a p92 profile. 

Pardon the SAT analogy, but for me, I feel like the p90TM is to the p92 as Malkin 2 is to the p88. Take the original curve, and just add a toe curve and more height. 

Comparing p90TM and Malkin 2, p90TM is more open, M2 is more neutral. P90TM starts a little more in the heel. M2 has a flatter profile. M2 is more squared off toe, but less square than say a stock Lidstrom. 

As a former P88 user, this is really helpful and makes sense.  I might have to try it, as I've been using P90TM and P90M recently as well as the MacKinnon curve, which seems closer to a P28, but has some P92-isms.

Just looked at the curves on the site.  So you have the "Pro712".  Interesting that you still feel like it plays like a P88 with a bit of toe added considering how different the blade looks compared to a retail P88.  The original "Pro71" looks more appealing to me, but who knows.  It is a bit of a crap shoot.  

Edited by krisdrum

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Just looked at the curves on the site.  So you have the "Pro712".  Interesting that you still feel like it plays like a P88 with a bit of toe added considering how different the blade looks compared to a retail P88.  The original "Pro71" looks more appealing to me, but who knows.  It is a bit of a crap shoot.  

Fwiw, I’m also not someone who uses a ton of different blades or is very good, so take my descriptions lightly. I’m not 100% right, but I don’t think I’m 100% wrong either haha. 

• Like 1