Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shoot_the_goalie

CCM Super Tacks X Total Custom helmet

I have a Super Tacks X retail helmet that I got heavily discounted (more than 50% off) and I love it.  Pretty happy with it thus far.  However, I was in the LHS the other day and they had the Total Custom versions on display, and I was intrigued, so I tried the display model on and it felt even better than the retail version.  Similar to the retail version, but with a much more snug and conformed fit (so I assume a custom model would feel even better).  Then I saw the price....$580, not including tax and shipping (I guess they ship it to you directly once made).  Also takes 8-12 weeks.  The display custom did feel noticeably better, but not sure it felt $400 better.

My question is that for those who have the Total Custom version.  Is it that much better than the retail version to justify the price?  If it was a game-changer, I could possibly consider it, but for what I personally felt with the display model, not sure the worth is there.  Thoughts?

Unless you have some crazy shaped head or some kind of protrusion, I think it's a complete waste of money. Especially given how much the nest tech already conforms to the shape of your head. The only advantage with the total customs is that there's more 'dense' material (not sure how else to word it) at the forehead which would give my sweat pad more of a place to stick on to

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I have a Super Tacks X retail helmet that I got heavily discounted (more than 50% off) and I love it.  Pretty happy with it thus far.  However, I was in the LHS the other day and they had the Total Custom versions on display, and I was intrigued, so I tried the display model on and it felt even better than the retail version.  Similar to the retail version, but with a much more snug and conformed fit (so I assume a custom model would feel even better).  Then I saw the price....$580, not including tax and shipping (I guess they ship it to you directly once made).  Also takes 8-12 weeks.  The display custom did feel noticeably better, but not sure it felt $400 better.

My question is that for those who have the Total Custom version.  Is it that much better than the retail version to justify the price?  If it was a game-changer, I could possibly consider it, but for what I personally felt with the display model, not sure the worth is there.  Thoughts?

I have the Total Custom version, and it is so much better than the retail version it is ridiculous. I go from long hair to short hair all the time and it is comfortable regardless where the retail helmet I get pressure points if I have longer hair in certain spots.

The SuperTacksX is the most comfortable retail helmet I have ever worn, and the Total Custom brings it to a completely new level where it is better than my custom goalie masks where I had to send in my head mold into a shop. My only complaint is that I don't have more because when I ever match colours I get disappointed in the other helmet.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hills said:

I have the Total Custom version, and it is so much better than the retail version it is ridiculous. I go from long hair to short hair all the time and it is comfortable regardless where the retail helmet I get pressure points if I have longer hair in certain spots.

The SuperTacksX is the most comfortable retail helmet I have ever worn, and the Total Custom brings it to a completely new level where it is better than my custom goalie masks where I had to send in my head mold into a shop. My only complaint is that I don't have more because when I ever match colours I get disappointed in the other helmet.

I assume even though helmet is custom molded, there are still adjustments one can make fore/aft, yes?  I ask cause sometimes my hair is shorter/longer and sometimes I like my helmet snug and other times a touch looser than snug.

10 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I assume even though helmet is custom molded, there are still adjustments one can make fore/aft, yes?  I ask cause sometimes my hair is shorter/longer and sometimes I like my helmet snug and other times a touch looser than snug.

Just forward and backwards with the shell like other CCM helmets that share the shell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

So if you like it a lot, we get some sort of kickback, no?  lol.

Do I get comp'd if I hate it... I'd settle for the difference between the X and a 710. Seems fair 

Edited by stick9
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2023 at 11:51 PM, Hills said:

@Hillshave you considered using vinyl wrap, similar to what you see on cars, to change up your helmet colors?

18 hours ago, stick9 said:

@Hillshave you considered using vinyl wrap, similar to what you see on cars, to change up your helmet colors?

I switch it on a daily basis... so that would be way too much effort!

8 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

For better context, I got the retail version for $200.  That's why total custom would be a big jump for me.

I know, I'm just saying the price difference for mrsp for the average person. 

What is the custom going for Canadian,  I'm seeing $679, is that right?

I hear the custom helmet is bigger than the retail version?  Is that true?

Edited by Beflar

On 10/27/2023 at 8:42 PM, stick9 said:

Do I get comp'd if I hate it... I'd settle for the difference between the X and a 710. Seems fair 

Get your check books out boys cuz I'm not loving it, least not right out of the box. It doesn't fit as deep or wrap as well as my 710. Also, I don't care for the adjustment system. I much prefer the system on the older 710's even though mine recently failed. I'm gonna skate with it tomorrow and see if that changes my mind. If not, I'll grab another 710 and flip the TacksX.

45 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Get your check books out boys cuz I'm not loving it, least not right out of the box. It doesn't fit as deep or wrap as well as my 710. Also, I don't care for the adjustment system. I much prefer the system on the older 710's even though mine recently failed. I'm gonna skate with it tomorrow and see if that changes my mind. If not, I'll grab another 710 and flip the TacksX.

This is the retail Tacks X, right? The custom and retail are both entirely different. The retail model is good, but does take some adjustment time. The custom is softer, more plush, and just feels amazing out of the box. 

55 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I tried a Tacks X in small and medium (I'm normally a small in CCM with the adjustment about halfway), both pro stock but not "custom", don't think I paid more than $175 for either.  The small was way too small even at the largest setting, tried it for one game and it was not comfortable at all (aside from how much more airflow there was) so I resold that and found a medium.  The medium fit at the smallest setting but felt like I was wearing a bowling ball, like felt like it was not snug enough, it was odd.  So I sold that and have stuck with the 910's I have but I'm curious to try the 720 since it seems to fit more similar to the 910, I was lucky in that I was able to recoup almost everything I spent on my Tacks X experiment, it might've cost me $5-10 in the end which is ok with me, just glad they were pretty easy to resell.  I'm sure a Custom Tacks X would be 100% better fitting and slightly more comfortable than what I'm used to but there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on a helmet.

It should be noted that the retail X, at first, the nest tech can feel hard and pretty stiff, but once it "warms up" it becomes much more pliable.

In the end, I did get fitted for a custom version.  Should take about 2 months to get it.  Fitting process was simple and quick.  Helmet shells seem same as retail, it's the nest tech that's significantly different.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:27 AM, VegasHockey said:

This is the retail Tacks X, right? The custom and retail are both entirely different. The retail model is good, but does take some adjustment time. The custom is softer, more plush, and just feels amazing out of the box. 

Careful using the Tacks X, they have a terrible rating.. I'm surprised that CCM is coming out with a goalie helmet with their 3d printed webbing. 

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/hockey-helmet-ratings.html#61

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/hockey-helmet-ratings.html#!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zom said:

Careful using the Tacks X, they have a terrible rating.. I'm surprised that CCM is coming out with a goalie helmet with their 3d printed webbing. 

That testing process is not the end all be all, it is not perfect by any means and has some flaws.  There are many threads discussing the shortcomings of their tests and lots of opinions on how much different people value, or don't value their findings.  I'm sure the ones discussing the Tacks X helmet here have already decided whether or not the VT ratings mean anything to them.  I've heard that CCM does their own testing (or uses another lab/University) which is more thorough than the VT tests and I'd guess their results are pretty good which is why they're expanding the usage of the 3D Printed webbing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zom said:

Goalie helmets also aren't looking at the same impact tests than player helmets are. Majority of contacts is pucks and blunt force without the rotational part.

With that said, I tried on the Axis XF mask with NestTech in it and I wasn't comfortable enough with the density of the padding to try it myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zom said:

Lateral move. The Tacks 710 also has a 1 Star rating. 

Howdy,

14 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

That testing process is not the end all be all, it is not perfect by any means and has some flaws.  There are many threads discussing the shortcomings of their tests and lots of opinions on how much different people value, or don't value their findings.  I'm sure the ones discussing the Tacks X helmet here have already decided whether or not the VT ratings mean anything to them.  I've heard that CCM does their own testing (or uses another lab/University) which is more thorough than the VT tests and I'd guess their results are pretty good which is why they're expanding the usage of the 3D Printed webbing.

You've got a lot more faith in unknown / unreviewed biased manufacturer-only testing than I do.

Mark

16 hours ago, zom said:

If I had a dollar for every person that quoted VT ratings... I appreciate what VT is doing, however they need to refine their testing process more.

Too many times, I have had parents “explain” to me what is the ideal helmet for their kids, quoting VT ratings. They push for a helmet that doesn't fit the player's head, and cannot comprehend ideal fit is responsible for 90% of the helmet's effective protection. Things like rate sensitive foams, liquid/gel pods, and all of this other new technology are only effective if the helmet fits properly. 

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

You've got a lot more faith in unknown / unreviewed biased manufacturer-only testing than I do.

Mark

All hockey brands perform internal testing and then partner with other companies and universities for third party testing. The fact is, if a helmet gets CSA or HECC certification, that is genuinely all that matters. That is the standard. 

Think of it this way, there are many cars on the road. They all must pass crash safety testing. However, some cars have better results than others, this could be in all categories or in select categories. Regardless, if they pass, they are approved and sold. 

I like how they word this specifically: 

https://driving.ca/features/safety/2023-vehicles-worst-iihs-crash-tests

"ratings don’t mean they’re unsafe, but they could be better."

Edited by VegasHockey
  • Like 2