Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Monty22

Shin Guard Recommendations?

My son is looking to replace his Reebok 20K Pro shin guards with something lighter and lower profile. He plays high school hockey, both forward and D. When we were looking for options last season there weren't a lot that fit the criteria and fit him. He's  6',195lbs. His legs aren't necessarily huge, but the depth of Bauer Vapor and to a lesser extent the CCM FT series was lacking.  Looking for recommendations for upper end protective that runs deep in the leg channel but isn't overly bulky/heavy. Not sure if such a thing exists. Doesn't have to be current production, I can track stuff down usually.  Haven't seen them in person, but any thoughts on the Sherwood Rekker or Code TMP offerings? Thanks

I'd check out the Bauer Supreme line.  Especially the newer ones with the AMP system.  My son has been in his for awhile now and really likes them.  He likes the low profile stuff as well and came from CCM Jetspeed shins from a season or two back.  The Vapors definitely sit more on top of the leg.  The Supremes are deeper and give you more wrap, but are ergonomic so give you a pretty low profile.

Personally I really like the CCM Tacks and don't find them heavy or bulky, and they should give a similar fit compared to his Reeboks.    

Edited by krisdrum
  • Like 1

Your kid must have huge calves, or at least a very wide shin, cuz i have 16,5” calves and see the Jetspeed Ft shins as my next pair of shin guards once my Nexus 1000 shins give up.. I really like the fit of the Ft4 and Ft6 shin guards.

You should check out Warrior’s alpha series shins. My son has the older Alpha Dx shin guards and love them. He blocks shots quite frequently since he plays D, and i havent heard anything negative yet.

Newer Vapor shins on the other hand fit really wierd and lack protection on the sides down towards the ankle..

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 7:17 AM, Monty22 said:

My son is looking to replace his Reebok 20K Pro shin guards with something lighter and lower profile. He plays high school hockey, both forward and D. When we were looking for options last season there weren't a lot that fit the criteria and fit him. He's  6',195lbs. His legs aren't necessarily huge, but the depth of Bauer Vapor and to a lesser extent the CCM FT series was lacking.  Looking for recommendations for upper end protective that runs deep in the leg channel but isn't overly bulky/heavy. Not sure if such a thing exists. Doesn't have to be current production, I can track stuff down usually.  Haven't seen them in person, but any thoughts on the Sherwood Rekker or Code TMP offerings? Thanks

I don't think the Rekker will have enough depth, and I am not a fan of the TMP model. What size shin does he use? 

12 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

I don't think the Rekker will have enough depth, and I am not a fan of the TMP model. What size shin does he use? 

16"

I still have my RBK 20k but I replaced them with FT4 Pros a few years ago. Holding up well, I like them almost as much as the old nostalgia Jofas. On semi related note, I still have my 20K elbows but the Jetspeeds look like a good option. Give the Jetspeeds another try? Took me a few sessions to get used to them but I would never go back now.

As much as I like my FT4's, you really cant go wrong with higher end Tacks shins. Absolute tanks.

Howdy,

20 hours ago, stick9 said:

As much as I like my FT4's, you really cant go wrong with higher end Tacks shins. Absolute tanks.

I like my Tacks as well, and agree with the "tanks" comment.  But if you're looking for lighter / lower profile compared to the 20k I wouldn't imagine that would be it.

Mark

I think the Easton RS II or even the 85S (I think they had issues with the model that had the composite calf guard) may fit the bill of what you're looking for, higher end, not bulky & has a deep leg channel. I traded my RS II, but kept the 85S as backups and they're my preferred shin pad, I only use my 21k when I feel the need for higher protection.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:34 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

I like my Tacks as well, and agree with the "tanks" comment.  But if you're looking for lighter / lower profile compared to the 20k I wouldn't imagine that would be it.

Mark

Looking at the numbers, they're closer than you think. Comparing the weights listed at IW. The CCM ASV's come in at 670g vs the FT6's at 619g.

• Like 1

I picked up some Bauer Supreme Matrix shins for my U15 defensive pair (my twin sons)...  They love blocking shots and have said they don't feel a thing with these.  The coverage is pretty extensive but they don't seem extra bulky.

Pretty sure the price can't be beat either.