Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo5370

Just a thought................

Recently been trying to figure out what length and flex stick is optimal for me but I don't want to spend any more money just to experiment.

I'm sure others have thought of this but I haven't seen it posted so here I go......

I figured a good way to choose flex is to correlate the average flex of shaft used in the NHL and the average weight of an NHL player.

I figure about 100 Easton flex is the norm and the average player is roughly 200 lbs. I didn't actually take an average of every player's weight nor do I know everyone's flex but I figure this is a good estimate............

So perhaps a person's flex (not accounting for preference or strength, I don't know how to measure anyone's "shooting" strength) should be one half of their body weight.

As for length, that's even more subjective..........so I decided to look at players I admire..............Kovalev, Fedorov, Kariya, Coffey, etc.

I had to go by eye and pictures and I picked Kovalev. I estimated that he uses an uncut, no endplug GripLite (just for reference, I know he is an Inno guy now) so maybe 48 inches? Again an estimate, and he is about 6'2" tall.

Then again Kariya seems to use an uncut, no endplug UltraLite (approx. 48 in.) but is listed at 5'10".

So proportionally, if you use a shaft it should be between about 66.66666% and 68.5714% of your height. I didn't take into account blade lenght because I think it's more proper to measure from heel to end. I just used the shaft lenght for this little "experiment".

So, in conclusion (barring personal preference, strength) my "rule of thumb" for flex is 50% of your body weight and for length of shaft, about 67% of your height.

Thanks York.....................another thing that spurred me on this thread is I remember someone, Chadd I think it was mentioning the average NHL flex is about 100 and that the everyday joe shmoe will buy (or is sold) a 100 flex stick, going to show that most of us are using inappropriate flexes.

We may get used to them, but they are not optimal for our performance.

Thank god for the options we have today.

I used to pray for someone to produce an intermediate shaft, though I own none :blink:

id agree with you on that 50% cuz i weigh 170 and use an 85 flex, however can easily use 100 but prefer the whip.

I read most NHlers use 90-100 flex so ur good on that too

atta boy

A lot of it depends on technique and strength, too. There's no possible way to figure out the best flex for a player based on height or weight...

I agree that what other people use is irrelevant when deciding what works best for you.

My stick (tapered combo) is about 80% of my height and the flex is about 40% of my weight.

I've tried shooting with an 85, but my shot goes everywhere (but the net, lol). I am so used to a 100 flex, I don't think I could go back.

Based on that calculation my optimal stick flex is 145 and my stick length should be 50.25 inches from heel to butt-end. That amounts to a stick that is way too short and way too stick for me. I am currently using 95 flex (Sher-Wood 7000 Featherlite) with a shaft length of 58.5 inches.

damn son your 290 lbs??? i feel bad for the ppl you hit it must feel like a tank is hitting them. its not bad that u way that much, i wish i did.

damn son your 290 lbs??? i feel bad for the ppl you hit it must feel like a tank is hitting them. its not bad that u way that much, i wish i did.

I feel bad for the skate blades........... :D

I'm assuming that my customs are about a 95 flex, so:

Me: 6' (72") tall and 170 lbs

Stick: 58" and 95 flex.

80.5% of height

56% of wight

I know that my stick is shorter than most peoples I know (atoms apple on skates) and so 67% of my height is rediculously short. The stick flex would be about right though, because for D I prefer a stiffer stick, but for forward I like one that is whippier (85 flex) which is perfect. So I agree on the flex part but lets agree to disagree on the height bit.

80.5% of height

56% of wight

I know that my stick is shorter than most peoples I know (atoms apple on skates) and so 67% of my height is rediculously short. The stick flex would be about right though, because for D I prefer a stiffer stick, but for forward I like one that is whippier (85 flex) which is perfect. So I agree on the flex part but lets agree to disagree on the height bit.

Dan, I think you're wrong, he talks only of your shaft lenght, not your total lenght of stick.

80.5% of height

56% of wight

Dan, I think you're wrong, he talks only of your shaft lenght, not your total lenght of stick.

That doesn't help if you use a short hosel blade.

Oh definitely.....................these are just extremely rudimentary "rules of thumb" I came up with

You remember those USA Hockey Magazines w/ the cartoon guy, telling us our sticks should reach our nose w/o skates on?

Well I wanted a rule of thumb for flex and a better way of estimating stick length considering the old way could not account for different blade lengths.

And also, I explicitely disclaim "barring personal preference and strength"

I thought my original post ran lengthy so I did not bother to dislcaim that things like skating posture, whether of not you bend your elbows, etc. will most definitely affect your length needed.

Also, depending on if you cut or add length to your shafts, remember you may not be using the flex labeled.

i.e. I cut my shafts down to about 44 inches, so my 100's will feel a bit stiffer. Conversely if you use a 51 in. shaft, it may feel 95ish........not exact numbers but then again not exact rules.

Just what comes out of my mind when I'm bored :)

I agree that what other people use is irrelevant when deciding what works best for you.

My stick (tapered combo) is about 80% of my height and the flex is about 40% of my weight.

I thought of that too Chadd, and I would agree that just because someone weighs 180, that doesn't mean he should be using the same flex as Kariya.

Definitely have to take into account many many personal fitness/skill levels.

So say if I weighed 180 but am of average strength and a rec player, take off a few flex units.

On the flipside, if I weigh 180 and am freakishly strong, I'll need a 105 or 110.

yeah your right, or if you only use OPS.

Yet another factor to consider........tapered shafts generally "feel" flexier than their labeled flex.

Nothing like trial and error for sure but I think it's fun to contemplate stuff like this.