Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I've got an enormous accessory navicular on both feet (blew the LHS guys mind when he punched out my supremes), and while these molded to my foot ridiculously well, they're causing a good amount of pain after about half an hour. It happens a lot quicker if I have to walk in them.

Does anyone know if you can stand in these during baking, or would I just be better off hitting them with the heat gun more?

The damn bone sticks out further than my ankles!

Other than that, these things are great.

Based on their videos I would think you're better off hitting them with the heat gun. Maybe do so while standing up to get the affect in the correct area without affecting the rest of the skate.

Based on their videos I would think you're better off hitting them with the heat gun. Maybe do so while standing up to get the affect in the correct area without affecting the rest of the skate.

Thanks! I ended going at them with the heat gun and using the handle of a screwdriver to punch the spot out.

Here's a picture for anyone that might have the same problem. 6yzadyqe.jpg

After 1 test run (in my friend's skates at public skating, prior to buying), 1 league game, and 3 drop in sessions, I can say that I absolutely love these skates. They only really "made me a better skater" on the 1st skate, as I think they guy had the perfect sharpening for the ice surface, which I have not yet been able to replicate- I think I will get it next skate though. 2nd skate too, I had the best night of my life, but it was more just me burying shots rather than putting on any sort of skating clinic.

Anyway, most skates hurt my feet right when I put them on- nevermind when they are laced up, when I am walking/ skating, etc. These skates, I can wear for 2 hour sessions, and keep on going, for awhile longer. Only issue is the "Mako bumps," but as long as I wear neoprene sleeve and mole skin, I am all set. I actually forget to wear both for my last 2 skates, and no real major issues. There was a major'ish issue with the Mako bumps after the first skate (1 2.25 hour hockey drop in, which required 3.5 weeks to heal), but it was not that bad, just took a long time for the wound to close up. I think the ankles of the skates might be better broken in now, not sure tho- hopefully I will just remember to wear the neoprene/moleskin while this issue sorts itself out.

So, I hope that the Mako/ Mako II pending remains true to form, and evolves within their philosophy of the natural movement and the wrap of the eyelets, and whatever else they are doing to provide the running shoe type feel in the skate. (In other words, I hope it does not become like a Supreme or APX and be all stiff and hurt my feet).

If you are thinking of going from Supreme into this, then please note 10.0 EE in Supreme One.9 LE = 10.5 in Mako (for me).

Edited by Cosmic

After 1 test run (in my friend's skates at public skating, prior to buying), 1 league game, and 3 drop in sessions, I can say that I absolutely love these skates. They only really "made me a better skater" on the 1st skate, as I think they guy had the perfect sharpening for the ice surface, which I have not yet been able to replicate- I think I will get it next skate though. 2nd skate too, I had the best night of my life, but it was more just me burying shots rather than putting on any sort of skating clinic.

Anyway, most skates hurt my feet right when I put them on- nevermind when they are laced up, when I am walking/ skating, etc. These skates, I can wear for 2 hour sessions, and keep on going, for awhile longer. Only issue is the "Mako bumps," but as long as I wear neoprene sleeve and mole skin, I am all set. I actually forget to wear both for my last 2 skates, and no real major issues. There was a major'ish issue with the Mako bumps after the first skate (1 2.25 hour hockey drop in, which required 3.5 weeks to heal), but it was not that bad, just took a long time for the wound to close up. I think the ankles of the skates might be better broken in now, not sure tho- hopefully I will just remember to wear the neoprene/moleskin while this issue sorts itself out.

So, I hope that the Mako/ Mako II pending remains true to form, and evolves within their philosophy of the natural movement and the wrap of the eyelets, and whatever else they are doing to provide the running shoe type feel in the skate. (In other words, I hope it does not become like a Supreme or APX and be all stiff and hurt my feet).

If you are thinking of going from Supreme into this, then please note 10.0 EE in Supreme One.9 LE = 10.5 in Mako (for me).

whats the mako bump? Does it have something to do with the material around the ankle? I tried them on in store, and they felt pretty good all over, but not sure how they would feel on the ice. Waiting until June either way, so hopefully between now and then Ill be able to try before buying.

And also one more question for mako owners / people coming from vapors: I usually dont use the top eyelet so I can get more forward flex, does anyone who used to do this with other skates now do it with these skates?

And also one more question for mako owners / people coming from vapors: I usually dont use the top eyelet so I can get more forward flex, does anyone who used to do this with other skates now do it with these skates?

i came from x:60s and didnt wear top eyelet,and I do the same with my makos

whats the mako bump? Does it have something to do with the material around the ankle? I tried them on in store, and they felt pretty good all over, but not sure how they would feel on the ice. Waiting until June either way, so hopefully between now and then Ill be able to try before buying.

I came from Supremes. Didn't do my top two eyelets in Supremes, but don't do my top eyelet in Makos. Granted, I do tape loosely just for some lateral support (I didn't do this in Supremes) When I laced all the way to the top in Makos, I couldn't get good heel lock and not as much forward flex.

That big irritated blotch by my ankle- it was on both ankles after my first skate. I felt it forming about 1.5 hours in, but as I was having the greatest hockey occasion of my life to date, I just played through it, and hoped it was nothing. It is, in effect nothing. If I were to play 2 hours per day, 7 days a week after it formed, then sure, I would make a hole in my leg, but I am not a pro, so I was able to take the necessary 3.5 weeks off for this gash to close up.

1ox5.jpg

That big irritated blotch by my ankle- it was on both ankles after my first skate. I felt it forming about 1.5 hours in, but as I was having the greatest hockey occasion of my life to date, I just played through it, and hoped it was nothing. It is, in effect nothing. If I were to play 2 hours per day, 7 days a week after it formed, then sure, I would make a hole in my leg, but I am not a pro, so I was able to take the necessary 3.5 weeks off for this gash to close up.

1ox5.jpg

jeeze. What kind of socks do you wear with those? And correct me if im wrong, but I think Ive read somewhere that this is one of the things they will be fixing on the mako 2's.

Would it be possible for you to add some padding to that spot, and then try heat molding them so that it doesnt rub? I had a spot near my pinkie toe bone that was tight, and I wrapped it in a bunch of layers of tape, and then hit it with the heat gun, and it seemed to help.

I guess its just more reason to wait until June.

jeeze. What kind of socks do you wear with those? And correct me if im wrong, but I think Ive read somewhere that this is one of the things they will be fixing on the mako 2's.

Would it be possible for you to add some padding to that spot, and then try heat molding them so that it doesnt rub? I had a spot near my pinkie toe bone that was tight, and I wrapped it in a bunch of layers of tape, and then hit it with the heat gun, and it seemed to help.

I guess its just more reason to wait until June.

I use the Bauer Elite Performance Socks.

And yes, I have all kinds of stuff I can use to prevent this from happening again. I got this gel ankle wrap from this local salesperson, that the figure skaters wear- that is best. Moleskin, neoprene sleeves- it all works. I wanted to see though, when I first wore these skates, if I would need to go this route. So, I learned, yes, I need to go this route.

I do not think that there is a way to heat mold out of this problem. I mean, sure if someone is an ergonomist, then they may be able to figure it out. I did a pretty damn good job heat molding a hot spot on my instep, if I do say so myself, but I just do not see how to correct this issue with heal molding. I hear that it is a break in issue, and after few months, the issue will go away.

So yea, in the meantime, I will just wear my padding, and it will be ok. For me, this issue pales in comparison to the one I was having prior (which completely kept me off this ice), so I just deal with it and it is no big deal. But, if I had skates that I liked, then yea I would try to wait for Mako II. But yea, first time I wore them, I was completely blown away, and knew I wanted them. I really feel like I can skate all day, comfortably, and naturally, after having been unable to skate at all, which is nice.

I really hope they did fix that issue with the Mako II. It's one thing for skates to not fit correctly and be uncomfortable or even painful, but its a whole other thing to actually cause physical harm to THIS many people. I almost feel like Easton should be offering discounted (or even free) upgrades to the new model for those who are having this issue (but I'm also not delusional and realize that's not how the real world operates).

Oh well. I'll just keep wearing my neoprene sleeve...

I really hope they did fix that issue with the Mako II. It's one thing for skates to not fit correctly and be uncomfortable or even painful, but its a whole other thing to actually cause physical harm to THIS many people. I almost feel like Easton should be offering discounted (or even free) upgrades to the new model for those who are having this issue (truncated)

I support this (free/discounted skates) ... using my gel ankle sleeves now and no problems, but these will wear- hope my skates are broken in by the time my gel pads give.

I had a similar problem.

I fixed it by spot heating with a heat gun, and then really pushing everything away/out in that area. Serious relief and problem solved. I had to really get in there and work everything with my hands though.

Protip: Put on a pair of thick work gloves when attempting this.

Zach

There are still a lot more people without the "mako bump" issue than those who have it.

It's not Easton's fault if the skates don't fit you right.

There are still a lot more people without the "mako bump" issue than those who have it.

It's not Easton's fault if the skates don't fit you right.

I think it is hard to say that the skates do not fit us right. I mean, what is so odd or unique about the area above our ankle? I get length/width/depth, and the importance of getting the right skate that satisfies these matters (which I feel the Mako does for me). Is there a 4th consideration that needs to be considered when buying skates: area above ankle contour? Maybe, I am not trying to be difficult; this is actually a serious question.

Also, what is it about the area above our ankles that can be so unique, that one could say that the skates are not fitting us properly?

• Like 1

I got the ankle sore spot and so did all 4 friends that bought them. 5 out of 5 is not too good. And since they are tweaking that area on the mako2 it seems it is the skate and not the wearer.

• Like 1

I got the ankle sore spot and so did all 4 friends that bought them. 5 out of 5 is not too good. And since they are tweaking that area on the mako2 it seems it is the skate and not the wearer.

Yep, if they know about it and fixed it, then it's the fault of the skate, not the person wearing it.

Or.................... the ankle pads are not big enough to keep above your ankles from rubbing the top of the skates in which case everybody is right. They don't fit properly everywhere for every customer. Even though all customers who have the Mako bumps fit the skates everywhere except above the ankles. And the manufacturer can address something to open up their range of who the skate "properly " fits. No?

All point of view. Reminds me of older Tacks issues involving the tendon guard that rubbed the lower calf leaving.........(coining new phrase I think)......Tack bumps.

Manufacturers fault? Skates fit properly? .......Most don't end up with Tack bumps. Do the Tack wearers who got Tack bumps blame their stride or CCM for making an improperly fitting skate?

Edited by All Flash