Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

Android phones are just as easy to use as an iphone, just without the cute icons and fanboyism.

They're also much more powerful. Owning an iphone is pretty much what it is, an ipod that makes calls. Owning an android or some blackberry phones is pretty much like owning a smaller netbook. It's cool if you're looking for an ipod that you can make calls on, not if you want to do business.

What business related task is there that the iPhone can't do? The iPhone is clearly targeted at a younger, more entertainment oriented crowd but it is still a viable business phone option.

There are iPhone apps to read and edit Excel, Word and QuickBooks files, but who'd want to use an iPhone, Droid or Blackberry for those tasks? The only use I could see for those apps is for taking a quick scan of a file while one is away from his desktop or laptop, such as while at the airport or on a sales call; otherwise, their screens are just too small to be desirable for reading spreadsheets.

Problem is though, that it doesn't matter how many phones they pump out on the market when they can't make it "right". They got the hardware but it's still a pain to use it..

Using my Droid, or any Android phone for that matter (I have friends with Nexus Ones and MyTouch's) has been nothing but smooth for me. They must be doing something right, because you cannot say Apple isn't getting a little worried.

Cool

Problem is though, that it doesn't matter how many phones they pump out on the market when they can't make it "right". They got the hardware but it's still a pain to use it..

Make it right? As in, only right handed? Because I think Apple has a patent on that.....

The biggest thing for me that convinced me to get an Android OS is the open development and widgets. Both of which Apple can not do. And they JUST got around to letting their users multi-task. But for some reason they were all excited about being able to run an app while on the phone.... How is that useful?

Make it right? As in, only right handed? Because I think Apple has a patent on that.....

The biggest thing for me that convinced me to get an Android OS is the open development and widgets. Both of which Apple can not do. And they JUST got around to letting their users multi-task. But for some reason they were all excited about being able to run an app while on the phone.... How is that useful?

No, make it "right" as in make it efficient to use. Apple is obviously on the problem fixing it as we're speaking, and if you're unlucky and your reception

is affected, get a case and the problem is solved until they can fix the real problem. This is also why I decided not to buy the new iphone the first day.

How is it useful to run an app while on the phone, are you kidding me? Put the speaker phone on(or handsfree) and say you're not sure of what exit to take off the freeway. Just pull up the navigation apps and you got directions right in front of you. Or you're on the phone with your friend and your free to check your schedule, or look something up from a mail or internet.

Apple's not worried 'cause they know they have their niche. They're at a point that they could re-brand a nokia 5100 as the iphone 5100 and fan boys would buy them.

So I'm due for a phone upgrade from Verizon. I'm debating whether to get the Droid X when it comes out for a few weeks or wait till Black Friday and pick up one of the new 4G phones. Every report I've read says they're coming out with a "slew" of 4G phones that day for the holiday season and I don't want to buy a phone now and miss out on something great in a few months. Anyone have any insight?

So I'm due for a phone upgrade from Verizon. I'm debating whether to get the Droid X when it comes out for a few weeks or wait till Black Friday and pick up one of the new 4G phones. Every report I've read says they're coming out with a "slew" of 4G phones that day for the holiday season and I don't want to buy a phone now and miss out on something great in a few months. Anyone have any insight?

4G won't mean anything unless you're in an area that supports it. I say go with the Droid X.

BTW. Lucky-ass. I wanted a Droid X but I don't have an upgrade until November next year.

If you're worried about future releases and prices how do you ever make an electronics purchase of any kind?

Are you happy enough with your current phone that you can wait 6 months?

I read they're rolling it out to 25 markets in November that would cover 100 million subscribers.

I don't know about that, the last update I read was Boston and Seattle get 4G first. Later on three additional test markets, that were not named, will be added.

I don't know about that, the last update I read was Boston and Seattle get 4G first. Later on three additional test markets, that were not named, will be added.

I believe those markets already have it rolled out or it will be rolled out in the very near future. The rollout I'm talking about is the first commercial rollout coming in November.

http://fourgphones.com/4g-networks/verizon...work-4g-phones/

We get 4G for Sprint late this month. I will hold out for a better 4G phone even though I am already eligible for an upgrade.

The Evo's amazing but the Epic is going to pretty much be "the" 4g phone.

As of right now the closest strong 4g signal to me is Philly and that area.

And lets also remember that those phones working on a 3g signal are still way better than anything on the market.

So whats everyone doing thats with AT&T but doesnt want to upgrade to the iphone4? I want a droid phone, but I am getting a free phone deal through At&t. I looked online, and didnt see alot of unlocked android phones for cheap. Whats a man to do?

Zach

So whats everyone doing thats with AT&T but doesnt want to upgrade to the iphone4? I want a droid phone, but I am getting a free phone deal through At&t. I looked online, and didnt see alot of unlocked android phones for cheap. Whats a man to do?

Zach

HTC Aria is an android 2.1 phone, that's what you're looking for

The Evo's amazing but the Epic is going to pretty much be "the" 4g phone.

As of right now the closest strong 4g signal to me is Philly and that area.

And lets also remember that those phones working on a 3g signal are still way better than anything on the market.

I'm waiting for Palm. Not a fan of Android.

HTC Aria is an android 2.1 phone, that's what you're looking for

And in typical AT&T fashion, a crippled Android 2.1 phone. PRobably would be best served buying a Nexus One if he wants to do anything with it.

I believe those markets already have it rolled out or it will be rolled out in the very near future. The rollout I'm talking about is the first commercial rollout coming in November.

http://fourgphones.com/4g-networks/verizon...work-4g-phones/

I know what you're saying. I'm saying that I doubt they will have all 5 test markets done and expansion done by November. The goal after the first 5 test markets is supposed to be 25 additional cities... in under 5 full months.

Android phones are just as easy to use as an iphone, just without the cute icons and fanboyism.

lol

I can't believe how worked up people get about this crap. They're goddamn phones. It's like being a condescending asshole will make someone change their mind and go from one phone to another. This thread has become the news team rumble from Anchorman.

And in typical AT&T fashion, a crippled Android 2.1 phone. PRobably would be best served buying a Nexus One if he wants to do anything with it.

I was surprised when I saw how low the sales were for the N1. I felt it was the best Android phone out there when it was released.