Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pby

The Things LHS Do

Yeah Vulcan I was baking my 9ks at a reputable LHS and after like 10-15 minutes he told me to walk around with them on (apparenty you're not supposed to do that, right?) and then afterwards I said, alright, I'm not supposed to pump these for 24 hrs, right? And he said, "no, don't know where you heard that..."

As far as I know you're not suppose to stand in them. When I got mine done I was told to sit for 20 mins and under no circumstances to stand/walk.

Not relating to LHS but a mailorder house...

As a consumer, would you rather pay 'X' amount for something w/Free Shipping, or pay 'X - $20' for something but add back in $19 shipping? Netting an entire $1 off the order?

Hilarious.

Just the other day I got to the rink and I open my bag...No elbow pads. Must have left them on the drying rack. So going into the LHS at the rink, two gentlemen were sitting behind the counter watching some television while I tried on every single pair of elbows they had, from the 74.99 to the 34.99. Not once did they even offer to help me with a fit or ask me what kind of protection I was looking for. I ended up getting $50.00 elbow pads, which is not much, but it sure as heck is enough to get at least a nod out of one of them! They didnt even ask me if I got everything I needed. It was a bad time.

I wear a 10.5-11 shoe which is a VERY common size. So every time it's time to buy skates I find the average LHS in my area will be sold out of the high end skates in my size. Then they try to fit you into something you really don't want. When you try and order something through them, it takes MONTHS for the product to come in... Months...

Not relating to LHS but a mailorder house...

As a consumer, would you rather pay 'X' amount for something w/Free Shipping, or pay 'X - $20' for something but add back in $19 shipping? Netting an entire $1 off the order?

Hilarious.

I had a guy ask for a piece of paper so he could work out the numbers. Ordering online saved him $1.25 over our price on an in stock item. He never gave us a chance to match and ordered it online. Sad thing is I ended up making more of a profit on the first time sharpening, baking and five sharpenings than I would have made if he bought the low end skates from me.

play it again sports montreal.

i walked in yesterday ready to buy 2 easton s19 which were on special (289$, from 329$, yes we get raped in canada with hockey equipement prices). nobody even bothered coming to help or say hi can i help you?. store was empty, 3 teenagers, working on the floor were doing nothing except texting and ignoring me. i walked away and my 600$ will be spent elsewhere

I wear a 10.5-11 shoe which is a VERY common size. So every time it's time to buy skates I find the average LHS in my area will be sold out of the high end skates in my size. Then they try to fit you into something you really don't want. When you try and order something through them, it takes MONTHS for the product to come in... Months...

Yeah, but what's your skate size? :dry:

Let me guess: every time you go to buy skates it is in December to March. That is when most LHS, if they are managing their inventory and their inventory $$ correctly, would usually be out of the "common sizes." They have sold through their current inventory of skates which arrive beginning in April and are waiting for the new line of skates to arrive again. At the same time, the vendors have sold through their inventory of skates as well. The best time to buy skates is not in the middle of the season because that is the end of the season for the LHS. It is a vicious cycle but once you figure it out, it is easy to know when you will get the best selection of skates.

Let me guess: every time you go to buy skates it is in December to March. That is when most LHS, if they are managing their inventory and their inventory $$ correctly, would usually be out of the "common sizes." They have sold through their current inventory of skates which arrive beginning in April and are waiting for the new line of skates to arrive again. At the same time, the vendors have sold through their inventory of skates as well. The best time to buy skates is not in the middle of the season because that is the end of the season for the LHS. It is a vicious cycle but once you figure it out, it is easy to know when you will get the best selection of skates.

Agreed. I believe it's also true that even during your typical 'restocking period' for LHS, equipment arrival times are staggered, at least this is the case for us.

I broke a lace lock putting my skates on for a Friday night skate MN Made rink in Edina. LHS in Eagan replaced lace lock. Person behind counter said "no charge" when I went to pay. Try getting service like that on line. Not sure I can post store name and do not want to break MSH rules. Support your LHS so they can stay in business and take care of us hockey players!

6 months till we see the outside ice! Dreaming of "flying down the ice" at Sky Hill park in Eagan MN.

I just had a great time at Livonia Perani's, the guy fitting me for skates was really knowledgeable and helpful. While my skates baked we talked about the new warrior customizer and other cool equipment coming up. Good to see LHS workers who are passionate about their job.

I just had a great time at Livonia Perani's, the guy fitting me for skates was really knowledgeable and helpful. While my skates baked we talked about the new warrior customizer and other cool equipment coming up. Good to see LHS workers who are passionate about their job.

I was just there: Fun story.

My little brother has $100 to spend. We wander over to the old skate bin, he finds a pair in his size, Easton Z-Airs from like 2001 or somthing. Mid end skate with cheap "Tuuk Plus" holders and fixed steel. Asks the boss, who says they were originally $499, will do them for $89. I doubt they were $499, but beside the point, %89 is a great deal. We get them baked and the boss leaves. Kid loses the ticket the boss wrote up. "How much were they?" and I tell him $89. He smirks, says "I heard $79" and writes us a new ticket. Get to the checkout, where the girl looks them up in the system, confused. Thinking shes going to try and mark them back up to the original price, I say "He wrote us a ticket for $79" hoping to save time, and she says "I know, but they're in the computer for $20." The kid who sharpenned the skates comes up, hears, and says "Lucky you. Sold."

I'm sure they aren't $500 skates, but I'd bet they went for $250 new, and for $20 for a stiffer, stonger, and much better fitting skate, it was definitely a good deal.

+1 to the Livonia Peranis. I live in Windsor and if I'm heading over to the Detroit area for any gear shopping, I drive the extra distance to that location over the Taylor one. The staff in the Livonia location seem to care more, and every time I've been there they've always knocked a bit off the price of whatever I'm buying. Excellent experiences there.

Asked for a pricing on multiples of the same item and told my LHS to call me with a price if a discount were to be given. Ended up getting a call saying that the items I wanted are in. wtf! And the price is way more than another shop said they would give it to me for this little item.

Any suggestions?

Asked for a pricing on multiples of the same item and told my LHS to call me with a price if a discount were to be given. Ended up getting a call saying that the items I wanted are in. wtf! And the price is way more than another shop said they would give it to me for this little item.

Any suggestions?

I would be inclined to tell them to pound sand, no?

Any suggestions?

So all you did was ask for a call with a price, and they ordered the stuff for you instead? Not your fault, you've got no obligation to them.

I would be inclined to tell them to pound sand, no?

Lol. But they're my go-to skate sharpener place.

So all you did was ask for a call with a price, and they ordered the stuff for you instead? Not your fault, you've got no obligation to them.

Exactly. Picked up my skates then asked the store owner (young guy) if he is able to do a discount for a bulk order of an item and to give me a call if he could get it in and the cost since I didn't want to put him on the spot. A week later I get a phone call from an employee that my order is in. I had no time to talk but I just agreed. So, I'm trying to figure out my next move carefully since I know I will be coming back.

If it was a simple misunderstanding I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If it was a real inconvenience for them to get the item(s) then they might have talked to you about a deposit before ordering.

Lol. But they're my go-to skate sharpener place.

Exactly. Picked up my skates then asked the store owner (young guy) if he is able to do a discount for a bulk order of an item and to give me a call if he could get it in and the cost since I didn't want to put him on the spot. A week later I get a phone call from an employee that my order is in. I had no time to talk but I just agreed. So, I'm trying to figure out my next move carefully since I know I will be coming back.

What does that mean? If you agreed to buy at his price, you made a deal, rather than simply telling him you'd call him back when you could talk. If you didn't agree to buy, then you need to ask him why he ordered the stuff when you asked for no more than a price, and work through the misunderstanding. Tell him about the better price you already have from the other place.

\ Try getting service like that on line.

You are lucky. I have to drive 110 miles to the closest good shop. I make the drive for skates and if I don't know exactly what I want. But when it comes to sticks or other equipment that is a replacement so I know it works or feels good in the hands I will go online. When I can get a total one at 229. - 10% and free shipping it makes it really hard for me to justify spending 30-40 on gas, 229.00 on a stick+ tax, and 5 bucks on a bridge. I am all for supporting the lhs, but unless I am making the drive to the bay for something else or just feel like it I can't beat my go to online supplier. Plus if I order by 2 p.m. I get it by 1 p.m. the next day via ground.

You are lucky. I have to drive 110 miles to the closest good shop. I make the drive for skates and if I don't know exactly what I want. But when it comes to sticks or other equipment that is a replacement so I know it works or feels good in the hands I will go online. When I can get a total one at 229. - 10% and free shipping it makes it really hard for me to justify spending 30-40 on gas, 229.00 on a stick+ tax, and 5 bucks on a bridge. I am all for supporting the lhs, but unless I am making the drive to the bay for something else or just feel like it I can't beat my go to online supplier. Plus if I order by 2 p.m. I get it by 1 p.m. the next day via ground.

I guess everything's relative, but I'd say you're stretching a point to call that a lhs.

That is all I have. Our shop at the rink only carries low end stuff at high end prices and the guys I play hockey with will tell me to go online if we want high end at competitive prices.

Understood; it just doesn't seem particularly "local".

I've seen rink shops with selection like that here, with little, if anything, in adult sizes, let alone larger adult sizes. But we've got a Total Hockey, too, where I go for FBV sharpening.

That is all I have. Our shop at the rink only carries low end stuff at high end prices and the guys I play hockey with will tell me to go online if we want high end at competitive prices.

Have you contacted the shop 110 miles away and explained your situation to them, maybe they would be willing to ship? Not saying you shouldn't be buying online in your situation just another option.