Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, gosinger said:

It depends on the t-nut, if you get one with a small enough diameter and shorten the teeth you can always go back.

On my skates I did a T-Nut and bolt with size M4, didn't have to enlage the hole so I could always go back to a copper rivet. 

That's really nice. Can you please share a pic? I wish to see which t-nut you used.

Mine was replaced by a local shop. I think it's a nut from a helmet, not exactly a t-nut.

Kakao-Talk-20191121-201201379.jpg

Kakao-Talk-20191121-201201072.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really considering getting a pair of Trues. I’ve been through 4 different retail skates and I can’t rid of pain in my arches, I’ve tried different insoles in each skate as well. Any idea if these would solve my issue? I read about people getting pair if they have abnormalities with their feet, but I don’t recall anyone mentioning pain in their arches in retail skates and then moving to Trues. Just trying to get an idea before I drop this much money on some skates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had my pair for just under a year and my biggest complaint is durability. It’s been awful in my experience. Granted I skate almost exclusively as an official and can sometimes be on the ice for up to 10hrs a day, I take really great care of my skates. The eyelets/tendon rivets constantly come loose. The liner has compacted to almost nothing which has ruined the fit and I’ve got large holes where the tongue rubs the liner near the top two eyelets. Overall pretty disappointed that $1000 skates have a bout a years worth of life. I’d go back to Bauer or try CCM but I’m afraid they can’t replicate the zero negative space fit. Anyone had experience with custom 2X Pros? They looked promising in terms of wrap/ eliminating negative space.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, Sniper9 said:

So just realized my trues only have 9 eyelets, obviously because they are made to the size of my feet / strategically placed. 

My as1s and previous Bauer's both had 10.  Because I skip an eyelet on the Trues does that equate to almost two eyelets dropped on the as1s, esp because the as1s were even taller than it's predecessor?

I already noticed even tying my trues all the way to the top I had quite a bit more flexion vs the as1s. 

I had pain in my arches as I needed Nexus due to size of my feet but I have flat feet so I was always in pain. Been good in my Tried after dialing them in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dasuchin said:

I’m really considering getting a pair of Trues. I’ve been through 4 different retail skates and I can’t rid of pain in my arches, I’ve tried different insoles in each skate as well. Any idea if these would solve my issue? I read about people getting pair if they have abnormalities with their feet, but I don’t recall anyone mentioning pain in their arches in retail skates and then moving to Trues. Just trying to get an idea before I drop this much money on some skates. 

. True does make the boot according to your arch height as well. You can always try speedplates too as they conform to your specific arch. I'd try speed plates if ur current skates are fine other than the arches

2 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I had pain in my arches as I needed Nexus due to size of my feet but I have flat feet so I was always in pain. Been good in my Tried after dialing them in.

I think you quoted the wrong post. 

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Catalyst said:

Anyone using the “Thin Profile” tongues in the True customs?  Feedback please.....

Is it the newest one? I thought they were called thin pro or something that is why I am asking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

. True does make the boot according to your arch height as well. You can always try speedplates too as they conform to your specific arch. I'd try speed plates if ur current skates are fine other than the arches

I think you quoted the wrong post. 

Trying speedplates would be the cheaper option I guess. I'd just hate to spend the money on some Trues and still have arch pain.

3 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I had pain in my arches as I needed Nexus due to size of my feet but I have flat feet so I was always in pain. Been good in my Tried after dialing them in.

What did you do to dial them in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jared9356 said:

I’ve had my pair for just under a year and my biggest complaint is durability. It’s been awful in my experience. Granted I skate almost exclusively as an official and can sometimes be on the ice for up to 10hrs a day, I take really great care of my skates. The eyelets/tendon rivets constantly come loose. The liner has compacted to almost nothing which has ruined the fit and I’ve got large holes where the tongue rubs the liner near the top two eyelets. Overall pretty disappointed that $1000 skates have a bout a years worth of life. I’d go back to Bauer or try CCM but I’m afraid they can’t replicate the zero negative space fit. Anyone had experience with custom 2X Pros? They looked promising in terms of wrap/ eliminating negative space.

Appreciate the feedback. As a fellow official myself, I've been eyeing up VH/Trues for about 2-3 years now. Another officiating buddy of mine also complained about the durability of the True skates (his pair is the 1st Gen). I've been pushing off the purchase because I don't want "eat" $1K in vain. The incentives are there though (e.g. custom fit, tax write-off). Interested to hear from other officials and their respective experiences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dasuchin said:

Trying speedplates would be the cheaper option I guess. I'd just hate to spend the money on some Trues and still have arch pain.

What did you do to dial them in?

If u get arch pain even in custom skates or speed plates then you need to look further into why you are having arch pain as it's probably biomechanical. You may have to start doing some exercises and fascial release of the arch muscles, and even work hour way up to the calves and shins etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jared9356 said:

I’ve had my pair for just under a year and my biggest complaint is durability. It’s been awful in my experience. Granted I skate almost exclusively as an official and can sometimes be on the ice for up to 10hrs a day, I take really great care of my skates. The eyelets/tendon rivets constantly come loose. The liner has compacted to almost nothing which has ruined the fit and I’ve got large holes where the tongue rubs the liner near the top two eyelets. Overall pretty disappointed that $1000 skates have a bout a years worth of life. I’d go back to Bauer or try CCM but I’m afraid they can’t replicate the zero negative space fit. Anyone had experience with custom 2X Pros? They looked promising in terms of wrap/ eliminating negative space.

How many times a week are you on the ice? Did ur previous skates last much longer with the same amount of use?

By eyelets coming loose do you mean them rusting over and need replacing or literally breaking off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is also an excellent time for ppl to get trues. Free upgrades for personalization including blacksteel. And 7 day rush turnaround. 

Even makes me want to get a second pair 😑

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Appreciate the feedback. As a fellow official myself, I've been eyeing up VH/Trues for about 2-3 years now. Another officiating buddy of mine also complained about the durability of the True skates (his pair is the 1st Gen). I've been pushing off the purchase because I don't want "eat" $1K in vain. The incentives are there though (e.g. custom fit, tax write-off). Interested to hear from other officials and their respective experiences.

For the first 6 months I absolutely loved them. If I weren’t doing beer league/youth and only working higher levels I probably wouldn’t have the issues just based on mileage. They fit well and are much easier on the feet for a 4 game set than retail. Other complaint is that they retain water like crazy and depending on how much you sweat, you could be standing in a puddle after a game or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

How many times a week are you on the ice? Did ur previous skates last much longer with the same amount of use?

By eyelets coming loose do you mean them rusting over and need replacing or literally breaking off?

As of now it’s my career so I’m on the ice weekly. It’s weekends like last one that hurt (30+ hours on ice between AAA/Junior). But the thing is, I take great care of them. Insoles come out immediately after use and they’re drying directly in front of a fan no later than an hours after each use.

Rusting out. Since the foam has compacted within the last 4/5 months, I’ve had to crank the laces around the instep which has resulted in some of them pulling out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jared9356 said:

As of now it’s my career so I’m on the ice weekly. It’s weekends like last one that hurt (30+ hours on ice between AAA/Junior). But the thing is, I take great care of them. Insoles come out immediately after use and they’re drying directly in front of a fan no later than an hours after each use.

Rusting out. Since the foam has compacted within the last 4/5 months, I’ve had to crank the laces around the instep which has resulted in some of them pulling out.

Did you rebake the skates after the foam compressed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jared9356 said:

I’ve had my pair for just under a year and my biggest complaint is durability. It’s been awful in my experience. Granted I skate almost exclusively as an official and can sometimes be on the ice for up to 10hrs a day [...]

If I was skating 10 hours a day, I would get 2~3 pairs at a time, and rotate them every 5 hours.

Regular shoes work the same way, two shoes bought one after another wear out much faster than two shoes bought at the same time and swapped every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Giltis said:

If I was skating 10 hours a day, I would get 2~3 pairs at a time, and rotate them every 5 hours.

Regular shoes work the same way, two shoes bought one after another wear out much faster than two shoes bought at the same time and swapped every day.

This. It has nothing to do with time frame but total hours. I am on the ice 1-2 times a week and about 1.5-2 hrs a session and my skates show no real issues after a year.  Just surface scratches and scuffs and just some minor surface rust on some of the rivet prongs. Not even all just the ones more prone to exposure to sweat and water. 

You should rebake them after the foam compacted. I've rebaked my skates three times in the first four mths. The first bake was meh. The last bake really dialed them in bc it took into account the foam being a bit more compact etc.  You shouldn't have to crank on the laces with these skates at all. 

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

If u get arch pain even in custom skates or speed plates then you need to look further into why you are having arch pain as it's probably biomechanical. You may have to start doing some exercises and fascial release of the arch muscles, and even work hour way up to the calves and shins etc. 

I haven't tried any custom skates yet, that's why I'm here trying to figure out if they'd help with arch pain at all or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Catalyst said:

That’s the one yes. The NON felt back. https://www.true-hockey.com/true-products/custom-skates/

I was expecting thinner like the old Bauer tongues. These still feel a bit thick for my liking as if I crank the laces I start to get lace bite near my instep. I enjoy the tongue more than the stock one though just for the lower profile.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hills said:

I was expecting thinner like the old Bauer tongues. These still feel a bit thick for my liking as if I crank the laces I start to get lace bite near my instep. I enjoy the tongue more than the stock one though just for the lower profile.

Wouldn't a thinner tongue be more conducive to lace bite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dasuchin said:

I haven't tried any custom skates yet, that's why I'm here trying to figure out if they'd help with arch pain at all or not.

No one can really answer this because your arch pain can be caused by various things. 

9 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Wouldn't a thinner tongue be more conducive to lace bite?

I saw the new tongue in person today for the first time and it's actually quite beefy.  I expected it to bee really thin but it's not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t really have the money to drop 2k at the beginning of the year on skates or I’d definitely do that. My MX3s took the same abuse with no issues for about 8 months prior to the True switch. That’s why I’m considering MyBauer. The injected eyelets and wear patches are small but significant additions. It’s disappointing that True can’t offer similar solutions to common problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jared9356 said:

Don’t really have the money to drop 2k at the beginning of the year on skates or I’d definitely do that. My MX3s took the same abuse with no issues for about 8 months prior to the True switch. That’s why I’m considering MyBauer. The injected eyelets and wear patches are small but significant additions. It’s disappointing that True can’t offer similar solutions to common problems.

I think more ppl have had issues with their injected eyelets then standard ones.  At the end of the day wear issues occur in some and not in others in diff areas of skates throughout all brands. True may just not be for you in terms of what you want out of a skate durability wise. 

Also, who knows whether the current line if Bauer's last as long as ur mx3s

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×