Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Righthanded or lefthanded shot?

Side you shoot from? Area you live?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

US, shoot right, write righty.

Does anyone remember reading an article that came out a few years ago about the biomechanics of the way you hold your stick? I'll try to find it if I can, but I don't have a clue where to start looking. Basically the idea was that based on your dominant hand for writing, whether you held the stick with your power hand on top or bottom gave your body certain biomechanical advantages. For example the article claimed that players with their power hand on top (ie a right handed person shooting lefty) were apt to improved peripheral vision, and those with the power hand on the bottom were prone to decreased vision, but obviously more strength on their stick and an aptitude to handle the puck in close to their bodies. It almost sounded to me like they were claiming those with the power hand on top were able to skate with their heads up and those with the power hand on the bottom skated with their heads down and scrapped around the net. (Obviously not true.)

All theory of course, and like many medical or scientific discoveries these days, probably just someone's attempt to come up with a new theory to put their name on. I'd be interested to see what their research techniques involved, especially since some players are just going to be better because they practice more. (And some people just aren't going to be good at things no matter what they do) It's amazing what will be researched and written about a sport by someone who has never put a jock strap on in their life, isn't it?

Anybody remember seeing something like this?

RH, everything righty.

Grew up and live in Germany, Europe.

In Germany the righty ration is 15% at best. Nothing but lefties here.

I've read somewhere that US-americans are over-proportionally righty because they grow up with other batting sports (baseball) that teach them to bat right. No idea if it's true.

I've heard the same thing...

As far as i can remember it was Sean Skinner (aka Sean 'Fake' Skinhead)

I'm Right handed, shoot, bat, throw and write righty I come from England. the majority of people over hear play right. i notice when i stick handle righty, most of the work is done with my right hand, and i only roll my left wrist a bit.... but when i stick handle lefty all the work is done with my right (top) hand. so i roll my wrist loads and the bottom hand doesnt do as much.

Yes, many American right handers also shoot right handed, contrary to the way it is supposed to be played. However, I have heard from one scout that there is a shortage of right shooting defensemen, and they are sought after. So I guess there is some compensation for doing it backward!

I wouldn't call the sample large enough for too many conclusions but, while the American ratios are what I've heard, I'm surprised by the Canadian.

Americans: 23 to 10 RH to LH

Canadians: 18 to 13 RH to LH

I think it also depends on the age at which you start playing hockey; the younger, the more likely the dominant hand will be on top.

Born in Canada, started playing hockey age 3

hockey LH

write, throw, tennis, bowl, shoot pool, archery RH

golf LH

I think it also depends on the age at which you start playing hockey; the younger, the more likely the dominant hand will be on top.

Born in Canada, started playing hockey age 3

hockey LH

write, throw, tennis, bowl, shoot pool, archery RH

golf LH

True, I did a poll a while back that backed up that assertion. I had originally read it in an article about 5-6 years ago that your dominant hand is more likely to be at the top of the stick the younger you start playing.

I wouldn't call the sample large enough for too many conclusions but, while the American ratios are what I've heard, I'm surprised by the Canadian.

Americans: 23 to 10 RH to LH

Canadians: 18 to 13 RH to LH

In my area it's easily 4 or 5 to 1 RH - LH

I wonder what the ratio is like in the NHL? According to the Hockey News, 52% of NHL players are Canadian so that could also skew results.

JJ

i do everything righty except hockey. the reason for this being was that when i was younger my mom lived with her parents and some of her other siblings. so when her brother, my uncle, taught me how to play all he had was left handed sticks, so i learned left cuz i had to.

Shoot lefty, write lefty, throw righty in the USA. What's golf?

As a stick buyer for 20+ years, righty outsells lefty easily 3 to 1. The last few years I always end up with more lefty OPS than righty at the end of the year. It pays to be a lefty when the sticks are on sale and marked down!

I shoot/write/bat/golf/throw ambi but there's a preference towards lefty for everything but writing. I think I might be a lefty at heart, but when I write with my left it smudges everything so I guess I just gravitated to the right.

Almost all of my friends shoot left, and I'm in Canada.

28 RH versus 19 LH was not what I was expecting for Canadians. I had always heard Canadians were lefties.

I'm betting if you did a larger poll amount, it might be more beneficial to what you're looking for.

28 RH versus 19 LH was not what I was expecting for Canadians. I had always heard Canadians were lefties.

I'm betting if you did a larger poll amount, it might be more beneficial to what you're looking for.

I agree, it's not a large enough sampling to be accurate.