Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

Have any of you actually cut down shin pads? (ie. if it was 15", cut it down to 14")

Yes, I have (Easton Air 17" down by an inch), I talk about it earlier in this thread somewhere.

Is there a way to make a glove smaller (From size 14 to size 13) without ruining the glove? And I would use a professional to do this.

For Anyone That Is Curious;

I'll answer my own question. I contacted the guy who's re-palming my gloves and he said he can adjust the gloves to fit like 13" gloves by shortening the cuff. He told me in-order to tighten the fingers he would have to re-palm the gloves.

For Anyone That Is Curious;

I'll answer my own question. I contacted the guy who's re-palming my gloves and he said he can adjust the gloves to fit like 13" gloves by shortening the cuff. He told me in-order to tighten the fingers he would have to re-palm the gloves.

Nice to know, but I wonder how much all these modifications would cost. And how long it would take. Just get new gloves :lol:

Nice to know, but I wonder how much all these modifications would cost. And how long it would take. Just get new gloves :lol:

It's going to be $60 for Eagle MSH2 palms put on and I bought the gloves used for $25. $85 for the glove I want with the palm I want, customized for my hands. Much better than spending $220 on custom franchise gloves.

Anyone want to guess if this would be possible, or how hard it would be (and what it would involve)?... I'm thinking of buying some pro-stock pants, but they're two-piece pants, and they only have the lowers (and for some reason, it's impossible to find pro-stock pant uppers). I have an old pair of pants that I'd like to cut the top part off of, and convert into uppers for the pro-stock pants. My pants are pretty old, and the exterior them is pretty much ruined/full of holes anyway, so I don't care if I try this and it doesn't work out because my pants can't really be sold/used again anyway.

I've found a way to add a bit of extra length to pants. Perhaps similar methods can be used by people who have great fitting pants already but would like a bit of extra length, for kids to get that extra bit of time in, or for those who do not/cannot acquire tall sizes of stock pants.

For my test module, I luckily found a pair of slightly used RYR 6000s from a thrift store for $7.99 CDN (part of this haul : http://www.modsquadh...page__st__18900)

I normally wear SR Medium and most Medium pants are long enough for my 5'10" 140 lb frame. I prefer them to go down somewhere between the top of my kneecap and the middle. My current go-to pair of Tackla 5500 Air's are of this criteria, in a size 48, while the RYRs are SR Small at size 46. The only thing that didn't work for me off the shelf (or pile, in this case) was the length, as I needed about an extra 1" +/- 0.25".

It's a pretty simple procedure; involving the now-realized handiwork scepter that is the Speedy Stitcher (buy one...NOW), some fabric clips (thanks for the tip, LawGoalie), a seam ripper, some hot glue and spare binding salvaged from another pair of pants.

Some pants have the hem stitched with the inside thigh padding integrated with it and simply folded in and re-stitched. I un-stitched this with the ripper, straightened and restitched the thigh foam backing and stitched on the binding on the now extended length of the pant shell.

img00351201206152053.th.jpg

Above : comparison of regular stock length and the finished extended length with stitched binding. Underneath the stitched line on the stock leg is the curled and stitched foam/nylon. That is simple unfurled.

img00358201206192231.th.jpg

Above : Normally, the red nylon shell is stitched with the foam behind it and curled up.

img00357201206192230.th.jpg

Above: the finished project. About an extra 3/4" to 1". I purposely did not stitch the binding alongside the stretch gusset to allow for mobility.

Notes:

- this will only work on pants with a sufficient amount of nylon wrapped in the hem to allow for enough length once un-stitched and unfurled

- I question the durability of the binding as most of it is exposed to your thigh movements, I wish I could find a better binding scheme that is flexible as well.

Anyone want to guess if this would be possible, or how hard it would be (and what it would involve)?... I'm thinking of buying some pro-stock pants, but they're two-piece pants, and they only have the lowers (and for some reason, it's impossible to find pro-stock pant uppers). I have an old pair of pants that I'd like to cut the top part off of, and convert into uppers for the pro-stock pants. My pants are pretty old, and the exterior them is pretty much ruined/full of holes anyway, so I don't care if I try this and it doesn't work out because my pants can't really be sold/used again anyway.

Hey man. I've done this. I cut my Bauer Supreme One75s and attached Warrior lowers. Mine hook up with buttons. I'm looking to get them sewn on permanently though. I'm sure any tailor or seamstress could do it.

The tongues on my buddy's X60's were falling apart and starting to cause pain. We dug up his old CCM 952's and I attached those tongues this morning. .Not the prettiest, but it's a nice leather covered bound felt tongue with great lace bite protection.

July72012012.jpg

• Like 1

Fairly simple mod. I got MIA narrows and was hoping they would be tighter than they are, on the back of the hand. Grabbed a pair of cheap wristbands from Walmart, sewed them quickly in the back, and I have the fit I want. Probably won't last long, but I'm going to skate with them and make sure I like them, and then get the local shoe repair place to do them a little more effectively.

Pad.jpg

Edited by dsjunior1388

Yes, I have (Easton Air 17" down by an inch), I talk about it earlier in this thread somewhere.

Could you point me to it? I searched the thread and did a quick browse through and didn't see anything.

Could you point me to it? I searched the thread and did a quick browse through and didn't see anything.

It's post #5. No pics, sorry. I cut down the plastic (tin snips) preserving the contours on the bottom, then re-attached the padding (with thread) and the lining at the bottom of the plastic.

Not a modification to an existing piece of equipment but still might fit in this thread. I was a bit intrigued by the excitement around the old Jofa wrist guards when I saw a pair sell for close to $200. I used an old pair of Jofa 5044 elbows, rip the exact plastic piece off of them (some of these have the piece stitched on top of the forarm portion, others have them inside) and made my own. I wore then at a skate. Fairly comfortable and not obstructing any hand movement, although, I really do not need to wear them. Think of me just having some time to kill. Let me know what you think...

664F92E0-AF20-4FA1-87DD-A97C4B6FFD18-9090-0000098A0BF42067.jpg

2B7FCB02-6147-4475-A1C2-793283C07D65-9090-0000098A0265D414.jpg

EE183C8D-1A9A-45F0-AAE2-68532BF549B1-9090-0000098A5CF6F261.jpg

3FF49EB0-C541-4238-97BA-0586E901DD8A-9090-0000098A0F1BB346.jpg

Have some Winnwell pro stock gloves, took a marker out and colored the white parts green. Now they are black and green and look pretty sharp.

I have done a ton of 2-pc MacGyvered sticks out of busted OPS.

On that point, I am ashamed none of you mentioned MacGyver AKA Richard Dean Anderson was from Minnesota!!!

Added back protection to my pants. This almost completely covers my middle back which is absolutely fantastic since I take a lot of abuse in front of the net.

imag0481j.jpg

imag0482oy.jpg