Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

Posting this as per request of a forum member. Today at the TBL equipment sale I let JR and Spreedizzle nudge me into making an additional, unplanned purchase... A pair of Walker Warrior Franchises with extra protection and leather added to the palm and base of the middle finger.

As seen here:

beforer.jpg

before2s.jpg

F that noise. Took 10 minutes and had to reattach the base of the palm to the cuff with an awl but here are the results:

afterkx.jpg

after2c.jpg

*Pics of gloves pre-reattaching the base of the palm.

And the pussification materials that were removed:

sissyassprotection.jpg

Edited by TBLfan

Posting this as per request of a forum member. Today at the TBL equipment sale I let JR and Spreedizzle nudge me into making an additional, unplanned purchase... A pair of Walker Warrior Franchises with extra protection and leather added to the palm and base of the middle finger.

F that noise. Took 10 minutes and had to reattach the base of the palm to the cuff with an awl but here are the results:

*Pics of gloves pre-reattaching the base of the palm.

And the pussification materials that were removed:

a-ha! I had wondered about that! I noticed that Walker's gloves looked strange a few months ago and kept meaning to ask you about it....

hey all,

I bought new shoulder pads. Got the Farrell H600 shoulder pads and removed the attachable shoulder caps off them. and since they run short and big, this meant i would need to the straps to be tighter so i had to attach additional velcro on the pads and also did the same thing so i could attach my old stomach pieces off my old shoulder pads. this meant i can make the protection better on the pads my using the stomach pieces on the front and back of the pads.

what i did was i went to wal-mart and bought a few adhesive velcro square packages. each box came with a set of 12 pairs of black velcro squared measured at like 7/8" (so like 2.2cm, whereas the velcro squares on the farrell pads were 2.5cm). i then just stuck them on any of the squares on my shoulder pads where i would want additional velcro squares so i can either attach the stomach pieces like i said from my old pads, or else if i wanted a tight fit and didnt want the velcro straps of the shoulder pads to cling and rip the inside liner, i just stuck them on the liner to prevent any tearing. just make sure you let the adhesive have time to stick onto the material. also attached more velcro blocks on the arm strap area, so the strap doesnt hang lose and can stick onto the pads.

hope this helps anyone thinking of grabbing the Farrell pads.

also contacted Farrell and they said they would ship a pair of the hard movable plastic pieces for $10 (if you wanted more protection, or use them as a substitute of the shoulder caps.

----

note

I used the "Velcro" brand heres a link and it is item #90072

http://www.velcro.com/index.php?page=consu...ked-sticky-back

For the farrell h600 you can buy black, or else white for the H500 pads

well, i blacked out a few pairs of gloves using a type of indian ink/dye and sealed them with like a leather water proof spray. i've taken a torch to composite and wood blades to re shape a curve and a belt sander to change the lie and or toe shape. i like to remove as much padding from shoulder pads including the caps and what ever else i can cut out. i have stitched extra padding into gloves for guys that have broken their hands before. i can make minor repairs to any piece of equipment. i found an easy way to sanitize stuff in the dishwasher on the dry cycle. and my favorite thing to do, is to remove a layer of foam in my helmet so i don't look like a mongoloid....

anyone need an equipment manager?

Before:

_DSC7279.jpg

After:

_DSC7768.jpg

I then used the rest of the Rbk shoulder pads and cut out different pieces to add extra padding to my girdle. Now there's thicker padding for the spine, groin, and backside:

_DSC7767.jpg

_DSC7765.jpg

I'm looking to add some significant back padding to my pants. Ideally, it'd be something I can sew into the pants and that covers up to my mid-back. I'm 5' 8", so there's not a whole lot of back real estate, but since I'm wearing Douglas pads they don't come down enough. Took some pretty decent crosschecks right to my back where there is zero padding last game and It's time to beef up that area.

What I had in mind was a square-ish/rectangularish piece of padding that is sewn into my pants and overlaps the back of my shoulder pads. Here's a very quick mockup I made in photoshop:

quickmockuppads.jpg

My shoulder pads come down to that red line, and the orange square is the amount of padding I would like to add. I'm currently in Easton ST16 pants, and the back of the pant does come up a little bit, as seen here: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-...st16-sr-09.html Ideally, I'd like to have the pad be sewn in at the bottom of where the orange padding starts, or close to it.

So, my question for you all is what would be best suited for this, and what would be the best method in making this work? My first thought was kevlar padding, but that weighs way too much. So would I be better off taking padding from older shoulder pads/goalie pads and making my own casing for them... etc... that sort of mindset.

Any input/suggestions/anything is very much appreciated! Thanks guys.

Yeah the new warrior sholder pants seem great. They seem like there protective, yet still light and protective. If not then all i could think of was, get like a chest pad from a sholder and somehow shape that into the area you want covered as it will offer protection but wont get in the way much. Just a thought.

Part of the point is to not have to buy new shoulder pads. Warrior's shoulder pads just do not look that comfortable to me. I'm perfectly happy with the protection they offer for my shoulders and chest, I just want some additional padding for my back, as I demonstrated above.

I'm sending off my Mission AGX skates for a new felt tongue and a plastic lace bite insert today and also my NB One90 gloves to get re-palmed with the Eagle MSH2 palms.

I'll take some pictures when I get them back in a couple weeks.

I'm using http://www.hockeyrepair.com/ if anyone wanted to know.

why not peaches? I need to send a pair off and possibly another pair. I was going to use peaches.

Part of the point is to not have to buy new shoulder pads. Warrior's shoulder pads just do not look that comfortable to me. I'm perfectly happy with the protection they offer for my shoulders and chest, I just want some additional padding for my back, as I demonstrated above.

thats true. well like i sayed id get a peice of thin plastic or something like you would fint on the front or even back of a pair of other sholders, then just add it onto your pants. just get like a jofa backpeice of something not too big but yet still protective and add it on.

what about a back plate that football players use?

either attached you your shoulders or upside down to your pants.

The football plates that I've seen aren't big enough to cover what I wanted covered. Unless you're talking about taking the actual back plate off of a pair of football pads, and even then I don't think it'd be big enough. Rib plates definitely weren't big enough either.

what about getting a used c/a from play it again. remove the extra paddind on the front and arms and then cut the base pad to fit your back. damn i had a vaugnh chest pad without any thing on it and threw it away thinking i woud never use it.

Anybody having an issue with the tailbone padding shifting up when you go over the boards? I have to wait for a free moment during the shift to put my hand down the back of my pants and straighten it back out. I'm thinking about sewing some sort of elastic in there to keep it down.

They are Bauer X60 pants. A guy on my team says his Tacklas do it a lot too.

why not peaches? I need to send a pair off and possibly another pair. I was going to use peaches.

These guys were recomended to me by a member here. They seem very legit and the communication has been great.

I've dealt with Mark @ Peaches many times. He is most definitely legit, and in my opinion, the best at glove repalming. You need not worry when sending him anything.

cut off the bicep protection and spinal protection on my jofa 9400 shouldys

took off the zippers in my ccm v10 pants, i like to take off the pieces that would allow me to move better without them.

what about getting a used c/a from play it again. remove the extra paddind on the front and arms and then cut the base pad to fit your back. damn i had a vaugnh chest pad without any thing on it and threw it away thinking i woud never use it.

This was actually my next thought. It'd take some skill to sew it closed seeing as how I know nothing about sewing.

Anybody having an issue with the tailbone padding shifting up when you go over the boards? I have to wait for a free moment during the shift to put my hand down the back of my pants and straighten it back out. I'm thinking about sewing some sort of elastic in there to keep it down.

They are Bauer X60 pants. A guy on my team says his Tacklas do it a lot too.

Yeah, before in my tacklas i had that happen abit too. Doesnt seem to be a problem now with my Warrior Hustlers