Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

I was getting alot of bruises on my hips from being slashed and hit. So i added a little padding to my NBH Vapor XXXX girdle, i found some old TPS contour shoulder pads and took of the shoulder caps. I added them just below the belt of the girdle and shaved some of the caps off so it didnt get in the way when i sit or skate, it worked pretty good as some added protection. Tried it out last night for the first time and worked nicely.

Other modifications i had done were: straps on my new RBK 7k elbows were longer on one arm then the other so i had them taken in. I also had my Jofa 9060 shin pads fixed up, the knee caps came off and some other stitching was fixed.

Don't know if this is the right thread to post in.

I want to learn how to sew as I want to do some modifications on my pants for added protection and minor repairs. I figure it would be worth my while as I can do it to my exact specifications.

What are some sewing machines you guys would recommend?

Are there websites that show you how to sew hockey stuff?

Thanks!

Don't know if this is the right thread to post in.

I want to learn how to sew as I want to do some modifications on my pants for added protection and minor repairs. I figure it would be worth my while as I can do it to my exact specifications.

What are some sewing machines you guys would recommend?

Are there websites that show you how to sew hockey stuff?

Thanks!

You're not going to be doing hockey equipment modifications with a tabletop sewing machine, you'll need an industrial one. Much more pricey. The other alterintive is to sew by hand, which is pretty cheap. Pick up an awl sewing kit and read the instructions, that should be enough.

But a good way to have stuff modified is to take it to your local shoe repair guy and have him work with it. They have all the equipment so you don't have to.

Popped off my shoulder caps on my RBK 5K shoulders, popped out ear protection on CCM V10 helmet and removed flaps on bottom of gloves for better flexibility.

I would like to add some back protection.

The best thing I added for back protection was a padded shirt. It looks and feels like I'm wearing nothing but I'm more protected than any other shoulder pad I've used.

I did a little cuff shortening on a cheapy pair of WinnWell gloves I have. I didn't like the huge cuff, so I trimmed it down a solid inch to inch and a half. For basically my first time sewing, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I also got rid of the little pad that says "XR55" between the cuffs. It's a little ragged at the end because I had a little slip-up with the seam ripper. Just have to finish the right glove now. Feels way more comfortable, now they just need to be broken in more.

FILE0381.jpg

This is the modification i did to my vapor xxxx girdle as i mentioned before.

http://img29.imageshack.us/slideshow/webpl...picture384o.jpg

This is my new Rbk 7k elbow pads. I had a modification done on them and the forearm gaurd was trimmed down to the velcro.

http://img163.imageshack.us/slideshow/webp...picture389r.jpg

Edited by heatley15

Finally getting around to posting the mod job my extremely talented wife did on my 9k shoulder pads.

I was tired of looking like Junior Seau while tooling around in pickup, but I wanted to have something to protect my squishy innards. I didn't want to completely hack the shoulder caps off because the mens league here is pretty rough at times.

P1180001.JPG

Pretty standard-looking 9Ks. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

P1180002.JPG

Until you lift the shoulder caps to notice the velcro tabs and D-rings she sewed in.

P1180004.JPG

P1180003.JPG

So now I can wear these things without fear of the random puck or stick to the chest/tum-tum and the comfort and style of not lugging around a couple of army helmets on my shoulders!

kept getting smoked on the inside of my thighs with pucks and shit (not often, but when i do it's been bad)... i took some soft mousepads, stitched them together, and stitched them to the inside of the thigh protectors. gives me at least some protection, and i dont notice any impairment in skating.

When I was a kid, many years ago and long before anyone was making jocks built into shorts with velcro to hold your socks up...my mom would sew my socks to a pair of gym shorts so that I didnt have to deal with a garter and could just pull them on like sweat pants or something.

It would probably be better if you did that to an aviator style visor so you would only have to do the sides.

I thought of that...but, I also thought I wanted a cut that would offer a little more airflow. And, it's MSH...Aviators are common...this would be unique :)

I don't have a Dremel. Hoping my buddy got the text I sent him and brings his tomorrow.

I think I'm going to try to cut down an Oakley straight...thoughts on how this will look?

DSCF1386.jpg

DSCF1387.jpg

put masking tape on the visor first and draw the cut line on the masking tape. helps reduce the heat from the dremel, and burning on the visor

After some inspiration of "stuie7" and "IniNew" using the Rit Dye to tint their visors (pg15 they have pix), I was able to do so on mine.

SInce the bauer/itech X100 or replacement shields dont have a tinted option I ended up dying a several of them at home. Worked out perfectly. A couple being different shades of black and another couple being different shades of royal blue.

Do the sides first... After doing the sides I doubt you'll want to do the front.

So, I have the rough cut done...it looks pretty good. Straight and clean (for the most part). I can't decide what the best tool is for cleaning up/smoothing the rough edges. I've got lots of grinding/polishing stone, but not many tools labelled for use on plastic.

I figured out which attachment to use on plastic. Turned out pretty good.

DSCF1389.jpg

DSCF1390.jpg

I'd show you a pic of it mounted...but one of the backing nuts on my helemt is rusted so bad...I can't get the old visor off. :facepalm:

westcoast: This isn't a lifelong ambition or anything to dremel a visor...LOL, I just got bored and had an extra visor I could mess around with.

Seems like you might want to round that off a little more. Even with it made smooth that's a pretty decent edge that could end up messing your cheek up after a collision.

Seems like you might want to round that off a little more. Even with it made smooth that's a pretty decent edge that could end up messing your cheek up after a collision.

It looks a lot sharper than it is...but yeah...I probably should