Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

alright i have a really special piece of equipment to show today i scored these this weekend

DSC02340%20(Medium).JPG

DSC02342%20(Medium).JPG

as you can see alot of work to be done.

in the inside of the left glove he had some gel pads and also the last two fingers are sewn together and since they removed all the side stitches to make space they put a velcro to tight it up once it was on his hand. Also they removed the liner in them for more space aswell but it doesnt change the feeling at all from other Mia gloves i used.

there going for repairs prolly this week.

Pics? What did you use to take them off, just a seam ripper? I'm contemplating doing the same with my Easton's, just not sure if I want since I won't really have a way to reattach them.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. I just used a scissors to cut the thread once then just pulled it out from there. I made sure to keep the entire piece of thread so if I later want to re-attach them I don't have to mess around with finding the right thread.

i made a pair of slash guards for my bauer xvi elbow pads. I took the bicep guards off of some old junior elbows, took the velcro straps from the forearm peice and stitched them to the bicep peice, sewed and glued a velcro chunk inside the elbow and voila... an extended forearm cuff.

i will try to get around to takin some pictures

I've had my Brown 2000 C/A for a while now, and the arms just don't sit right. In addition to being too short and exposing too much forearm (see my next mod), the elbow cups are too far down the arm for me. So I decided to attach some new tabs through which I can run the velcro straps through. Here is a step by step:

Before:

hpim0286w.jpg

How it looks with the elbow cup removed:

hpim0287.jpg

I sewed in two tabs by hand further up each arm. This allows me to place the elbow higher up on the arm. Got the tabs from an old pair of thigh boards I don't use anymore. Left the old tabs there in case I decide to move them back to the original position.

hpim0288.jpg

After (everything put back in):

hpim0289f.jpg

hpim0294a.jpg

After doing this, I am able to wear the arm straps looser without the whole thing sliding down and out of place. Before I had to yank those straps real tight to get it to stay on my elbow, restricting mobility. The C/A fits much better now.

Next up, adding wrist protection with Frankensteined elbow pads...

Edited by DCott

As stated before, I am a little apprehensive about the amount of exposed forearm left by my C/A. I haven't been hit there **yet** but I let my brother borrow the C/A and he got hhit in the arm his second time using this C/A. So I decided to try and add some forearm/wrist protection.

First, I had some old Louisville Flexor elbow pads lying around that I don't use. Here is what they looked like before I went to town on them:

flexor.jpg

I took the bicep part off the pad, removed one of the plastic parts, cut off some unneeded foam, and put adhesive velcro on both sides.

hpim0298k.jpg

hpim0297.jpg

Since I don't use that velcro strap at the wrist part of the C/A (it sits too high on the arm), I decided to stick this new pad in between the velcro and the unused strap of the C/A, which is flipped over instead of wrapped around the arm.

hpim0299q.jpg

The finished product:

hpim0300.jpg

This mod gives me 3-4" of extra coverage, it should protect me from slashes, but will probably be just mediocre for direct shots. There is already a velcro strap on the pad, so it wraps around nicely, and isn't very bulky, so I don't see it interfering with the gloves too much. I'll have to try them once or twice before I decide if I'll ditch them (This is why I velcroed them instead of sewing).

hpim0295.jpg

Edited by DCott

My skate tongues are starting to look like something out of a slasher movie now. I've had cuts on either side to help with the flop for a while now but I recently cut a large section of felt from the lower portion of the tongue as well. To cut a long story short, once my skates start breaking down I start to get pains in the inside of my right ankle due to the positioning of the ball of my ankle.

After this happening to me in my last 3 pairs of skates I decided to take a knife to my current skates to see if I could find a solution as I am replacing my skates within the next few weeks.

tongue_mod.jpg

The pain has gone ^_^

My skate tongues are starting to look like something out of a slasher movie now. I've had cuts on either side to help with the flop for a while now but I recently cut a large section of felt from the lower portion of the tongue as well. To cut a long story short, once my skates start breaking down I start to get pains in the inside of my right ankle due to the positioning of the ball of my ankle.

After this happening to me in my last 3 pairs of skates I decided to take a knife to my current skates to see if I could find a solution as I am replacing my skates within the next few weeks.

The pain has gone ^_^

i'm actually having the same type of problem on the inside front part of my left ankle on my s12's. hurts like a mother. instead of taking the entire piece of felt out like you did, i decided to take an exacto knife to that same part of the tongue and just sort of trim some of the thickness off. i was worried about taking the whole piece out like you did in fear that it may increase the volume a bit too much in that part of the skate. it's a bit better now, but still getting some pain there. might have to take that part out entirely like you did though.

Another one for cutting the thumbs of my gloves "loose". It cost me an injury once in juniors, but can't get used to using them the other way. Now that I'm old, fat and playing only beer league, I'm using pretty much only the bottom half of an old pair of pants. Just unbuttoned the top half and threw it out. (I have a pair of "safe" pants, if I need them). I also ripped the legs for more mobility. There are the old blue ones with stars and red/white stripes on the sides. Those pants are probably the ugliest piece of equipment within 100 miles, but they're comfy!

The pain has gone ^_^

i'm actually having the same type of problem on the inside front part of my left ankle on my s12's. hurts like a mother. instead of taking the entire piece of felt out like you did, i decided to take an exacto knife to that same part of the tongue and just sort of trim some of the thickness off. i was worried about taking the whole piece out like you did in fear that it may increase the volume a bit too much in that part of the skate. it's a bit better now, but still getting some pain there. might have to take that part out entirely like you did though.

I'm having the exact same problem with my one95's, just on the outside of my right ankle! It's unbelievably painful and I usually have to throw a piece of foam under the tongue to help. Anyone else have any other problem similar to this that they were able to fix? there isn't much tongue on the one95 as it is...

The pain has gone ^_^

I'm having the exact same problem with my one95's, just on the outside of my right ankle! It's unbelievably painful and I usually have to throw a piece of foam under the tongue to help. Anyone else have any other problem similar to this that they were able to fix? there isn't much tongue on the one95 as it is...

If the one95s have the molded piece of plastic foam inside the tongue, perhaps the molded piece has creased or is breaking down.

I've shortened my Mission C4 knee pads, no recent pics. I've customized by 8K though, plus spraying my 9K0:

AK27, U+, XXX Lite missing.

61242161.th.jpg

Back-up.

32164536.th.jpg

Changed color setup since picture.

23249145.th.jpg

Edited by G0NUCKSG0

Just like the "Show it off" topic, except show the modifications you've made to your equipment. Be it extra padding or adding color to gloves, it'd be kind of fun to see what everyone does with their equipment to make life easier/safer when playing hockey, pics definetly welcome

Cool thread. I spray painted my One90 skates white. I liked the Lemtyugov look, as he did the same to his Grafs a few years back. I'll try to upload photos in the show it off thread later

I just got done removing about 2" of binding from each finger of my L7 gloves. It was a simple little mod that took about 15 minutes but it has made a world of difference in the comfort. No more irritating seams on my fingers. :)

IMG_0090.jpg

Vapors are the only skates that really fit my feet, soooo.

IMG_0088.jpg

Removed a little bit of padding that was irritating me. The gloves are nice and roomy now too. They're Reebok pro stock 9k's.

IMG_0087.jpg

Not really a mod, but I covered the silver parts on my 8K with electrical tape. It matches my team's jerseys better now.

Edited by Officer Dangle

Ok so my trusty Jofa 5044 elbows were getting rather stinky, despite a de-stinkifying effort gone mostly successful, I decided to replace them. I had an issue with them as the straps are fully nylon and a size to small so it would leave bruises on my arms for a couple days after playing.

Jofa 5044:

5044.jpg

The best replacement I could find was the Jofa 5066, with extended slash protection and the newer strapping setup:

Jofa5066.jpg

Yeah, disgustingly long. Had to fix that. Pretty easy and very successful surgery:

IMG_2805.jpg

...And the comparison between the 5044 and the 5066:

Comparison.jpg

Skates: Always replace the original laces with waxed laces. Hold tighter and stay that way.

Shin Pads: I cut off and remove the manufacterers installed straps because I hate the way their positoned on the shin pad. Use my velcro elastics and position them where I like them on my leg.

Helmet: Always remove those clear plastic ear covers, can't stand them.

Shoulder Pads: Ive added more rib protection and extended abdomen protection onto my 8Ks at the front with PU plastic plates and foam pads. Works great but looks a bit freaky as far as my teamates are concerned but I don't really care ,their functional.

Just recently replaced the Cobra holders on my Graf 735's with the Mission Pitch 3 holder and blade. (while the Pitch 3 is still available) Love the neutral setting as opposed to the forward one. On ice feel is roughly the same as the Cobras.

Edited by duch

Hey guys, noob here Big DIY guy in general.

Usually I sew all the sleeves on my jerseys so they end at my elbow, instead of having to roll them up.

Recently sewed in some new mesh gussets on my old x50's, but ther mesh doesn't seem to be holding up very well. I'll see if i can get some pics.

Lastly i modified my shin guards so i could get some airflow. Will search for pics, look forward to posting here now that I'm back in the game.

Found them quicker than I expected. So I recently started playing again after about 5 years off. My legs always steam after i get off the ice and I was in the market for new shin guards with some type of breathing ability. Little did I know RBK acquired Jofa. So I was browsing online and saw some RBK shin guards and though "those look just like mine."

rbk4k.jpg

So I took a Razor Blade, drill with Unibit, and a Dremel.

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

Saved myself 40-50 bucks. I know they are weaker, but I don't really block shots anymore.

Hey guys, noob here Big DIY guy in general.

Usually I sew all the sleeves on my jerseys so they end at my elbow, instead of having to roll them up.

If you play under USA Hockey rules, your elbow pads must be under your jersey. No pads can be exposed.

Cut a Dr Scholls gel foot insole in half. Glued one side of velcro to the insole and stuck them inside my felt tounge to prevent lace bite. Works perfect and they stick on the skate. I need to post some pics.

Can you post pictures of this. I am having some serious lace bite and this could be a great solution.