Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

Cut off the padding on the top of my shinguards. They usually end up sticking out of the top of my socks and I hate this, so they're gone.

Replaced the terrible original runners on my Tacks with Pro E's.

Don't like helmet ear pieces, so those are out.

Maybe I have a weirdly shaped head, but helmet padding never really feels comfortable around certain parts of my cranium, so I usually shave out some of the foam accordingly.

It's not really a mod, but I frequently switch back and forth between cage and visor depending on mood and current facial injury state.

Cut off the padding on the top of my shinguards. They usually end up sticking out of the top of my socks and I hate this, so they're gone.

Maybe I have a weirdly shaped head, but helmet padding never really feels comfortable around certain parts of my cranium, so I usually shave out some of the foam accordingly.

It's not really a mod, but I frequently switch back and forth between cage and visor depending on mood and current facial injury state.

Huh? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My hockey socks go about halfway up my thigh, and my shinguards are certainly much shorter than that.

And for those curious, today I bought some industrial strength velcro and some of the E-6000 glue that was recommended - gonna try that out after hockey tomorrow morning.

Huh? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My hockey socks go about halfway up my thigh, and my shinguards are certainly much shorter than that.

And for those curious, today I bought some industrial strength velcro and some of the E-6000 glue that was recommended - gonna try that out after hockey tomorrow morning.

Both seems like overkill.

Added some extra slash guard to my JR sized elbow pads (tight fitting and never slip) using pieces of an old JR shoulder pad I had in the basement. Couple precise cuts and stitching with hockey laces and they're great! Semi-floating wrist guards with plastic inserts! Haha.

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

Not a very extensive mod, but a mod nontheless. I noticed today when I was browsing through gear that some of the higher end shoulder pads have a removeable back pad extension along with the front ab extension. Well, I had an extra ab extension from an older pair of shoulder pads, so I stuck some velcro on the inside of my ST4 shoulder pads and voila, removeable back pad extension. When I have my pants on, it tucks underneath the back protection of my pants. When I lean forward like I was skating, it covers the exposed part of my back. Maybe a bit overkill, but I was bored.

FILE0256.jpg

^^ That's nice. I was going for protecting the same area but went the other ruote, bottom up. I added a spine protector to my girdle to protect that area, when I'm standing stright it overlaps the soft foam of my shoulder pads but when bent over it covers the exposed area. I tried it out last week and it worked but I need to modify it a little more b/c it's a little too big. It was tough since the girdle doesn't give me much to work with (especially since I wear it with the top thin foam folded down onto the kidney guards), I think I may have to trim some off the top of the spine protector and then give it another go (but then again I may be buying a new girdle this week or next so who knows).

Yeah well that was the nice part about attaching it to the shoulder pads instead of the pants. My pants already have pretty high spine cover. When I'm standing straight my pants touch the bottom of my shoulders. But this way if I'm rotating my upper body, hopefully the little pad stays over the exposed area. I'll have to see how it works tonight. I was afraid the front ab protector would bother me when I put it on, but when I'm skating I don't even notice it's there. I normally tuck my jersey into the back of my pants so I dono if it will get caught up in anything or not.

i play in beer league, so most of my modifications consist of removing padding, not adding.

skates - different holder fitments many times, must have the "right" laces and insole too.

shinguards - removed some excess material

socks - remove elastic bands at bottom, stretch to make longer

girdle - removed a lot of excess padding and unnecissary 2nd belt

shell - feed skate lace through seam to replace annoying belt, cut inside bottom of legs for

better motion. also had the GF hem the butt area, which was too baggy for me.

shoulder pads - removed everything except for chest piece (now it's just a chest protector)

elbow pads - removed some excess material

helmet - remove earpieces and unused hardware

jersey - cuffs sewn to proper size to pull up and stay around cuff of elbow pad

gloves - UNMODIFIED!!! (mesh gussetts on the way this off-season)

i also remove tags from everything to prevent chafing. my bag is wicked light. :P

Edited by s4gobabygo

The only piece of equipment that I have with a mod that I can think of is a pair of Dallas Stars gloves I bought off Drewhunz. I forget who they belonged to but he cut the piece connecting the thumb to the glove on the left glove. On the Right glove there is an extra piece of palm on the side to make the inside of the glove more roomy. I'm assuming it is for stickhandling as the player who had it done was a righty and I'm a lefty. Nonetheless I like the gloves and I'll try and get pictures up if anyone is interested.

Both seems like overkill.

Probably is, but the only velcro the store had in the size I wanted was the industrial strength stuff (with adhesive backing). But it said the adhesive didn't stick to fabric, so I used the glue too.

I've been out on the ice once since I added the extra velcro and it worked great - no signs whatsoever of the velcro pulling off, and my jersey is no longer sticking to my elbow pads.

I have the same pads and the same problem. Tried making them snugger by drinking more beer but I will likely try your approach.

I have a pair of sherwood PMP X8 elbow pads. now that they're nicely broken in, I like the pad, but the bottom strap is not elastic, and is too short, so half the velcro is sitting against my arm, and scratches it up as I move. is it possible for the strap to be removed and replaced with a longer one? any other suggestions?

I have a pair of sherwood PMP X8 elbow pads. now that they're nicely broken in, I like the pad, but the bottom strap is not elastic, and is too short, so half the velcro is sitting against my arm, and scratches it up as I move. is it possible for the strap to be removed and replaced with a longer one? any other suggestions?

Cut the strap in 2 and stitch in a short chunk of heavy fabric or elastic.

As a quick fix take a chunk of an old sock or terry cloth fabric and stick it on the velcro.

Cut the strap in 2 and stitch in a short chunk of heavy fabric or elastic.

As a quick fix take a chunk of an old sock or terry cloth fabric and stick it on the velcro.

good advice, thanks. However I think I've stumbled on a great idea, I'll be sure to post pictures once I give it a shot.

back when i had the old leather goalie pads, i patched the bottom of them up with leather scraps, buttonhole thread and a curved needle. they leaked deer hair less after that.

have added a section of padding to my shoulder pads. the padding has velcro and i sewed the opposite velcro onto the bottom section of the shoulder pads (to go over my ever expanding gut). have replaced elastic and velcro on the shoulder pads and my elbow pads (machine sewed where i could and hand sewed where i couldn't).

on one set of gloves, have completely repalmed the one glove (by taking the palm off a glove that was never claimed and sewing it my one glove)

on another set of gloves, i just replaced the second layer of leather in the palm area with some scrap leather.

have expanded jerseys to make them goalie size, and have made other jerseys larger.

have made my own crests and numbers and have sewn them on jerseys. have changed the colour of striping on a jersey to make it look like the original canucks jersey and made the original canucks patch.

used metal straping material (usually used for holding up pipes) for a helmet clip, because regular clips are up too high for my helmet (jofa 390 helmet with cooper GL100L goalie cage). cut and filed straping material; spray painted it; folded it over with pliers; put helmet screw through the bottom hole and finished bending material in a 'U' shape.

Years ago when I got my Louisville TPS gloves I took that yellow "Air" padding Easton used to put in their gloves and velcro'd them into the my Louisvilles. Now that I just started playing again I am glad that I took good care of those gloves.

I just found an old bauer shell that had the extra waist/kidney padding at the top. I removed that and stitched it up with a drawstring closure. I also sewed some zippers into the legs. I have old CCM Supra shin guards that are like tanks and my shells always bunch up, so I figured leg zippers might help that out.

I also just took and old Itech Concept II full shield and dremel'd the bottom portion off. I believe someone else posted that they did this as well. I am trying to think of how to screw it to my Mission Intake though because as you know the top screws with allow it to flip up. I think I'll need to dremel some holes into the side of the shield. Have any of you done this or have ideas?

Nothing to special over here,

Removed, swapped, straightened and dyed some holders on my skates.

Made some road hockey blades out of broken wooden sticks i had laying around the house

Cleaned out the hosel in a lot of OPS', and also made some tapered blades with the ones that broke in half.

Removed the adjustment flaps on the NBH 5500 helmet to replace them with screws.

Removed ear pieces on some of my helmets.

I use an Itech DX100 visor and found it to look to wide on my face with my 8K helmet, simply took out those plastic pieces that bolt on the side of the helmet and just drilled out a hole on each side and i know this may seem like nothing but you lose 3/16" on each side which made a difference.

Replaced a few sets of tongues on my skates.

Curved some blades and also repaired them with some epoxy, glue etc.

Converted some skates to roller blades, and drilled out some vent holes on the bottom of my skates

Removed the bicep protectors on the shoulder pads, and the slash guards on my elbow pads

Made some wooden plugs for my sticks and i also made some that i used to put a broken OPS back together, so id be able to use them for road hockey, lasted a lot longer then most of you would think.

Sewed 1/4" off the top of my Jock Plus neck guard, it was made for someone who had a 3 foot neck, literally :P

And i think that's about it for me haha

Edited by top

Just blacked out my 9500 cage, I figure if I'm gonna have to wear a full cage, I'm not gonna be that guy with the chrome cage.

("that dude" with the chrome cage is now "that dude" with the mirrored visor for all the youngin's out there btw)

Just blacked out my 9500 cage, I figure if I'm gonna have to wear a full cage, I'm not gonna be that guy with the chrome cage.

("that dude" with the chrome cage is now "that dude" with the mirrored visor for all the youngin's out there btw)

Yeah, but no. Chrome cages are supposed to minimize visual interference, Chrome visors are made to make the user look stupid. Big dif. I would never equate a chrome cage with a mirrored visor.

Yeah, but no. Chrome cages are supposed to minimize visual interference, Chrome visors are made to make the user look stupid. Big dif. I would never equate a chrome cage with a mirrored visor.

And I completely disagree.

:shrug:

have to agree. I really don't even notice guys with chrome cages. Doesn't stand out or beg for attention really at all.