Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

khockey#3

what cut do you like on your skates

I don't know how my bro does but he uses 7/8'' for about 4 months at 175 lbs and he doesnt find it slippery, he even want to try 1'' next time we get them sharpened.

I've gone with 7/8" on my last couple skating sessions and it feels pretty good. I weigh a tad more than your bro. I think this is where I will level off. We'll see how the next couple games go.

Hell he has 7/8'' and he tried it on one of the hardest ice I've ever played on(bonaventure for the MTL guys) and he said it was perfect.

kovy forgot to mention his bro wears nike zoom airs, which weigh a metric ton

You let him wear those Kovy? Come on, get the kid some new skates.

mine was at a 5/16 but its slightly shallower now

You better not weigh more than 75 pounds

im so used to it i cant change, im 5'9" 168 and defense, i would like to change cause it will probley make me faster but whenever i have like a 1/2 i cant go hard in the turns at all.

You have to change is slow increments. Have your sharpener shallow it just 1/32 then try that for a few weeks. Then 1/32nd more. No more than 1/32 at a time.

Soon you'll be on 3/4 and be fast yet still turn on a dime!

im proud to say that im down to an 11/16, took half the season and 1/32 each time but it worked good, i could go farther too.

Screw the 1/32nd at a time idea.. I went straight from 1/2 to 3/4 without any real problem. Skate sharpenings are expensive! (Unless you're doing your own :D )

I use a 1/2, though I am one of those freaks that will drive 20 minutes to get their skates sharpened.

I get them sharpened every two times on the ice, no matter what.

Unless you're a real lightweight, I think that you can jump to 3/4 from anywhere above a 3/8 without much problem.

a jump from 3/8 or 1/2 to 3/4 would be a disaster. You have to slowly shallow out your cut as your skill progresses. Also the softer the ice the shallower your cut can be.

Unless you're a real lightweight, I think that you can jump to 3/4 from anywhere above a 3/8 without much problem.

a jump from 3/8 or 1/2 to 3/4 would be a disaster. You have to slowly shallow out your cut as your skill progresses. Also the softer the ice the shallower your cut can be.

I went from 1/2 to 3/4 with no problem. 3/8 I agree is a big diff..

quick question: ive been using the standard 1/2 but too much bite what are the next 2 hollows down(shollower) so i can experiment with the 2

thanks

You can go in increments of 1/32" without feeling a thing. Good luck finding a shop that can adjust accurately by this amount though.

Most skaters should be able to adjust by 1/16" at a time. It is enough to cause you to feel awkward at first, but at the same time not so much that it still allows you to adapt within a half hour or so of skating.

From 1/2" going shallower by 1/32":

16/32" = 1/2"

17/32"

18/32" = 9/16"

19/32"

20/32" = 5/8"

My shop's "house" setting is 3/8". IMO thats too sharp but the majority of people don't know they can change their radius. I think they just take the sharpening I give them. I do my own at 1/2"-5/8" depending where I'm going to play at next.

I played my first game last night with 3/4 cut and I was outskating everyone to the puck and catching up with the play when it went back towards my zone when I used to not be able to.... I feel evil I had so much speed. I even told the guys on the bench about my new cut and they all just laughed about a 3/4 cut (except one guy). I guess they don't want to believe it. Now to toy with going even higher! :ph34r:

I played my first game last night with 3/4 cut and I was outskating everyone to the puck and catching up with the play when it went back towards my zone when I used to not be able to.... I feel evil I had so much speed. I even told the guys on the bench about my new cut and they all just laughed about a 3/4 cut (except one guy). I guess they don't want to believe it. Now to toy with going even higher! :rolleyes:

Another guy sees the light!

When I was growing up (mid '70s), all the players in my area used 24mm (almost 1").