Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Had a 13 year old come into the shop today. Grabbed an S19, leaned into it on the rubber mat and snapped it. Told the kid he had to pay for it to which he said he didn't have any money. Told him to get his parents and they needed to pay for it. Parents come in and refuce to pay due to the fact that the stick is "faulty". I told them to read the sign and called the police. Police came in, told the parents they had to pay for the damaged merchandise. What card did they use to pay???? AmEx Centurion AKA the Black Card. They paid and said they would submit the stick to Easton, to which I replied good luck. I wrote "Warranty void: stick abuse" on the blade in silver sharpie which they noticed. What they didn't notice was the warranty stickers thet were removed while they were arguing with the officer. Moral of the story: Don't lean into a stick Junior, and if you do- your parents need to eat some crow as they pay for a stick with a credit card with an unlimited credit limit. Oh, and don't piss off the person who sharpens your skates.

Had a 13 year old come into the shop today. Grabbed an S19, leaned into it on the rubber mat and snapped it. Told the kid he had to pay for it to which he said he didn't have any money. Told him to get his parents and they needed to pay for it. Parents come in and refuce to pay due to the fact that the stick is "faulty". I told them to read the sign and called the police. Police came in, told the parents they had to pay for the damaged merchandise. What card did they use to pay???? AmEx Centurion AKA the Black Card. They paid and said they would submit the stick to Easton, to which I replied good luck. I wrote "Warranty void: stick abuse" on the blade in silver sharpie which they noticed. What they didn't notice was the warranty stickers thet were removed while they were arguing with the officer. Moral of the story: Don't lean into a stick Junior, and if you do- your parents need to eat some crow as they pay for a stick with a credit card with an unlimited credit limit. Oh, and don't piss off the person who sharpens your skates.

not only that but a 250k minimum annual expense on that card

not only that but a 250k minimum annual expense on that card

it's always funny when somebody haggles over the price of something like tape and pulls out a Black Card.

Ive seen this before.

Ive also witnessed when it was used in trying out skates for a gentlemans son. 6 or 7 pairs later he found something he liked, dont know where the rest of the skates went.

My only experience with the card is my buddy who insists he pays all league, tournament fees, and for sticks just so he can keep the card. I dont complain.

Edited by DavidT

What's more fun is pulling out mine. (Thanks sis for adding me as a user even though I'm afraid to use it)

ohhh snap!

I know a guy who found one and just keeps it in his wallet to impress women. lol....some guys have issues.

I know a guy who found one and just keeps it in his wallet to impress women. lol....some guys have issues.

Chicks will fall in love with his potential $3.5mil life insurance policy. :lol:

Yeah, it's a "secret" card for AmEx for their best (highest spending) customers that comes with all sorts of perks. Google "American Express Centurion Card" and you will get a ton of websites that go over it.

Yeah, it's a "secret" card for AmEx for their best (highest spending) customers that comes with all sorts of perks. Google "American Express Centurion Card" and you will get a ton of websites that go over it.

I think this image explains it all.

AMEX will pick up the warranty on it. It isn't for you to decide that the warranty is void and you open your employer up for a charge back by doing what you did.

Good call. It's been a while since Ive read some of the benefits, but doesnt everything purchased automatically come with an extended 3 yr warranty?

Had a 13 year old come into the shop today. Grabbed an S19, leaned into it on the rubber mat and snapped it. Told the kid he had to pay for it to which he said he didn't have any money. Told him to get his parents and they needed to pay for it. Parents come in and refuce to pay due to the fact that the stick is "faulty". I told them to read the sign and called the police. Police came in, told the parents they had to pay for the damaged merchandise. What card did they use to pay???? AmEx Centurion AKA the Black Card. They paid and said they would submit the stick to Easton, to which I replied good luck. I wrote "Warranty void: stick abuse" on the blade in silver sharpie which they noticed. What they didn't notice was the warranty stickers thet were removed while they were arguing with the officer.

If I were the parents, I sure as hell wouldn't have paid for the stick - broken or not - once you wrote on it. And if I discovered you had removed the warranty stickers later, I would begin chargeback procedures with my credit card company. You're within your rights to make me pay for breaking the stick, but you're not within your rights to deface it.

They can get it. It's attached to the police report. The next time you complain about the price of sticks, let this be a reason why. The stick broke due to abuse. Had it broke on the ice the first time they used it, that's one thing. To break a stick on a rubber mat by trying to flex the hell out of it is something entirely different especially when you start walking away from it.

Whle I don't disagree that it is in some ways abuse, it still isn't excuse you from trying to make a decision that isn't yours with regards to the warranty. That is Easton's job.

Furthermore, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a law that requires patrons to pay for products that they break.

It would probably fall into some sort of vandalism/destruction of property law. Either pay for the item or have criminal charges brought up is usually the way it works out.

Whle I don't disagree that it is in some ways abuse, it still isn't excuse you from trying to make a decision that isn't yours with regards to the warranty. That is Easton's job.

Furthermore, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a law that requires patrons to pay for products that they break.

It would probably fall into some sort of vandalism/destruction of property law. Either pay for the item or have criminal charges brought up is usually the way it works out.

Ding ding ding. Destruction of property it is.

No problem with that; sounds fair. Still doesn't negate crossing the line and trying to play God with regards to the warranty.

I think it was kind of shoddy, doesnt help the situation any. But it's not my prerogative.

My buddy was flexing a stick in the LHS and broke it. Not an S19, but just some 30 dollar wood stick. Made the loudest sound ever. Employee came over and my buddy said ''I'll pay for it

''. Employee said don't worry about it. My buddy did end up buying another stick after he broke that one, but it was still awesome he didn't make him pay for it.

IF i broke a stick in a store (which i wouldnt) they would right void on it and i wouldnt be able to get a new one off warranty?

The warranty would not be valid, it only covers routine use on ice. It depends on the employee, if they want to be an ass I would think they're within their rights to notify the company that the stick was broken in shop. They could let you just buy it and lie to the company. But a stick broken in the store is not supposed to be eligible for warranty.

I think it was right to right void for it but I probably would have just done it on the receipt. Once they buy the stick it is theirs so they may have wanted to hang it on the wall or something but now they cant because it has crap written on it.

Also Easton probably would not have honored the warranty without the receipt and when the received the stick they probably would have noticed that their was no wear on the blade.

I think it was right to right void for it but I probably would have just done it on the receipt. Once they buy the stick it is theirs so they may have wanted to hang it on the wall or something but now they cant because it has crap written on it.

Also Easton probably would not have honored the warranty without the receipt and when the received the stick they probably would have noticed that their was no wear on the blade.

Ultimately it is up to easton to decide if they will replace the stick. There is nothing wrong with letting them know how the stick was broken though.

Goof Off takes it right off.

They will honor a credit card statement if you accidentally "lost" the receipt. It isn't fair to others when someone takes advantage if the system though.

They will honor a credit card statement if you accidentally "lost" the receipt. It isn't fair to others when someone takes advantage if the system though.

I completely understand why you were pissed, and think you did the right thing by demanding they pay for the stick and by calling the police when they refused. However, I have to agree that the warranty itself is between the consumer and Easton.

Stick warranties are very specific that they only apply to manufacturers defects and not to breakage from abuse or normal use (which is why they contain wording about hockey being a contact sport). However, I would guesstimate the vast majority of stick warranty claims involve cases where the user was negligent or the stick failed as a result of normal use during a game, and not due to any manufacturing defect. The company decides from a customer service standpoint how to handle warranty issues... It'd be nice if everyone followed a strong code of ethics, but that's not the case... thus companies have already included the cost of their warranty policy in the price of their sticks. Policing the ethics of individual customers is not going to change the cost these companies build into their products.

Also, don't the sticks have a number on the warranty label specific to that individual stick? Couldn't you have just written down that number, and notified Easton of the situation. I would bet that is how Easton would like you to handle those situations.