Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

NYR: seriously? I would probably have a pretty good chuckle out of that!

Although from reading through this thread, I guess we shouldn't be surprised at anything anymore. Just when you think you've heard/see it all......

Ok moments ago, a guy comes into the shop. He said he bought skates here with his son but now he cannot find the old skates that he thinks were with him when they bought the new ones. I asked how long ago was the purchase. He said about 3 weeks. I asked what brand. He said CCM. we had just recently cleaned up the service room of old skates never picked up. I don't see any CCMs but go back out to ask him another question. As he walks away from me, he is holding a black Bauer T-shirt just off our rack. The guy is fairly well dressed, $800 designer frame glasses as well. As I walk the last 10' to talk to him, I'm looking for the shirt in his hands. I meet up with him, no shirt in hand! I look at his jacket and see a bulge. I just flat out call him out "Where's the black T-shirt?" looking at his jacket. He opens it up and there it is. "Give me the shirt and get out of here." He has the balls to say,"What about the skates?" My reply is "Do you want me to call the cops? Get the fuck out of here."

I'm still pissed.

Well if you don't have video cameras it would have been real tempting to beat his ass, call the police and say that you were defending yourself while trying to get your merchandise back. I'm not a violent person but a guy like this needs an ass whoopin'. There is very little worse than a thief.

"Hi do you need help with anything?"

" Yis I need skates. I git discount right?"

"Discount for what? Do you work at the pier?"

"No, no, discount for buying zee skates."

"No, you don't get a discount for buying a pair of skates."

Almost,

"Hi, can I help you?"

"You give me discount, right?"

"Umm, no"

"Why not?"

"Why should I?"

God that was a rough day.

Also got,

"We need a neck guard that is not as thick."

"Oh ok. Here you go."

"This is thinner?"

"Yes....that's why I gave it to you."

Edited by VakarLajos

How about this one..

Customer calls on phone, "My kid made xxx team and needs a RBK helmet, do you have one?

Store: "yes we do"

Customer: "Can you hold it for me?"

Store: "Sure"

Next Day..

Same Customer: " I bought a RBK helmet online and it's the wrong size, can I swap it for the one you are holding for me?"

Store: Nope

For some reason thats a hilarious joke where I work.

Pair of douchebags: "hey, did you get my discount?"

Me: "What?"

DB: "Did you give me a discount"

Me: (knowing that our discounts are on a card that is swiped through the credit card reader): Do you work here?

DB: Laughs histerically, with his buddy, pointing at me and saying "Gotcha" and "Gullible"

I've been there a month and I've had at least 5 people have thought asking for a discount is somehow funny. You'll be surprised to learn that it's not.

Edited by dsjunior1388

"Do you have skating shoes?"

"No we need the padded hockey shorts, not pants"

Can't tell you how many say both of those things. I still am like, wait, what? Takes me a while to realize what they are asking for.

One today was ridiculous, this grandma was buying sexwax for her grandson, who she said is 16. And she made a note of it to tell me multiple times that she'll have to cut out the word sex on the wax, and asked 3 or 4 times if we had any other wax that didn't have sex on it. Seriously? Kid is 16. Pretty sure he knows all about sex by then...

"Do you have skating shoes?"

"No we need the padded hockey shorts, not pants"

Can't tell you how many say both of those things. I still am like, wait, what? Takes me a while to realize what they are asking for.

One today was ridiculous, this grandma was buying sexwax for her grandson, who she said is 16. And she made a note of it to tell me multiple times that she'll have to cut out the word sex on the wax, and asked 3 or 4 times if we had any other wax that didn't have sex on it. Seriously? Kid is 16. Pretty sure he knows all about sex by then...

"I need socks"

"Hockey socks or regular socks?"

"Socks!"

"Ok, we have a display right here."

"Oh no, I need the ones that go over the knee pads"

Just had a guy come in who had previously tried to get me to call Warrior for him because his stick broke and he can't find his receipt and we dont print duplicates. He buys another stick and then tells me not to worry about the receipt because he's in a rush to get to his game......

For some reason thats a hilarious joke where I work.

Pair of douchebags: "hey, did you get my discount?"

Me: "What?"

DB: "Did you give me a discount"

Me: (knowing that our discounts are on a card that is swiped through the credit card reader): Do you work here?

DB: Laughs histerically, with his buddy, pointing at me and saying "Gotcha" and "Gullible"

I've been there a month and I've had at least 5 people have thought asking for a discount is somehow funny. You'll be surprised to learn that it's not.

"Can I get a discount?"

"OK, so you're asking me to risk my job to give you a discount? Ok, so what are you going to do for me?"

Got some holiday gems...

"I need to fit my kid for shoulder pads."

Kid not present.

"While it is hard to fit sight-unseen, if you have an approximate size I can sell you those, and if it is a Christmas present, just keep the receipt and bring them back if they don't fit."

"He's really skinny."

"How skinny?"

Pulls out picture

This one was funny -

Fitting someone for figure skates, and guy walks in and asks to try on a pair of Graf G35s. I'm like "Sit down on the bench here, I can multitask."

Measure him up, he's a 9.

"Funny, my guy had me in an 11. Well, all I wanted to do was try on locally, I'm going up north to get fitted for custom skates."

At this point the people sitting next to me know it's messed up, so I decide to mess with him.

"Oh really, going up north, where at?"

"I'm going to Windsor."

"Really? Going to see Joe at Brians?"

At this point I'm having fun, this guy is shocked

"Wow, yeah...how did you know that?"

"Let me guess, you'll get stock skates, he'll put shims on the inside and put a Superfeet insole in it and charge you $150 more for that and call it a day?"

Guy is squirming at this point.

So I continue...

"What I would do is fit you in a 9, and make sure that I take care of those Haglund's bumps on the back of your feet that you most likely got from wearing skates 2 sizes too big."

He gets up, walks around, then walks out the door.

People on the bench were like "Wow, people really do that?"

That's what I didn't get.

I think he tried to use that excuse to really figure out what he wanted to get, but had an out because he was going to go custom and therefore, didn't need my opinion.

I had one a couple of days ago where some parents came in with their two kids:

Parents: I'm looking for the smallest helmet that you have.

Me: Well, the best option is to go with the youth Bauer helmets that are over here.

Parents: I heard the CCM TH2 is the smallest.

Me: You mean the CCM HT2?

Parents: Yeah, that is the one.

Me: The CCM HT2 will not be smaller than the Bauer/Itech youth helmets and it would be hard to get a hold of a new one if you're not a member of an NHL team.

Parents: Okay, so you don't have any CCM HT2 helmets? I would like to see if it is smaller.

Me: I guarantee that the youth helmets are the way to go.

After 30 or so minutes of looking at helmets...

Parents: So you don't have the CCM HT2 helmet? I want to know for sure if it is smaller.

Me: Double facepalm, and the cycle repeats itself.

On top of that, the parents had their two kids on leashes and eventually left without a helmet.

Heard this today for the first time ever; "Do I get the military discount?" Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything these people do but I had never heard that one ever.

our local store gives a 5% military discount. Many stores in my area give a military discount. There is an air force base just a few miles down the road, which means there are a lot of military in the area.

Heard this today for the first time ever; "Do I get the military discount?" Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything these people do but I had never heard that one ever.

I know a guy that asks for a military discount on everything in every store. He's in the guard and has never left the country, but that doesn't stop him from dropping the "risking my life for you" line any time he gets denied.

It's suprisingly funny to see how people are cheap always asking for discount.

On the other hand when you crack 500USD on a pair of skate or buy a full set of gears, a little something is always appreciated, it doesnt have to be big, a free sharpening, free laces, free roll of tape ... it makes the customer come back.

Best shop was in canada the guy gave me 25% off but I bought almost everything pads/helmet/skates except the stick and I was a complete foreigner... maybe his brand new 911 Porsche parked just in front of the shop helped ! :D B)

Discount wise, it's always nice to get one but you gotta choose what you're asking discounts on. If everyone's selling the X:60 at 600 bucks, you ain't getting a discount anywhere and the price is more than likely set by Bauer anyway. Asking a discount on something that's already on sale is not a good idea either IMO. If you're buying a new set of goalie gear, it's not uncommon to get a 300$ discount on pads alone as prices vary greatly from store to store and if you are buying skates, pads, gloves, etc. all at the same place, the owner will be more prone on giving you a discount or a freebe. It also helps to be a regular customer. They usually know you as soon as you come in and know wether you are a good customer or not and that in itself will often bring the employee or the boss himself to offer you a discount if you seem hesitant about your purchase. It's more often than not just common sense really.

To me, because the customer is new so he'll have to pay the retail price -> DOT... if he is not happy he can go fxxx himself somewhere else is a bad strategy... a shop is not a club where rebates are only for golden customers.

The very few LHS I used to go (when I was a kid) are those where even if they dont know you they spontaneously propose you nice deals and awesome rebates.

I remember when I bought my 709 graf in Paris, 1st time in this LHS, I wanted to go for some 609 initially but they didn't have my size, so he sold me some 709 for the 609's price B) + took time to explained the 709flexfit system and the difference with the 609, he upgraded my laces with some waxed ones, sharpened them + gave some blade protectors, small skate bags and a lillte cloth for the blade.

It's nothing much for him. But at least I clearly see the difference between getting something online and to go in a shop. In another shop I could have pay the same price and just got a pair of 609 and end of the story.

Example : the other f... face 2 streets further who didnt even want to hear anything about rebates because probably it was my 1st time in his shop. Conclusion he keeps his gears, I wont come back, and I wont recommand the shop to anyone... :P

Some just know how to enlarge their customer base others don't.

To me, because the customer is new so he'll have to pay the retail price -> DOT... if he is not happy he can go fxxx himself somewhere else is a bad strategy... a shop is not a club where rebates are only for golden customers.

The very few LHS I used to go (when I was a kid) are those where even if they dont know you they spontaneously propose you nice deals and awesome rebates.

I remember when I bought my 709 graf in Paris, 1st time in this LHS, I wanted to go for some 609 initially but they didn't have my size, so he sold me some 709 for the 609's price B) + took time to explained the 709flexfit system and the difference with the 609, he upgraded my laces with some waxed ones, sharpened them + gave some blade protectors, small skate bags and a lillte cloth for the blade.

It's nothing much for him. But at least I clearly see the difference between getting something online and to go in a shop. In another shop I could have pay the same price and just got a pair of 609 and end of the story.

Example : the other f... face 2 streets further who didnt even want to hear anything about rebates because probably it was my 1st time in his shop. Conclusion he keeps his gears, I wont come back, and I wont recommand the shop to anyone... :P

Some just know how to enlarge their customer base others don't.

There's a difference between offering a customer a discount on a higher model because you did not have a lesser one they were looking for and agreeing carte blanche to give them a discount.

Yes, "golden customers" are good for a discount IMO because I know they try to keep their business with us.

Keep digging that hole for yourself, buddy.

I have a quick question for the shop owners here so i wont end up being one of the "customers" talked about in this thread. I am interested in a pair of Flexlite 4.0's. A LHS has them for $290 but would have to order them for me, the other LHS has them in stock but is selling them for $399. Having never tried the 4.0's on im not sure i'm comfortable asking the LHS to order 2 or 3 different sizes for me to try on only to find out i dont like them. On the other hand i dont like the idea of just giving away $100.

What is the best solution? My thinking is to tell the guy who has them in stock, what i can get them for elsewhere and see if he is willing to meet me somewhere in the middle. Would you guys consider that a reasonable plan? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a quick question for the shop owners here so i wont end up being one of the "customers" talked about in this thread. I am interested in a pair of Flexlite 4.0's. A LHS has them for $290 but would have to order them for me, the other LHS has them in stock but is selling them for $399. Having never tried the 4.0's on im not sure i'm comfortable asking the LHS to order 2 or 3 different sizes for me to try on only to find out i dont like them. On the other hand i dont like the idea of just giving away $100.

What is the best solution? My thinking is to tell the guy who has them in stock, what i can get them for elsewhere and see if he is willing to meet me somewhere in the middle. Would you guys consider that a reasonable plan? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Make sure you are looking at the same skates - the Flexlite 4.0 come in a regular retail version and a pro version. That may be the reason for the drastic price difference. Use the search feature and you will find lots of info on the differences between the 2 versions.

K

If you're up front and honest, I don't mind that at all. If you come in and say, "I don't want to wast your time, but here's the deal" then I don't mind at all. Getting fitted at store #1 and then going to store #2 for the lower price is screwing over the first store.

Worst thing that happens is we say, "Sorry, I just can't match that price". If they have them for $290 they might be trying to unload the items they have. If that's the case then ordering 2-3 pairs is going to be a problem. If they're trying to keep them stocked then it's not that big of a deal.

I don't mind guys coming in and asking if there's anything that we can do on the price. Sometimes we can, sometimes we can't. More often than not they're understanding that the price will be lower online, etc. It's more about the attitude that the customer is entitled to a discount and I am an asshole by not giving them something.

Honesty right off the bat is something well welcomed.

JR. re:

Fitting someone for figure skates, and guy walks in and asks to try on a pair of Graf G35s. I'm like "Sit down on the bench here, I can multitask."

Measure him up, he's a 9.

"Funny, my guy had me in an 11. Well, all I wanted to do was try on locally, I'm going up north to get fitted for custom skates."

At this point the people sitting next to me know it's messed up, so I decide to mess with him.

"Oh really, going up north, where at?"

"I'm going to Windsor."

"Really? Going to see Joe at Brians?"At this point I'm having fun, this guy is shocked

"Wow, yeah...how did you know that?"

"Let me guess, you'll get stock skates, he'll put shims on the inside and put a Superfeet insole in it and charge you $150 more for that and call it a day?"

Guy is squirming at this point.

Funny you mention this. I went to see Joe at Brian's here in Windsor for the pair of skates I had before my last pair, and he put the shims in, etc, as I had an issue with one foot pronating, whatever.... I then took them to get them sharpened at Maximum Edge, and the owner (Bob Allen I think his name is) asked why I wasted my money on that and ripped them out and basically spent over an hour tweaking the alignment of my holders. In fact he happened to be on the phone with the Red Wings equipment guy (Boyer?), as he had (maybe still does) done a lot of work for NHL teams with his new sharpening technique/tools, and actually put me on the phone with the guy. He basically customized the blade alignment for me which was great. I don't think they do that anymore now that the business has grown, but I've taken my skates exclusively to them since then. Yeah, I felt like I was scammed by "Joe" basically.

a military discount is like Student, teacher, government discount. Some stores/ chains have a standing policy for discounts to that population. Unless the guy was giving you the ol' "yo I served can I get a deal?" line, then that's a different story. I always shop at places that I know that do student deals ( As a grad student) and my partner knows places for government discounts as she qualifies for that. Movie theater, j crew, and some other places have it.