Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Dude, if you play adult league you're one step below pro. you're fucking amazing and have scouts watching you. All 3 people in the stands are secretly scouts for your favorite nhl team and they always coem to watch you even though there are other people on your team and league that are better than you... they're there for you.... amirite? :P

3 people? What adult league do you play in that draws huge crowds like those?

3 people? What adult league do you play in that draws huge crowds like those?

Hahaha that made me laugh. My girlfriend came out to watch my last game and she was the only one there other than the people upstairs in the bar. Although the rink beside us had a good fan base of about 6 people including what looked like grand parents and parents lol.

Hahaha that made me laugh. My girlfriend came out to watch my last game and she was the only one there other than the people upstairs in the bar. Although the rink beside us had a good fan base of about 6 people including what looked like grand parents and parents lol.

My good friend's G.F. and occasionally his Dad will come watch us....but of course that is only b/c they're waiting to go get sauced after we're done (league is on Friday nights).

There is a goalie at another rink that used to have his G.F. tape the games religiously...he's now the third stringer on the local team in a higher level league (no pay so not semi pro but pretty decent) so breaking down the gametape really must have gone a long way. Apparently he has like 100 pics of him in warm ups (at the only game he's dressed) on his Facebook page. Douchenozzle...

Edited by Bucky25

We get a crowd when one of our teams plays, because one of their A-league sandbaggers in the C league division brings his friends so they can scream and cheer for him while he "dominates" lesser competition. It's pretty sad, really.

We've got a bunch of guys who have nothing better to do than to show up early for their games/stay late after, so we always have a friendly-hostile "cheering section" unless we're the only game of the night. :D Goes double during the playoffs, when the asshat ref waved off both a penalty shot (defenseman covering the puck in the crease) and legitimate goal in the last 30 seconds he heard about it from the crowd for a good 5 minutes.

Good times.

We get a crowd when one of our teams plays, because one of their A-league sandbaggers in the C league division brings his friends so they can scream and cheer for him while he "dominates" lesser competition. It's pretty sad, really.

indeed. what does that say about his friends?...wow

Dude, if you play adult league you're one step below pro. you're fucking amazing and have scouts watching you. All 3 people in the stands are secretly scouts for your favorite nhl team and they always coem to watch you even though there are other people on your team and league that are better than you... they're there for you.... amirite? :P

seriously. he's a really good defenseman, ok.

lol.

while buying a pair of skates today i was sitting near the skate sharpening area tying up my skates. A woman and her son walk in go up to the counter and ask the guy if she can get her sons goalie skates sharpened to a 3/8. He had been givin er since i got there and there was still about 15-20 pairs on the counter, so he said 30 - 45 mins.

The woman: "I need them right away though. Can't you do them in ten minutes?"

Sharpener: "I can't bump them up in line."

The woman: "I came all the way across the city though, can't you do them right away?"

Sharpener: "So are you gonna leave them here and come back later or wait till they're done?"

She ended up leaving them to get sharpened, but i was gone before she came back to pick them up. Oh and i ended up trading in my oversized 40's that i ad for the last two years, (size 8 when i should have been in 6.5), and got a pair of X60's. Whole thing made my day

indeed. what does that say about his friends?...wow

How about the one fan in the stands with a cow bell? Rofl, I just kept yelling out from the net, "MORE COW BELL, WE NEED MORE COW BELL!"

We've got a bunch of guys who have nothing better to do than to show up early for their games/stay late after, so we always have a friendly-hostile "cheering section" unless we're the only game of the night. :D Goes double during the playoffs, when the asshat ref waved off both a penalty shot (defenseman covering the puck in the crease) and legitimate goal in the last 30 seconds he heard about it from the crowd for a good 5 minutes.

Good times.

So that's why those three guys on your team went apeshit at the end of your playoff game!

I went into the shop yesterday, to keep busy not really looking for anything so I was trying on skates. (Not taking away any employees time my friend was working and knew I wasn't buying I was just trying on all the 7s in the store to get a better idea of hate certain skates fit) another employee is sizing a guy I would say who is in his late 20's early 30's and has been playing "forever" and says the size 9 Flexlites fit instead of the size 7.5 Vapors that both employees suggested for him. The conversation that ensued was hilarious to me.

Me: Those look like they have an awful lot of room at the back....

Guy: What do you know you are just a kid?

Employee: Well he seems to know more then you.

Guy (to manager): Are you hearing this?

Manager: oh yea, I agree with the kid

:P

Sorry if the post is incoherent, I just took the Texas Assesment of Knowledge and skills also known as the most boring and pointless standardized test of all time.

I went into the shop yesterday, to keep busy not really looking for anything so I was trying on skates. (Not taking away any employees time my friend was working and knew I wasn't buying I was just trying on all the 7s in the store to get a better idea of hate certain skates fit) another employee is sizing a guy I would say who is in his late 20's early 30's and has been playing "forever" and says the size 9 Flexlites fit instead of the size 7.5 Vapors that both employees suggested for him. The conversation that ensued was hilarious to me.

Me: Those look like they have an awful lot of room at the back....

Guy: What do you know you are just a kid?

Employee: Well he seems to know more then you.

Guy (to manager): Are you hearing this?

Manager: oh yea, I agree with the kid

:P

Sorry if the post is incoherent, I just took the Texas Assesment of Knowledge and skills also known as the most boring and pointless standardized test of all time.

While the employee's comment was technically correct, that is the wrong way to go about it. Making it confrontational will not help the situation.

While the employee's comment was technically correct, that is the wrong way to go about it. Making it confrontational will not help the situation.

From the sales side, I see nothing wrong with that comment.

If he walks out on you, oh well you lost some business. This is actually an unlikely scenario from such a harmless comment.

If you just agree with the customer; when he comes back in because they don't fit, you're the bad guy. You're a sleazy salesman just trying to make a buck.

You can probably be nice and try to explain why he's wrong but it's unlikely he'll listen, he's more likely to cut you off and imply you are a "stupid kid" again.

Well this is all making perfect sense to me now I thought it was just a couple of bored drunks but thanks for clearing that up I better get to practicing.

Had to laugh at this one. Was talking to my cousin, complaining about beer league, and his game the day before had been a lot like mine, no sportsmanship from a team of ringers. So everyone was coming through the line, and my cousin is in front of a guy who works at the rink, and he tells one kid running his mouth "You're talking now, but let's see how much you have to say when I hatchet up your skates next time." Both lines start cracking up.

From the sales side, I see nothing wrong with that comment.

If he walks out on you, oh well you lost some business. This is actually an unlikely scenario from such a harmless comment.

If you just agree with the customer; when he comes back in because they don't fit, you're the bad guy. You're a sleazy salesman just trying to make a buck.

You can probably be nice and try to explain why he's wrong but it's unlikely he'll listen, he's more likely to cut you off and imply you are a "stupid kid" again.

The risk taken by making a smart-ass sounding comment rather than politely explaining and showing how the customer is wrong can be more than just that lost sale. It is also any follow up sales and or service for that guy. Then, should he decide to tell teammates how much of a smart-ass the kid was, and you know the story grows with the telling, there's the potential for the shop to get a bad reputation and then there are even more lost sales.

The risk taken by making a smart-ass sounding comment rather than politely explaining and showing how the customer is wrong can be more than just that lost sale. It is also any follow up sales and or service for that guy. Then, should he decide to tell teammates how much of a smart-ass the kid was, and you know the story grows with the telling, there's the potential for the shop to get a bad reputation and then there are even more lost sales.

I have to agree here. There were definitely better ways to say it because the ramifications from negative word of mouth can be worse than just a lost sale.

Keep in mind it's 10 times more expensive to gain a new customer than to keep an old one.

Degrading someone trying to help you isn't exactly a good course of action either. I think the customer was more out of line.

Keep in mind it's 10 times more expensive to gain a new customer than to keep an old one.

Did you just get done watching the "Fire" episode of The Office? :)

I have to agree here. There were definitely better ways to say it because the ramifications from negative word of mouth can be worse than just a lost sale.

But the good word of mouth from guys who get fitted properly and get competent service will balance that out. If they had let him buy the 9s, he would have walked out, discovered they didn't fit, brought 'em back, make the shop eat the cost, buy the 7.5 vapors like he should have in the first place, and he would still be bad mouthing their service. Idiots like that are a lose lose. If you get them in the right skates, even if it takes being a little rude to do so and risk a walkout, they'll be much more likely to appreciate it later when they realize how helpful the staff really had been.

No doubt but there is nothing wrong with the shop folks taking the high road.

Which would be what? Letting him buy the skates that didn't fit that he would wind up complaining about, and complaining about the people who fit him within a week?

The "high road" in most aspects of life is a sure way to get yourself ignored and lose any hope you may have had of getting things done right.

Edited by cptjeff

"with all due respect, that does look like a lot of room in the back of the skate. You want the skate to hug your foot so you have more control over it. With that much room in the back your heel can slip up and your foot will move within the skate before your foot comes into contact with the skate causing a delay in energy transfer. I'd recommend trying on a smaller size."

"with all due respect, that does look like a lot of room in the back of the skate. You want the skate to hug your foot so you have more control over it. With that much room in the back your heel can slip up and your foot will move within the skate before your foot comes into contact with the skate causing a delay in energy transfer. I'd recommend trying on a smaller size."

Exactly. You can take the high road and still make a sale at the same time even if the customer won't listen to you.

Did you just get done watching the "Fire" episode of The Office? :)

No haha

But the good word of mouth from guys who get fitted properly and get competent service will balance that out. If they had let him buy the 9s, he would have walked out, discovered they didn't fit, brought 'em back, make the shop eat the cost, buy the 7.5 vapors like he should have in the first place, and he would still be bad mouthing their service. Idiots like that are a lose lose. If you get them in the right skates, even if it takes being a little rude to do so and risk a walkout, they'll be much more likely to appreciate it later when they realize how helpful the staff really had been.

Which would be what? Letting him buy the skates that didn't fit that he would wind up complaining about, and complaining about the people who fit him within a week?

The "high road" in most aspects of life is a sure way to get yourself ignored and lose any hope you may have had of getting things done right.

No one is saying that they should have let him buy the larger skates, we're just saying that the employee always needs to take the high road no matter how the customer is acting. He could have stated his point in a different way.

Maybe 1/20 times does that phrase ever enter my head as a person that is just sitting next to a customer being fitted by an employee.