Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Player

Tacki-Mac Command Grip

Has anyone tried using one on a CCM U+ CL? This stick has a mildly rough sand-like grip, not smooth like most other sticks. Will it stay on? Will the hairspray method work?

Okay I picked up a black short sand. They sell them at Canadian Tire.

I could not get it on using hairspray. It would go about 1.5" and stop. In the end, I used soap and water and had to fold half of the grip inside out. I had to use pliers to get it all the way and roll the bottom part down. I didn't use any adhesive at all, but it is solid. I'm wondering if the grip on the CCM U+CL made it so difficult and if it is enough to hold it. We'll see..

Extra Hold hair spray, slides on nicely and locks up quickly on the shaft.

Thanks for the info. I don't even want to know how you guys figured that out though... strange visions of primping accidents in the locker room :o

I've put them on and off probably 30+ times.

Best way is with Aquanet extra hold (purple can...$2 usually). Spray the shaft all the way around pretty good, not to where it's dripping but where it's visibly wet. Then spray the inside of the grip the same way. Then just slide it down. If you use a wood end plug it might be tough, but I've done it several times.

If it's not sticking properly, remove the grip and clean it with goo gone and/or rubbing alcohol. I had a couple sticks that had trouble after the grip finish started coming off...but haven't had a problem since.

Just wish they'd come out with something in between the wrapped (tiny) butt end and the "big butt" huge knob.

How easily is it supposed to slide down? On the textured surface of the UL+CL stick, it is damn near impossible to slide with hairspray or water and soap. And the stuff dries so fast before I can get it slid down more than an inch or two.

The texture will really make it a pain. Keep spraying more on the shaft and inside the grip to help it get down.

The texture will really make it a pain. Keep spraying more on the shaft and inside the grip to help it get down.

good advice - I'm second to that!

In addition what helps (at least on smooth shafts, but hopefull will work with grip too) is to kind of 'bolt' the tacki-mac on using circular motion rather then just a downward pressure

also you could always sand the grip at the top using a fine-grain sandpaper?

How easily is it supposed to slide down? On the textured surface of the UL+CL stick, it is damn near impossible to slide with hairspray or water and soap. And the stuff dries so fast before I can get it slid down more than an inch or two.

It does suck but if you work at it and keep the hairspray wet you'll get it on.

good advice - I'm second to that!

In addition what helps (at least on smooth shafts, but hopefull will work with grip too) is to kind of 'bolt' the tacki-mac on using circular motion rather then just a downward pressure

also you could always sand the grip at the top using a fine-grain sandpaper?

I want to avoid sanding it down since I might change my mind one day and go bare-stick, with a knob only.

I'll try screwing it down like you suggest.

At least I know I don't need to put any kind of adhesive or hairspray. Just soap and water.

It seems like soap+water really does the trick and there isn't any problems with just sliding on the grip without using their tape... i wonder why they suggest using their method of installation..

It seems like soap+water really does the trick and there isn't any problems with just sliding on the grip without using their tape... i wonder why they suggest using their method of installation..

from my limited experience of using the prescribed method (2 sided glue paper) I found that the grip lasted a bit longer then somparing with the hairspray method I've been using most of the time.

there's no scientific explanation that I could think off though, so it might have been just a fluke...

Thanks for the info. I don't even want to know how you guys figured that out though... strange visions of primping accidents in the locker room :o

I cut my sticks at the shop a few wks ago. Asked every figure skater around if they had any hairspray, none of them did, but the looks were priceless.

I cut my sticks at the shop a few wks ago. Asked every figure skater around if they had any hairspray, none of them did, but the looks were priceless.

:lol: I can't even imagine. That's a perfect opening line for you.

For anyone that doesn't know, JR shaves his head.

:lol: I can't even imagine. That's a perfect opening line for you.

For anyone that doesn't know, JR shaves his head.

Crucial piece of information there! Now that IS funny! :lol:

I tried to get a long sand tacki mac on my UL+CL's stick. It is damn near impossible. I ended up ripping the tacki mac in the process. It looks like it is back to tape for me.

UPDATE.

As stupid as this is going to sound, I went back and tried the one thing that I should have in the beginning - use the Tacki Mac supplied double sided tape. The thing slipped on so easy and is now on there good.

Now I'm wondering how to get it off when I need to. Just add soapy water again some how? Cut it off?

UPDATE.

As stupid as this is going to sound, I went back and tried the one thing that I should have in the beginning - use the Tacki Mac supplied double sided tape. The thing slipped on so easy and is now on there good.

Now I'm wondering how to get it off when I need to. Just add soapy water again some how? Cut it off?

I cut mine off, then found out the next day that I should have just put more hot water on it and it would have slipped right off.

i used to use the sticky double sided tape... slides on easy. when you want to take it off it's also pretty easy, just reverse the method you used to put it on. only problem is getting the sticky double sided tape off when you don't want it anymore. it's very sticky and it took off the clear coat off of my ak27

Yeah the double-sided tape took off a couple of small pieces of the paint on my U+CL. No biggie, since that part gets covered up anyway.

I switched to a long sand grip without ever using the other grip. Had my first game last night with it. I love it.

One neat feature is that I can lean the stick up against a wall vertically and the rubber will keep the stick from falling sideways to the ground, even if it isn't perfectly vertical. ;)

i used to use the sticky double sided tape... slides on easy. when you want to take it off it's also pretty easy, just reverse the method you used to put it on. only problem is getting the sticky double sided tape off when you don't want it anymore. it's very sticky and it took off the clear coat off of my ak27

I find that waving a heat gun at the double sided tape a bit makes it come off much easier. Just warm it up until it starts to lift and then peel it off. You might still lose a chip of paint here and there, but that won't matter since it will be covered.

They double sided tape works great when the hairspray doesn't...but the problem I've had with it is that it always grows mold/mildew from the water trapped under the grip. And on a couple sticks, the tape never would come off.

Also, Golfsmith sells water activated grip tape if you need more...you have to trim the size, but it works great.

Last week a cut one of my sticks a bit short, and since I've been using no knob with the Tacki Macs, thought I'd try the knob with shin tape trick to get a little more length (holding the knob with pinky off versus holding the stick with no knob). It worked surprisingly well. For some reason, I thought it'd be too slippery, but it felt just fine. It looks like hell, but who cares. Maybe I should pick up some black shin tape instead.

I have about 8 command grips, love them. I would recommend ordering straight from debbie, good deal and shes easy to deal with. I think it cost me like $3 to ship 5 of them from US to Canada.