Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Player

Tacki-Mac Command Grip

They double sided tape works great when the hairspray doesn't...but the problem I've had with it is that it always grows mold/mildew from the water trapped under the grip.

+1. That was pretty nasty. If I recall right, though, the instructions said something about wiping off the excess water. So it may have been my own fault.

Beyond that, I had an awful experience with Tacki-Macs when I tried them. My top hand felt like it was glued to the grip, I could never move or rotate my hand as quickly as I wanted to. Stick-handling was impossible.

Edit - Typo

I've used these for two seasons of adult league (120 games) and drop-in every Friday and Monday. I have a set of Mission WTF gloves and the palms still look close to new.

On my second set of sticks I didn't use the double sided tape, I just applied soap and water to the butt end and slid the Tack-Mac's right on.

If you like your gloves and want to keep them around for a season or two INVEST IN TACK-MAC.

I love these things. I however, like the short sanded gretzky. I just find the other one too thick..but yeah. And their attack pad isn't bad too. Beats the shit out of that blade tape. At least in my opinion.

I have about 8 command grips, love them. I would recommend ordering straight from debbie, good deal and shes easy to deal with. I think it cost me like $3 to ship 5 of them from US to Canada.

+1 I ordered it straight from them with no hassle whatsoever. very inexpensive shipping. I ended up buying it directly since none of the hockey shops near me carry the grip version I am accustomed to. Debbie also threw it extra double-sided adhesive tape upon request. I ended up with the buying the "Wrapped" version. Was very surprised how tacky the material was when wearing my gloves.

I hope no one experienced their palms stretching or anything like that with this grip, did they? and the butt-end of the grip, is it suppose to not stick as well compared to the lower end of the grip?

Been using these for a year and no signs of wear on my gloves at all. I have noticed the butt doesn't stick as tight - seems like it wants to spring back to round rather than taking the rectangle of the stick - but I've never had any problem with it moving or anything.

I've been using one for about a year now and while it felt odd and fairly thick at first, once I got used to it, I really don't like playing without it. It's almost seemed to "soften" my hands a little bit and I haven't been having trouble catching the hard passes that I used to bobble occasionally. The gloves I was using with them were already showing signs of wear (not to mention they were pretty low end gloves) when I started using the grips and they just now started to get tears in them which put me at around 2yrs with this glove, so I'm willing to bet that the grips prolonged the life of the palms at least a couple months if not more. Overall, I'd say that if you can get 'em at your LHS might as well pick one up since they aren't super expensive, give it a shot because you might end up really liking it.

So i read a majority of the threads dedicated to the tacki-mac grips and have a few questions.

- I just broke a stick that I have the command grip on and I am unsure how to remove it and transfer it to another stick. I used the double sided adhesive tape when I installed the grip. How do I take the grip off?

- For those who used the hairspray method instead of the provided adhesive paper, how is the grip holding up? And what exactly did you do to install it?

- In terms of long-term wear, how are the palms of your gloves?

So i read a majority of the threads dedicated to the tacki-mac grips and have a few questions.

- I just broke a stick that I have the command grip on and I am unsure how to remove it and transfer it to another stick. I used the double sided adhesive tape when I installed the grip. How do I take the grip off?

- For those who used the hairspray method instead of the provided adhesive paper, how is the grip holding up? And what exactly did you do to install it?

- In terms of long-term wear, how are the palms of your gloves?

been using the grip for a couple of years now & like it a LOT!

removing the grip is fairly easy especially if you've got strong fingers - simply roll it back & off the stick

if you used the tape then you'd have to sock it up first.

re hairspray - simply use a strong hold spray, spray it on the sick & inside of the grip & slide the grip on (it's easier if you use spiral motion sort of 'bolting it on') - it's fast, not messy when comparing to tape & it holds up well.

arguably NOT using the tape improves the puck feel since there's one less layer to dampen the vibration.

re gloves: the grip isn't tacki like tape so there's no residue to damage the palms

plus since there's more friction there's less movement in the palm which further helps preserving it.

Just tried my first tacki mac, it feels a little too thick for me. :(

Not as comfortable as a bit of tape. Feels like I'm holding a tennis racket now.

been using the grip for a couple of years now & like it a LOT!

removing the grip is fairly easy especially if you've got strong fingers - simply roll it back & off the stick

if you used the tape then you'd have to sock it up first.

re hairspray - simply use a strong hold spray, spray it on the sick & inside of the grip & slide the grip on (it's easier if you use spiral motion sort of 'bolting it on') - it's fast, not messy when comparing to tape & it holds up well.

arguably NOT using the tape improves the puck feel since there's one less layer to dampen the vibration.

re gloves: the grip isn't tacki like tape so there's no residue to damage the palms

plus since there's more friction there's less movement in the palm which further helps preserving it.

So I removed the grip and cleaned the glue inside it. I used another adhesive pad and placed the grip on it. I left it over night and i still have too much play. The grip is moving around. Do you think it is a bust to reuse the grip or is the hairspray a better method at this point?

Hey I had the same problem as you did sometimes.

What I would do is soak the grip in some dish soap and water and make sure all the residue is off. Clean the shaft with goo gone or rubbing alcohol to remove all the residue off that as well.

For the "adhesive", Aquanet Extra Hold (the $2 purple can) worked the best for me. Spray a thin coating on the shaft (like you would spray paint clear coat) and then give a couple quick sprays to the inside of the grip.

I just have my tacki-macs on my sticks with no adhesive at all. I've never had a problem with them slipping or anything.

Maybe my shooting is that weak, and/or I have the technique completely wrong. Neither of which would surprise me too much.

Which grip is the thinnest? I don't use a lot of tape on my sticks and I'm about to pick up a pair of Bauer 4-Rolls and want to save the palms as much as I can...

I think sand is the thinnest. I have 3 or 4 sand and one wrapped texture, and wrapped feels thicker at the top and tapers down.

Like others have said, it will feel awkward at first compared to tape, but you get used to it.

I tried one, and after getting used to the thickness, I love them.

Wow. That sounded dirty.

Regardless, I use them on all my sticks now. The one that has the spiral "rolled up tape" feel to it.

I saw they came out with a "Patrick Kane" one. I e-mailed and asked about getting some custom ones made up but they said only for AHL/NHL teams. Bummer. All I want is a sandpaper grip with a 1" knob.

I think wrapped is thinner than sand.

I get the wrapped and cut the butt to 1/8"

Does that do anything bad to it? I was thinking about cutting it down a bit at one point, the butt is a little big for my taste.

Hey I had the same problem as you did sometimes.

What I would do is soak the grip in some dish soap and water and make sure all the residue is off. Clean the shaft with goo gone or rubbing alcohol to remove all the residue off that as well.

For the "adhesive", Aquanet Extra Hold (the $2 purple can) worked the best for me. Spray a thin coating on the shaft (like you would spray paint clear coat) and then give a couple quick sprays to the inside of the grip.

Just bought 4 of them - and yes, I recycle them. On the EQ50, I used hairspray but I gave it a bit of slack so that way I can still pull out the butt-end.

When you guys use hairspray, does the grip slide on easily?

So I removed the grip and cleaned the glue inside it. I used another adhesive pad and placed the grip on it. I left it over night and i still have too much play. The grip is moving around. Do you think it is a bust to reuse the grip or is the hairspray a better method at this point?

How did you do it? how much water/soap etc?

Does that do anything bad to it? I was thinking about cutting it down a bit at one point, the butt is a little big for my taste.

PRE_2010-10-15-164216.jpg

I'm sure it can be done cleaner, if you just take your time, but you can get the general idea. I cut it while on the stick with a blade, probably better to cut it with a pair of scissors.

As far as the hairspray is concerned, spray it on and knead it on the stick, then straighten it out when it is in position. It will slide with enough hairspray.