Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkStar50

Zipless in the NHL

It isn't a fashion show its a hockey game....and until you can play better than those with Unzipped pants...then stop complaining

that ends this discussion! :lol:

There's been at least one pro coach in recent memory who wouldn't let any players skate with unzipped/cut pant legs after a player on his squad went out with a cut to his inner thigh.

Lamoriello won't let Devils players have mustaches(except for playoffs) so I'm sure he has some strict uniform rules, too.

I always had mine unzipped till I played college. Either my coach or the line would make me zip it back up..

I have gotten used to it and have tried to go back to my old ways for drop-in and beer league but it feels weird now. I dont like the way the zipper rubs my leg.

I just take the piece of velcro on the bottom and get it re-stitched about two inches up the leg so its unzipped just a little...whether its for looks or comfort it works for me. But pants have to be just on the top or above the knee. Sagging, unzipped pants are trash...

I wonder how many of the "unzipped" folks also don't wear seatbelts in cars due to the "constriction and mobility factor"? Pants and seatbelts are safety devices, and both are designed to worn in a certain way. If you don't wear them the way they are designed, the safety factor drops off tremendously.

Just because it's designed for safety doesn't mean it performs well. Seatbelts and pants are both designed for safety, but a seatbelt doesn't (or is much less likely to) constrict one's mobility in a car since that is controlled by simply moving one's hands and feet. Pants can get in the way of skating in a different way than a seatbelt can get in the way of driving.

Just because it's designed for safety doesn't mean it performs well. Seatbelts and pants are both designed for safety, but a seatbelt doesn't (or is much less likely to) constrict one's mobility in a car since that is controlled by simply moving one's hands and feet. Pants can get in the way of skating in a different way than a seatbelt can get in the way of driving.

I have never had a pant (that fit CORRECTLY) that restricted my movement either. :blink:

I wonder how many of the "unzipped" folks also don't wear seatbelts in cars due to the "constriction and mobility factor"? Pants and seatbelts are safety devices, and both are designed to worn in a certain way. If you don't wear them the way they are designed, the safety factor drops off tremendously.

yeah but seatbelts dont have zippers.. why are zippers on pants?

I wonder how many of the "unzipped" folks also don't wear seatbelts in cars due to the "constriction and mobility factor"?  Pants and seatbelts are safety devices, and both are designed to worn in a certain way.  If you don't wear them the way they are designed, the safety factor drops off tremendously.

if u put on ur skates and forget about ur pants just unzip them and they are on

Zippers are on pants so you can put your skates on b4 ur pants not to add mobility. Personally I think it looks trashy and I truly doubt it adds much to the mobility but maybe I'm a little old school. We didn't have zips back in the day so I have never tried pants (or breezers as we always called them) with them. Still using my Tackla 9000's and they don't have them.

I wonder how many of the "unzipped" folks also don't wear seatbelts in cars due to the "constriction and mobility factor"?  Pants and seatbelts are safety devices, and both are designed to worn in a certain way.  If you don't wear them the way they are designed, the safety factor drops off tremendously.

if u put on ur skates and forget about ur pants just unzip them and they are on

Exactly, ease of installation. Consider it a nice to have feature, like the fur or neoprene covers you can put on seatbelts.

I leave mine unzipped. I have a thing against anything fitting tightly so it is all mental for me. Of course, I only attach my socks to the velcro on the front also. Since getting my L5's I did play with them zipped once. The ventilation is amazing so I couldn't use that excuse. It is just 100% mental for me and makes me comfortable.

Looks tacky.

Yeah in and out of the NHL it looks like crap. I've tried it and really didn't notice a difference either.

My Tacklas dont stay closed, so I let them flap in the breeze. My Bauers have a shorter zipper, but still open up some. I pull my pants on after tying my skates. I like the loose feel of the pant legs. To this date I haven't had the thigh pad rotate out of position and take a shot off the thigh. I do wear my seatbelt.

Think about it like a tailor, if the crotch of the pant is too low your movement is restricted. Pull 'em up or get pants that fit.

Think about it like a tailor, if the crotch of the pant is too low your movement is restricted. Pull 'em up or get pants that fit.

Hmm good point. I think most of the highschool guys around here I skate with sometimes wear their pants too low. The ones with zippers need to unzip, and the guys that don't have zippers wind up really hampering themselves.

Note to self: make sure you tie your pants tightly.

Looks tacky.

I have to agree - but I'm not out there to look good, I'm out there to play hockey, so I am going to wear my gear in a comfortable, mobile manor. Zipped-up, my 8k's feel too tight around my thighs and cut down on alot of my mobility, so they stay un-zipped - except when we go to Canada, where un-zipped pants get whistled; there I usually have to tape-up the inside part of the zipper to make sure it doesn't sneak back-up the leg.

Scouts and coaches look at how well you play the game, not how well you look while you play it.