Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkStar50

Zipless in the NHL

What is everyone's opinion on the unzipped pant leg on NHL guys? Weight and McKee have it in the Weight skate post pic. Commodore keeps them unzipped and he looks like a mess no matter how he dresses. IMO, it looks sloppy as well as dangerous. Your thigh guard is easily totally out of place. Just wondered what anyone thought. If you do this, explain why. Just curious.......

I try to keep mine zipped up, but they always tear apart. (Its a rule here, as illegal equipement), but i'm going to sew them together for next year. Otherwise yes it looks pretty sloppy, and can be dangerous if i can get caught on to something.

allegedly its done for mobility reasons. i suppose one could make an arguement for ventilation... or perhaps showing a little thigh to the goalie to distract him.

I cant remember if commodore ever left his unzipped or wahtever (i dont usually look) but i do know his pants are shredded to all hell and probably couldnt close if he wanted them to.

Why bother putting zippers in then? I agree in the sense that it does compromise protection but then again, pros do lots of other things that are worse (i.e. thinning the foam in their helmets, removing padding from breezers/pads).

Saw old pics of ray bourque and others who just cut the insides of their pants.

I don't know if my memory is lying to me now, but I seem to remember seeing a pic of bobby orr skating w/ nothing holding his breezers up besides his suspenders. Untied, unbuttoned.

in the end, it's not that much protection with them zippered up. a piece of nylon isn't going to do much against a puck, stick, or skate. it'll be just as painfull with or without the pant zipped up, just another layer. most people have their socks up there, and are not completely naked at that spot, so a skate won't do that much damage.

i leave mine unzipped for mobility and for ventilation. also, when i get dressed i normally put my skates an first and then my pants which makes them easier to put on if they're unzipped, and i dont bother zipping them back up 'cause im to lazy.

I usually leave mine unzipped, but I do find that it the thigh pads tilt to the side bit, leaving my thigh pretyt well open facing forward. It's more than just being open and expsosing my leg on the inside.

I don't like the way it feels. It just feels too sloppy. I have plenty of mobility in my Tackla 951's as it is.

honestly i dont see how people say i skate with my pants unzipped for mobility. like i could see if the part where the zipper is was wrapped around your knee or some other joint/flexing point, but its not, what gives?

Feels so much better unzipped, I think in general you just feel less constricted. On a side note where some say they think it looks ugly, etc., I think it actually looks better.

I did it for a while here in FL....it was MUCH cooler and felt more mobile.

Then I took a hard shot that made it under the front edge of the loose legs that fucked my thigh up pretty good. Wouldn't have happened if they were zipped and that gap wasnt open.

in the end, it's not that much protection with them zippered up. a piece of nylon isn't going to do much against a puck, stick, or skate. it'll be just as painfull with or without the pant zipped up, just another layer. most people have their socks up there, and are not completely naked at that spot, so a skate won't do that much damage.

I think the question is more, if the protection on the front of the leg (for me, rather substantial) moved laterally because you had cut the inside of your pants (i.e. you're blocking a shot, you go down on your left side, and your left leg on your pants slides under you, leaving no padding covering the front of your thigh, where the pant would otherwise be normally firmly attached).

And yeah I used to cut my pants for mobility but I don't think it's that big a deal anymore. Honestly, cutting stuff outta your shoulderpads would do more for mobility and I think that's a risky proposition.

You got it gavin. I used to unzip my Grafs pants during practice back in HS. Then I realized that there was not much mobility difference, and the front pad would shift toward the outside, exposing half of my leg. My college team has had a zipped up rule because it looks sloppy otherwise, and I agree. Shoulderpads on the other hand, I "modify" them heavily.

Feels so much better unzipped, I think in general you just feel less constricted. On a side note where some say they think it looks ugly, etc., I think it actually looks better.

:blink: Bell Bottom Breezers? :blink:

Joe Thornton wears his unzipped too and it makes him look like he is wearing a field hockey skirt. I wear mine zipped, like someone else said I put my skates on first and pants last. I will admit it is a little difficult at times to zip back up but it works. If the pants fit correctly why would it be for a mobility issue. Probally the zippers are broken and the pants are super comfortable to them, you know how the pros are about their equipment.

My own PP is to leave them unzipped, I've got rather thick legs and it really does help with mobility mainly at the extreme parts of my stride (e.g. deep knee bend). I've never suffered an injury due to having them unzipped and don't have a problem with my pads shifting out of place. As for looks I think there a pros and cons to both styles but I prefer the unzipped look.

ive always kept mine zipped. untiill now ive never really thought about the zippers on my pants. i just never bothered to unzip them.