Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KYHockey3

2007 MLB Thread

Jesus Christ, Sager looks like the Great Pumpkin.

Edit: Damn, half of the Indians line-up look like characters from World of Warcraft.

I wonder if anyone has "STIR FLIED" headlines tomorrow. I remember talking about this guy leaving balls up in the zone a a month ago and it hasn't changed. I like how Wedge kept Sabathia in seemingly only to have him win-eligible.

Beckett definitely was on, but the Angels lineup is of a much different makeup then the Yanks, so I wouldn't say that one start means "yankee fans should worry". I mean, Beckett has had a great year, and the Yanks have hit him at least well.

I wasn't expecting such a performance by Beckett, especially after his last start when the division and possibly Cy Young had been on the line. He's always seemed so amped in his Boston starts, and his World Series MVP exploits seemed to be a thing of the past.

But here is an amazing factoid. He has had 166 regular season starts and 5 playoff starts in his career. In the regular season, he has 2 shutouts and 4 complete games; in the playoffs, he has 3 shutouts and 3 complete games. That's remarkable.

Pettitte may have been teflon tonight but I'm wondering if Joba pulls an Ankiel here late.

Mientkewicz just filled his pants, but nice grab.

God I'm good.

A-Rod with another great start to another post-season. ;)

And along with what LkptTiger said, that was a shot.

On to Cali for the sweep. What's going to happen in NY?

Eh, even if they win the next game they still have to win in Cleveland.

Either way, no matter which team wins, after watching the Red Sox play the last three games (even if I am a fan) I don't think either one of these teams can beat them to move on.

Just my opinion though. I'm sure Mik will chime in anytime now with 50 gazillion stats and numbers and thoughts on how the Yankees will come back to beat the Indians, beat the Red Sox in 5, and sweep whoever in the World Series.

In 5...4...3...2...1....take it away Mik.

Even with Manny starting to hit, I don't want to play the Yankees. There's too much baggage/memory/ghosts/whatever, and I think Francona can outthink himself with his bullpen. I understand that Sabathia and Carmona could win a series by themselves, but I'd like our chances against the Indians, more so than the Yankees.

The best thing that could happen for the Sox is Cleveland needing to pitch Sabathia to win Game 5, although that would add a couple more days of angst.

By the way, that's a looong layoff until Friday -- it's very easy to lose sharpness with that much rest.

That's what I was telling my friend at work tonight Salming.

I mentioned while watching the game that I hope we play the Indians despite whatever troubles the Yanks we're having before game 3 as I think we have a much better chance beating them, than the Yanks in any type of state they are playing.

I just hope the Indians hurry up and get it over with because the rest is going to kill them if they have to wait.

I guess I will say, despite these playoffs not being the most "exciting", as I've been hearing due to all the first round sweeps, the ALCS is going to be a great finish and series to go on to the World Series. I can't wait to watch no matter who the Red Sox play.

So wait, the same Red Sox team that was playing ok baseball with zero bullpen is all of a sudden going to run through whoever they face?

Why? Because they got through an Angels team with pretty much every meaningful player hurt?

Agreed about the Angels, but zero bullpen??

They had the best bullpen in the AL. Lowest ERA, hits allowed, WHIP and OBP against; second in slugging against; third in HR's allowed; and fourth in BB's allowed. The only area they trailed much of the league was strikeouts.

If the starters are considered, depending which category one chooses, either they or Cleveland had the best staff in the league by a smidge over the other.

The best way to put it is if this Yankee team was the Minnesota Twins playing the Sox, they'd scare me a little because of their offense, but the Sox are the better team overall. However, because it's obvious the mystique of the Yankees still hasn't died -- at least with how it affects Francona's use of the bullpen -- then this Yankees team scares me a lot because they ARE the Yankees.

But it doesn't change the fact the Red Sox are a better all-around team if the cities were removed from the equation.

What's going to happen in NY?

The sleeping monster has been awoken.

I hope so and there is alot of pressure on Torre. Even if the Yankees dont win, which i hope well not happen, i dont know why they would fire him anyways.

I'm a lifelong Yankees fan and I enjoyed Torre's run but the makeup of the team is not the same as it was in '96. People forget how awful his teams were before he got the Yanks gig.

The question begs - who else is out there? I'd take Bowa, Pena and Joe G over Donnie at this point.

I'm a lifelong Yankees fan and I enjoyed Torre's run but the makeup of the team is not the same as it was in '96. People forget how awful his teams were before he got the Yanks gig.

The question begs - who else is out there? I'd take Bowa, Pena and Joe G over Donnie at this point.

You don't want Bowa. I don't think he would even make it to the all-star break before getting canned.

There's only one man I want to manage the Yankees next year, that man is Bobby Valentine.

After him I'd like to look at Miley, Pena, and Dent.

A lot of people here in Philly would've taken Bowa as the manager this past year. He's a good NL manager, but the players hate playing for him.

Charlie Manuel might be available. Players love playing for him and he won't make nearly as many mistakes in the AL (where you basically have no decisions to make).

I don't want anyone managing the Yanks next year besides Torre, if for no other reason then if they say Torre won't be back, that could very well influence Marianos and Posadas decision on whether or not to come back.

If Mo walks, you know there's no way they still let Joba start. He's their closer for sure. While thats not a bad thing, I still want him starting. There is absolutely no one that could replace Posada. If those two walk, and A-rod doesn't resign, you'll hear Torre laughing from Hawaii as the Yanks are third in the division next year and not make the playoffs.

I don't want anyone managing the Yanks next year besides Torre, if for no other reason then if they say Torre won't be back, that could very well influence Marianos and Posadas decision on whether or not to come back.

If Mo walks, you know there's no way they still let Joba start. He's their closer for sure. While thats not a bad thing, I still want him starting. There is absolutely no one that could replace Posada. If those two walk, and A-rod doesn't resign, you'll hear Torre laughing from Hawaii as the Yanks are third in the division next year and not make the playoffs.

Here's what people don't understand about this thought process, which has become a popular one.

If Joe's not the Yankee manager, and they don't sign, it means they don't want to play for a different manager.

Now, what would they be doing by going somewhere else?

And I don't want Girardi 'cause I already have one NL idiot running my team horribly, don't need another.

Well, that pretty much sucked. Wang looked horrible (insert Mack saying he told us so, and he was right), and while no one would have started Mussina over Wang, it seems like that might have been the best idea.

As for what you said Mik, I've though about that as well, but you have to also add in the NY factor. They might not want to play for the Yanks and deal with Steinbrenner and everything without Torre being there. Plus its something they might just say in order to bring Joe back.

Here's what people don't understand about this thought process, which has become a popular one.

If Joe's not the Yankee manager, and they don't sign, it means they don't want to play for a different manager.

Now, what would they be doing by going somewhere else?

And I don't want Girardi 'cause I already have one NL idiot running my team horribly, don't need another.

Yeah but if their loyalties lie with Torre, maybe they get offended by the Boss not bringing him back and decided to give a big 'F You' to the organization by signing somewhere else.

It's funny, I was writing a blog for Gouche's website, when I remembered I had typed this response in April:

"Last, do all major league teams have a goal to win the World Series? No, although they all have a dream to win the World Series. Tampa Bay, Florida, Washington, Baltimore, Colorado, Arizona, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and maybe five others all know that they will not win the World Series. It's not even a goal, only a wish."

Whoops....