Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

I want to lengthen my stride, any tips?

OK, so I have been skating quite a bit recently, and I am feeling ok about my skating. Obviously there is room for improvement constantly, and I am only out of the beginner phase. So I feel ok, relative to my level of play right now.

Is there any type of drills that will focus on lengthening my stride, or is it just a practice thing. I am a big guy, and I seem to wear out because I think I am probably pumping my legs too much because my stride is shorter than it should/could be.

As a caps fan, I look at Zubrus, his stride is so fluid and long. I can build up a head of steam but sometimes feel like Wyle E Coyote with the legs spinning before I actually take off.

If anyone has any tips on how to lengthen out my stride, I would appreciate it

Try putting most of the push towards the end of the stride. When your leg is within 30 degrees of straightening, the tear-drop-shaped muscle in the inside front of your leg gets activated the most and you can push the strongest.

If you are putting most of your effort at the beginning or the middle of the push, you go up instead of forward and your stride shortens.

There are a lot of good drills for this, including:

(i) Take a long stride, but keep your leg extended and drag/slide the side of your skate along the ice for a beat before recovering and taking the next stride with the opposite leg;

(ii) Same as (i), but 3 strides per side before alternating; and

(iii) Same as (i), but slide the toe of your skate behind your support leg as you stay in the low position.

OK, so I have been skating quite a bit recently, and I am feeling ok about my skating. Obviously there is room for improvement constantly, and I am only out of the beginner phase. So I feel ok, relative to my level of play right now.

Is there any type of drills that will focus on lengthening my stride, or is it just a practice thing. I am a big guy, and I seem to wear out because I think I am probably pumping my legs too much because my stride is shorter than it should/could be.

As a caps fan, I look at Zubrus, his stride is so fluid and long. I can build up a head of steam but sometimes feel like Wyle E Coyote with the legs spinning before I actually take off.

If anyone has any tips on how to lengthen out my stride, I would appreciate it

Dan Costanza who is on the Mens Olympic team and plays for like the Adult Mudcats team. He has built a new league for people in the Illinios area, and he teaches clinics for it too. What he has us do even at the age of 16, and even him being on the Mens olympic team, is skate end to end, slowly but fully extending your leg. Go down and back on Just extending your right leg and then down and back on just y our left leg. Having your knees bent correctly is an important detail.

He's considered one of the best roller hockey players in the nation, so if hes still doing these "silly kiddy drills" no reason for us not to.

If you are in the DC area, there are various clinics at some rinks. Where do you play?

Laura Stamm video has lots of drills to work on.

If you are spinning when you start off its probably because you are not starting correctly. Pros will actually start off and run a couple steps on their toes. But don't just try that. Imagine walking 3 or 4 paces on your inside edges with your toes pointed outward at about 45degrees. Your first couple steps should leave a straight gouge on the ice that is small with no slippage. It should be steps at the beginning, not strides. Laura Stamm DVD covers that pretty well as well as all the aspects of an efficient stride. Wendy Marco in Va runs a really good clinic. Andy at Laurel Ice rink also runs a good Sat morning clinic.

-Make sure you start your stride with your foot directly under you. Nearly all of us tend to not bring our feet fully back, usually the foot opposite our diminant hand. We lose lots of stride length this way.

-Start your stride with weight mostly on the heel then as you push out gradually transfer the pressure forward toward the toe. This will maximize the effeciency of your stride

-At the end of the stride give a little toe flick.

-Bring the foot straight back, no chicken kicks.

- STAY LOW! Try a simple test: with a fairly straight stance, see how far you can push back a hockey glove while standing still. Then bend lower and see how far you can push it. Some times a graphic example works wonders :)

Is it me or on the treadmill, they are pushing back instead of on the side(angled)? I'm not sure if these things are that good for hockey, a lot of people on here would say it's bad to play roller because it's not the same skating technique, but this looks to be pretty much the same.

Cavs, you just don't bend your knees and push, you gotta think more than that, although bending your knees is a big +. you gotta push with all the blade(In 3 portions, the back, the mid and the toe), at the right angle, etc.

Allsmokenopancake,

I would recomend you get Laura Stamm books, it's pretty good.

i've heard of athletes running down hill to lengthen their stride. I can't do it though, it seems to hurt my knees and ankles, but then again the hill here might be too steep.

My school's trainer had us do split squats to get us to strengthen our strides fully.

Some people do with out weights , but its better to hold weights when you do it.

1112290445_8176.jpg

Just try to stretch your back leg as far back as you can. If you want more info just google "split squats". Its an excercise that really helped me and a couple of my friends get quicker on the ice.

My school's trainer had us do split squats to get us to strengthen our strides fully.

Some people do with out weights , but its better to hold weights when you do it.

1112290445_8176.jpg

Just try to stretch your back leg as far back as you can. If you want more info just google "split squats". Its an excercise that really helped me and a couple of my friends get quicker on the ice.

i'll second that.

Is it me or on the treadmill, they are pushing back instead of on the side(angled)? I'm not sure if these things are that good for hockey, a lot of people on here would say it's bad to play roller because it's not the same skating technique, but this looks to be pretty much the same.

Cavs, you just don't bend your knees and push, you gotta think more than that, although bending your knees is a big +. you gotta push with all the blade(In 3 portions, the back, the mid and the toe), at the right angle, etc.

Allsmokenopancake,

I know how to skate thanks bud.........but 99% of people out there stand straight up with horrible posture, or only bend slightly. Unless your sitting almost as if your in a chair, you WILL NOT maximize stride length.

i've heard of athletes running down hill to lengthen their stride. I can't do it though, it seems to hurt my knees and ankles, but then again the hill here might be too steep.

The hill must be no more than a 2-3% grade. Running down a hill any steeper is going to cause injury. Artificially increasing stride length will cause injury.

From CharlieFrancis.com:

stride lenght is improved by increasing the amount of force which you apply to the ground.this reaction drives the bodys COM farther forward thus lenghtening the stride naturally.so the more power the greater SL leading to overall faster sprints.

This can apply to hockey as well. Get stronger then more powerful and you will have more explosive strides leading to an increase in stride length.

Allsmokenopancake,

I know how to skate thanks bud.........but 99% of people out there stand straight up with horrible posture, or only bend slightly. Unless your sitting almost as if your in a chair, you WILL NOT maximize stride length.

yeah, completely agree, bend knees gives you more stability, power, agility etc...

That video is funny! Watch the kids hanging off the wall, they are NOT getting a full extension.

The first thing you need to work on is flexibility, or else you (like the jamokes in the video) will not physically be able to extend fully! Hip flexors, hamstrings, etc.

I don't agree with that 80-20 rule. Every video of good skaters I've seen their glide foot is 100% under.

I have spent a lot of time watching the fastest NHL skaters, and I'll tell you, some of them have very poor form. They just somehow learned how to go fast in spite of themselves.

But, if you are the average jamoke, a good long stride with a little tip flick at the end, and bringing the skate all the way back to almost touch the other skate--all yield better speed.