Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

Anyone dye their springs? I just got my A7's the other day and when I dyed the frames I decided to dye the spring as well. There definitely seems to be almost no rocker movement right now. I think they'll loosen up after a while, but now I want to try some non-dyed springs just to see if the change has to do with dying the springs or with tolerance difference in the A7 vs A8.

Anyone dye their springs? I just got my A7's the other day and when I dyed the frames I decided to dye the spring as well. There definitely seems to be almost no rocker movement right now. I think they'll loosen up after a while, but now I want to try some non-dyed springs just to see if the change has to do with dying the springs or with tolerance difference in the A7 vs A8.

Did you check the rocker movement before you dyed them? I remember when i first got my sprungs I didn't think they were going to work because of how slightly the arms moved. They will loosen up a little, but I think a large portion of it is that they really don't need to move that much to do their job, and they'll move a bit more once you get skating on them. I wouldn't worry about it. Plus the more you think about it the more likely you will develop a fake problem thats only in your brain :)

Did you check the rocker movement before you dyed them? I remember when i first got my sprungs I didn't think they were going to work because of how slightly the arms moved. They will loosen up a little, but I think a large portion of it is that they really don't need to move that much to do their job, and they'll move a bit more once you get skating on them. I wouldn't worry about it. Plus the more you think about it the more likely you will develop a fake problem thats only in your brain :)

I didn't skate on the A7's before dying them. When I had the A8's on the same boots (same rockers and springs for that matter), I felt and liked the rocker movement right away. I skated on them about 3 games. It did seem like the A7's started rockering a little more towards the end of the day yesterday. We'll see how they feel moving forward. As for fake problems, I'll take any excuse I can get.

Basically, Keith mentioned to tape a piece of paper and cut it so that it wraps around the spring. Then put the spring between the arms and install them that way. The arms would 'crimp' the spring, especially with the groove area of the springs.

That should remove the additional movement in the rocker arms.

I just tried the mod with some painter tape, worked pretty well to stay in place as installation was much easier than paper. Very tight fit getting them back together, and the slack the arms had while moving them with your hands is all gone. I'll skate on 'em tomorrow but so far looks like a good fix. Thanks guys for the tip! Love these Sprungs, I'm about to start skating on my new missions I dunno if I'll be able to survive without the feeling. Keep you posted . . .

I dont know if this has been talked about (too many pages to go through if it was sorry) but there is another company that makes something close to this. has anyone have any exp. with them.

I dont know if this has been talked about (too many pages to go through if it was sorry) but there is another company that makes something close to this. has anyone have any exp. with them.

Don't worry it's been discussed, the idea behind them is kind of similar but very different idea behind them...

Also it looks like they still havn't made a frame for use in hockey LOL

Don't worry it's been discussed, the idea behind them is kind of similar but very different idea behind them...

uh.. what?

both are made to feel more "ice-like" than conventional frames...

Sorry, I see what you ment, I was kind of tierd when I posted that, I was ment to say the idea behind them is similar, but the way it is implemented is very different :)

skates.jpg

my new skates

Boot: Mission Fuel 120XP

Frame: Sprung A7

Bearings: Bones Super Swiss 6

Wheels: Labeda Gripper 80mm 76A

How do you like them? Can you feel the rocker? Have you skated on A6 or A8? I found the rocker on the A7's is very dialed down from the A8. I guess in order to use the same rockers and all 80mm wheels they have to be or wheel 2 and 3 would touch when loaded. I'm thinking of selling mine.

skates.jpg

my new skates

Boot: Mission Fuel 120XP

Frame: Sprung A7

Bearings: Bones Super Swiss 6

Wheels: Labeda Gripper 80mm 76A

How do you like them? Can you feel the rocker? Have you skated on A6 or A8? I found the rocker on the A7's is very dialed down from the A8. I guess in order to use the same rockers and all 80mm wheels they have to be or wheel 2 and 3 would touch when loaded. I'm thinking of selling mine.

They aren't dialed down, they're stiffer, with more pre-load. The front and rear action is unchanged from the A8, but the center wheel stops were raised microns, so the center wheels might not ground out against the frame as they can with the A6 and A8... depending on how you skate. As always the action will extend as the mold edges in the material flatten. Because of the length of the A8 wheelbase, there is more leverage on the center wheels, as opposed to the A7 with the wheels right next to each other, helping share the load. All of the weight load is compacted compared to the A8.

They aren't dialed down, they're stiffer, with more pre-load. The front and rear action is unchanged from the A8, but the center wheel stops were raised microns, so the center wheels might not ground out against the frame as they can with the A6 and A8... depending on how you skate. As always the action will extend as the mold edges in the material flatten. Because of the length of the A8 wheelbase, there is more leverage on the center wheels, as opposed to the A7 with the wheels right next to each other, helping share the load. All of the weight load is compacted compared to the A8.

I am 250 lbs and I can barely feel the rockers moving. The only time I can feel them (and it's subtle) is when I roll over imperfections on the court. I feel like I could turn on the A8's much better than the A7's. In fact, when I cut hard, my wheels plow, like a car understeering. I'm starting to wonder if the springs stiffened from heat cycling when I dyed it. I like the at speed performance of the A8's, but the foot contact patch made it tough to maneuver at low speed. There is a nice different in what I can feel as the contact patch with the A7's, but I feel like the performance isn't as good. If I can't feel the rocker, then the chassis just feels like an oversized hummr. I'm wondering what to try next :(

I am 250 lbs and I can barely feel the rockers moving. The only time I can feel them (and it's subtle) is when I roll over imperfections on the court. I feel like I could turn on the A8's much better than the A7's. In fact, when I cut hard, my wheels plow, like a car understeering. I'm starting to wonder if the springs stiffened from heat cycling when I dyed it. I like the at speed performance of the A8's, but the foot contact patch made it tough to maneuver at low speed. There is a nice different in what I can feel as the contact patch with the A7's, but I feel like the performance isn't as good. If I can't feel the rocker, then the chassis just feels like an oversized hummr. I'm wondering what to try next :(

Beats me. Maybe your springs are cooked. Are they in upside down? Don't laugh, everybody that puts them together does it... and does it. Makes them very hard to assemble, but it can be done. They don't skate well. You should email me so we can figure it out.

The space between the center wheels is designed so 80.5mm wheels don't touch when the action is pressed up to the stops. Revisions are closest to 80mm, followed by Rink Rat then Labedas. Joe and I are on Labedas and even they aren't touching. It's easy to check the movement. Without springs, the second wheel should push up until the top of it is well above the plane of the front mount. Number three still moves up the same. Front and rear unchanged. I can get Grippers to touch in the middle without springs in, but they still turn.

Another skater opinion. Mine are fantastic. When I stand on them, I can still go from four to three to too wheels in either direction, just by shifting my massive 155 pounds. To me, they are the best version of my idea that I've ever skated on. They are more agile, quicker, more effortless and more comfortable to skate in than my A8's and A6s. But it took me some time to get used to not having the security of the long wheel base and soft action transfer that I get on the A8s.

I will totally agree with you on one point. I can't feel it working any more, which has been the aim all along. It's supposed to be invisible. The biggest one time change happened (way back) when we jumped the spring durometer up. The big smooth action I loved went away, with its security. When I went to turn I suddenly turned. And I didn't feel it move... until the new hard spring broke all the plastic parts trying to contain it.

As to "oversized hummr", you seriously need to get a pair that fit you so you can skate on them, then your A7s again. I'm not going to tell anybody what they should or should not feel when on these things. Joe was skating on A8s with 76mm wheels because he didn't like the 80mm height on them. He had to get over the all 80s thing, then it was the different wheel base. He skates way too much each week and the transition took him a couple of days. He's about 225. He and I think they are the best yet, and the best for our size feet. And we both like it better when we can't feel it working. You have to average out mine and Joe's opinion, because he is an excellent skater and player and I'm a piece of shit on wheels. With the number of pairs out there, suddenly, there's bound to be some more opinions soon.:)

I hope I come across as wanting to like my sprungs, and not condescending. I really like how my A8's felt. I was hoping to like my A7's more. My last hope is to buy new springs. I hadn't skated on the springs with the A7's before I put them in boiling water. They were find for the A8's. I did notice the rockers fit more snugly in the A7's than the A8. I'll see what happens with new springs. I don't think my springs are upside down. They have the flat, protruded side up. Right now my old skates are code 1's with all 80's except for a 76mm wheel up front. So I'm skating on something with a decent size contact patch for comparison.

I'm still waiting on my mounting guy as he is having problems taking off the lightspeed of my XXV's he said the copper rivets are fused together. I'm note worried as Im getting them mounted for free :D

Also it looks like they still havn't made a frame for use in hockey LOL

Yes they have... Here's a promo vid. (And NO, it's not from their website)

. Forget about the guy skating on the sidewalk, he's using a speedskating style of skating.