Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

I'd like to get sprung but the only spare skates I have are crapped out Mission BSX. So I'm planning on buying a pair of skates to put sprung on. I'm looking for used skates for cheap, hopefully, but am open to any new skates suggestions that aren't ridiculous (such as buying 500 dollar ice skates to put wheels on...)

My first time so I've no idea what's going on. Any suggestions?

Buy from someone on here. A lot of guys here sell their used skates for pretty good deals in the 'Sell' forum. Just picked up a pair myself, and there's quite a few more on there...

... or look for a closeout pair of skates that you can actually TRY ON. whatever you do, make sure to try a pair on before you buy and if all else fails, buy from inline or ice warehouse because they have free return shipping.

I will have a pair of black dyed A8 frames (no rockers or hardware) if anyone wants to grab them for cheap after I get my A7's. They were used twice...$25 shipped

Just broke two rocker arms in my last tournament. Need to get replacements now. Thats the bad thing with these frames. As much as i love using them, they break easy and are a b*tch to fix.

We've learned a lot since the A6 was designed, and the pivot knuckles are going to be made bigger. This has always been their weak spot, and it is because they are too small for the plastic to flow into them properly. When the shoot is perfect, they don't break, but it is too small a percentage of the run and the bad ones are a bit hard to spot. So we're starting the fix now. I had to get the A7 out of the way first.

Meanwhile, any breaks are covered by the warranty and when you email for replacements you'll also get backups. All A6s come with extra arms in the package until this is totally sorted out, and it will be fixed. Fortunately, the A7 is already taking over a major part of former A6 sales because it fits the largest segment of the market, and it has the A8 arms. sales@sprung-inline.com

Just broke two rocker arms in my last tournament. Need to get replacements now. Thats the bad thing with these frames. As much as i love using them, they break easy and are a b*tch to fix.

We've learned a lot since the A6 was designed, and the pivot knuckles are going to be made bigger. This has always been their weak spot, and it is because they are too small for the plastic to flow into them properly. When the shoot is perfect, they don't break, but it is too small a percentage of the run and the bad ones are a bit hard to spot. So we're starting the fix now. I had to get the A7 out of the way first.

Meanwhile, any breaks are covered by the warranty and when you email for replacements you'll also get backups. All A6s come with extra arms in the package until this is totally sorted out, and it will be fixed. Fortunately, the A7 is already taking over a major part of former A6 sales because it fits the largest segment of the market, and it has the A8 arms. sales@sprung-inline.com

That's good to hear. Unfortunately i did not buy it from you or your website. I bought it from Joe Norris down in Skate San Diego. He did give me one extra but like i said i actually broke 2.

To the earlier post right after mine, i am not sure, how can i tell which version i have?

That's good to hear. Unfortunately i did not buy it from you or your website. I bought it from Joe Norris down in Skate San Diego. He did give me one extra but like i said i actually broke 2.

To the earlier post right after mine, i am not sure, how can i tell which version i have?

The warranty is good anyway, and you can get more from him when he gets them in a day or so. He's waiting on a shipment of a bunch of stuff. Or you can email me at the above address with your shipping address and I'll send you some.

Last Saturday I dropped my skates off with Joe Norris down at Skate San Diego. I'm upgrading from the first gen Sprungs which I've skated on for a long time now, since before this Sprung thread started. Despite breaking those first gen ones (A6's I guess they're called) a few times, I love em. I undoubtedly won't skate on anything but Sprungs. I've tried my fair share of roller hockey frames, it's a night and day difference, seriously a disadvantage to skate on anything but Sprungs. I can't believe they've been upgraded to be much more durable with all 80mm wheels... No doubt that I'm stoked to get new ones.

One question Keith; I'm confused as to what size I need for my size 9 Bauer 8090's?

This is what it says on sprung-inline.com:

small All-80 A7

# Uses A8 80-mm Rocker Arms

# Fits Bauer sizes 8.5 through 10.5

Joe says I need a medium frame?

Last Saturday I dropped my skates off with Joe Norris down at Skate San Diego. I'm upgrading from the first gen Sprungs which I've skated on for a long time now, since before this Sprung thread started. Despite breaking those first gen ones (A6's I guess they're called) a few times, I love em. I undoubtedly won't skate on anything but Sprungs. I've tried my fair share of roller hockey frames, it's a night and day difference, seriously a disadvantage to skate on anything but Sprungs. I can't believe they've been upgraded to be much more durable with all 80mm wheels... No doubt that I'm stoked to get new ones.

One question Keith; I'm confused as to what size I need for my size 9 Bauer 8090's?

This is what it says on sprung-inline.com:

small All-80 A7

# Uses A8 80-mm Rocker Arms

# Fits Bauer sizes 8.5 through 10.5

Joe says I need a medium frame?

The A7 is the new medium and it is what you want for your size 9's. Many more years of better in store for you withe these. :) :)

Got my skates back today. (I got a little note in the mailbox saying they tried to deliver it but i wasn't home yesterday). My boss sprungs look even better in person. Just from skating around the house in them I could tell the Sprungs is what they were missing.

Has anyone ever tried filling the sprung logos in the rocker arms with hot glue, dying, and then removing the hot glue, leaving the logo still white? I was also thinking about dying the arms half black? Anyone ever tried either of these, or think they'll work?

I check this thread everyday even when there are no new posts, so I think I've got to get me some sprungs...

my main concern aside from the mounting, is how are they for tourquing under 220lbs skaters?

I check this thread everyday even when there are no new posts, so I think I've got to get me some sprungs...

my main concern aside from the mounting, is how are they for tourquing under 220lbs skaters?

Granted I only used my A8's twice, I'm 250ish. I thought they felt rather solid as far as side to side forces go. Once my A7's show, I'm going to be on them at least a couple of times a week.

Got my skates back today. (I got a little note in the mailbox saying they tried to deliver it but i wasn't home yesterday). My boss sprungs look even better in person. Just from skating around the house in them I could tell the Sprungs is what they were missing.

Has anyone ever tried filling the sprung logos in the rocker arms with hot glue, dying, and then removing the hot glue, leaving the logo still white? I was also thinking about dying the arms half black? Anyone ever tried either of these, or think they'll work?

Considering you need to dye them in boiling water, my concern would be if the hot glue held up :D

Yeah, I figured i'd used high-temp hot glue, but test a piece of a glue stick and see if it melts. I know thats how lacrosse players do the lacrosse heads.

And as far as big boys playing on sprungs, I are one. I in a year and a half i broke 1 rocker arm. I skate pretty hard (250lbs) and run in to the wall feet first a bit. After breaking an arm i contacted Keith, got two more in the mail within 3 days. Haven't broken one since. I think that was around last february. I am very confident in the durability of Sprungs. Plus i've messed up a few regular chassis in my days. Breaking a rocker arm is much MUCH easier and cheaper to fix than a regular chassis.

Yeah, I figured i'd used high-temp hot glue, but test a piece of a glue stick and see if it melts. I know thats how lacrosse players do the lacrosse heads.

ah, gotcha :)

I was thinking like "wtf, craft store hot glue" :o

it may be a little different for lax sticks because they are really made of "nylon" but i used craft store hot glue on my lax stick and the boiling water did nothing. although the water was sitting in a bucket outside so it could have decreased in temp.

heres how you dye a lax stick. this should help dyeing sprungs and he has other videos with using hot glue so check them out

I'm getting more and more used to my Sprungs and holy crap....I will NEVER go back to Hi-Lo's. The control you have in forward crossovers/acceleration especially is amazing. I seriously, honestly cannot recommend them enough.

I'm about 215lb-220lb, depending on who I'm talking to :)

The first generation sprungs had a little torque to them, but with the current A6 you shouldnt have any issues. I'd dare say that the A7 and A8 would be much better, as they have beefier arms and a stiffer spring. I'm pretty hard on my skates, and I think I put a lot of pressure on them during hard stops and turns.

Overall, I'll only be using sprungs... only time I wont use them is when playing on a super abrasive surface back home (similar to blacktop).

Alright now I've got a question.

I check this thread daily, as I've been skating on Sprungs for a while now and love seeing new people converting their skates to these chassis and loving it. I currently skate on the a8 frame with newer arms so I run all 80's across, love the set-up. Joe was right it really is 100% better than these chassis with 76's.

My question is lately, maybe in the last few months, my skates have been clicking alot more when I step. At first I was convinced it was the bearings, or the axle tightness, but I thought it was okay because especially with these chassis, there's no reason to over-tighten the hardware and strip anything. What I have discovered though is that I now have play on every single arm and they are just barely loose enough to move back and forth front to back. Is this okay? Is there a way to help this or correct it to make it tighter? The skates still function well, it's just something I figured I'd look into now since I'm the kind of guy that doesn't want extra noise in my equipment when it's not necessary. Lemme know thanks guys . . . (Keith).

I check this thread daily, as I've been skating on Sprungs for a while now and love seeing new people converting their skates to these chassis and loving it. I currently skate on the a8 frame with newer arms so I run all 80's across, love the set-up. Joe was right it really is 100% better than these chassis with 76's.

My question is lately, maybe in the last few months, my skates have been clicking alot more when I step. At first I was convinced it was the bearings, or the axle tightness, but I thought it was okay because especially with these chassis, there's no reason to over-tighten the hardware and strip anything. What I have discovered though is that I now have play on every single arm and they are just barely loose enough to move back and forth front to back. Is this okay? Is there a way to help this or correct it to make it tighter? The skates still function well, it's just something I figured I'd look into now since I'm the kind of guy that doesn't want extra noise in my equipment when it's not necessary. Lemme know thanks guys . . . (Keith).

After a lot of use and time, the stops on the rocker arms and the stops on the inside of the frames compress and wear down some. Even though you have more recent arms, your frames were some of the very first ones out there, and they are bound to be a little loose by now, even with brand new arms. Typing paper shims wrapped around the springs will tighten them up again. Joe or Adrian can show you how to do it. It's also posted on the thread a couple of times.

After a lot of use and time, the stops on the rocker arms and the stops on the inside of the frames compress and wear down some. Even though you have more recent arms, your frames were some of the very first ones out there, and they are bound to be a little loose by now, even with brand new arms. Typing paper shims wrapped around the springs will tighten them up again. Joe or Adrian can show you how to do it. It's also posted on the thread a couple of times.

Thanks, I'll for sure do that, can you link me it, or tell me where it is in the thread.

Thanks, I'll for sure do that, can you link me it, or tell me where it is in the thread.

I am having the same problem with my Sprungs... Anyways, I've tried using the 'search' function to find the specific thread to resovle the issue, but I couldn't find it. I do remember reading somewhere about the using paper shims to tighten the spring tolerances, but couldn't remember where. This post has just refreshed my memory about it. Thanks Keith (always great service... As usual)

I was just about to ask the same question. My A6s are working awesome but I was getting some slop in the front rockers. I'll have to give the shims a try and see what happens.

I've dyed the arms half royal blue-to-white. It was a definately a practice in patience, but they turned out looking what I wanted them to look... Good. But no I didn't try the hot glue method, anyone else?