Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

I was just looking at this pic on one of my flyers. They are a very early screw mount.

Yup... that was mine.

Keith, need some A6 arms, possibly a couple of A7s as well.

Congrats to CJ, Jamie, Chad and all the rest of the Mudcats. There's no pro like an old pro... that's still used to winning. ;)))

wow check out the names on both teams.what talent.would have loved to watch that game.

In case you were at NARCh and noticed a Sprung team in the Platinum Division, that was the Arizona Phlyers rockin our jerseys, courtesy of Coach Tommy Touhy, who at 18 is a four and a half year veteran Sprungster.

These are Tommy's second pair of boots. The frames (with prototype A6 arms) are still good from the first pair but the boots were toilet paper. He's on A7s now.

195A7s.jpg

Keith,

How much longer is the wheel base of the A7 compared to the A6? I'm currently on A6's, and like the feel. That said, I spend a lot of time wrestling for position in the slot and was pondering the slightly longer chassis for just a little extra stability when I'm clearing guys from in front of my goalie.

*Edited because I refilled my rye and coke.

Keith,

How much longer is the wheel base of the A7 compared to the A6? I'm currently on A6's, and like the feel. That said, I spend a lot of time wrestling for position in the slot and was pondering the slightly longer chassis for just a little extra stability when I'm clearing guys from in front of my goalie.

*Edited because I refilled my rye and coke.

A6 Wheelbase of 9 5/8" - uses 76mm wheels

A7 Wheelbase of 10" - uses 80mm wheels

A8 Wheelbase of 10 17/32". - uses 80mm wheels

Size 9 Bauers. I tried A8's before the A7 came out; they felt too long for a small court game with lots of stop and go. Loved the A6's for almost three years now, but time for some new skates w/ new frames.

just about to order my a6's for my old pair of reebok 5k size 7.5 :D

can't wait, just wante some advice on how to dye them, cos i want my a6's to be black instead of white with a bit of red!

just about to order my a6's for my old pair of reebok 5k size 7.5 :D

can't wait, just wante some advice on how to dye them, cos i want my a6's to be black instead of white with a bit of red!

also, how do i go about ordering them, is it www.sprung-inline.com ?

Size 9 Bauers. I tried A8's before the A7 came out; they felt too long for a small court game with lots of stop and go. Loved the A6's for almost three years now, but time for some new skates w/ new frames.

Go with the A7, they should be sweet. I've tried all 3 of the frame lengths, and found that the A7 was the best for my size 8.5D Bauer foot. I do still have an A6 kicking around somewhere that I use for fun, but the A7 have been the best bet so far. I agree that the A8 felt too long, but stopping on them was amazing.

If you want to have the best between the A7 and A6, get the A7 frames, and put on some 76mm wheels. Thats the combo I'm using now, and its fantastic.

In case you were at NARCh and noticed a Sprung team in the Platinum Division, that was the Arizona Phlyers rockin our jerseys, courtesy of Coach Tommy Touhy, who at 18 is a four and a half year veteran Sprungster.

These are Tommy's second pair of boots. The frames (with prototype A6 arms) are still good from the first pair but the boots were toilet paper. He's on A7s now.

195A7s.jpg

Did you take some pictures of the team.I wanna see how they looked in the sprung jerseys.

Go with the A7, they should be sweet. I've tried all 3 of the frame lengths, and found that the A7 was the best for my size 8.5D Bauer foot. I do still have an A6 kicking around somewhere that I use for fun, but the A7 have been the best bet so far. I agree that the A8 felt too long, but stopping on them was amazing.

If you want to have the best between the A7 and A6, get the A7 frames, and put on some 76mm wheels. Thats the combo I'm using now, and its fantastic.

Great minds think alike - that's what I had decided on. We play on a small surface, so I like the smaller wheels to accelerate better with all the stop and go. But, our playoffs and final are on a full sized rink. A7's would let me throw some 80's in for better speed on the bigger surface. Thanks for the info and input. I just picked up some Vapor XVI's on sale, so I'll post pics once I've got some A7's mounted.

Great minds think alike - that's what I had decided on. We play on a small surface, so I like the smaller wheels to accelerate better with all the stop and go. But, our playoffs and final are on a full sized rink. A7's would let me throw some 80's in for better speed on the bigger surface. Thanks for the info and input. I just picked up some Vapor XVI's on sale, so I'll post pics once I've got some A7's mounted.

You might have to drill a hole thru the rear part of the chassis.. near the back if you cant mount all 4 holes. No harm done, I've done it on 3 sets of A7 with no issues.

Just used the sprungs for the first time last night. Skating forward was harder than I expected compared to a normal chassis. Legs really felt tired after the session. It might be that the bearing are still new and need to break in though. But I liked the transitions and turning. Felt really smooth. Going to give it more time to see if it gets better. I'm already a slow player so getting slower might not help much. :) Oh, we play on an outdoor court with cracks on the cement. A couple of times, the front wheels seemed to get stuck and I nearly fell forward. Doesn't usually happen on a normal chassis.

I felt the same when when I tried my sprungs for the first the first couple months. I also installed new bearings, and I'm pretty sure it was just a bearing break in period. I was not happy with the noticable decline in speed, but once the bearings broke it the increased mobility is amazing..I will never go back to another chassis again.

I felt the same when when I tried my sprungs for the first the first couple months. I also installed new bearings, and I'm pretty sure it was just a bearing break in period. I was not happy with the noticable decline in speed, but once the bearings broke it the increased mobility is amazing..I will never go back to another chassis again.

I have always used Labeda Titanium abec 7s, and there is no bearing break in period. They spin and wear and spin. Some of the things that will slow down Sprungs are the wheels rubbing, broken or crap bearings that don't spin and then seize up, spacers that are too wide or two narrow along with bearing seats stretched in the wheels. There's also excessive flash on some wheels, which is sometimes inside with the spacer and this prevents the spacer from turning freely with the wheel. Unlike aluminum frames, you can't bend in the frame so it pinches the bearings if you overtighten the wheel axles.

Slow and boggy is a different matter. Extra soft wheels eat up the suspension and they feel like skating in mud. Sprungs are made for harder wheels with less bend, so the suspension does the work and the wheels stay straight and roll. Soft wheels will make the suspension feel like a '69 Cadillac, including the forward and rear dive.

Maybe the hardness of the wheels are the problem. I bought a set of hotshots 78A which I normally like for rigid frames, but they might be too soft for me this time. I'm using bevo bearings with floating spacers..first time trying out floating spacers. Would these make a difference? I'm thinking that I should skate more like an ice player and keep my feet moving instead of gliding (which happens alot on inline skates) all the time.

I have always used Labeda Titanium abec 7s, and there is no bearing break in period. They spin and wear and spin. Some of the things that will slow down Sprungs are the wheels rubbing, broken or crap bearings that don't spin and then seize up, spacers that are too wide or two narrow along with bearing seats stretched in the wheels. There's also excessive flash on some wheels, which is sometimes inside with the spacer and this prevents the spacer from turning freely with the wheel. Unlike aluminum frames, you can't bend in the frame so it pinches the bearings if you overtighten the wheel axles.

Slow and boggy is a different matter. Extra soft wheels eat up the suspension and they feel like skating in mud. Sprungs are made for harder wheels with less bend, so the suspension does the work and the wheels stay straight and roll. Soft wheels will make the suspension feel like a '69 Cadillac, including the forward and rear dive.

i understand what you are saying about wanting the suspension to displace, not the wheel. however, don't you still need a soft wheel for traction purposes? i don't see how you can get around that. i've been using gripper millenium xtra soft with my sprungs (for indoor play).

i understand what you are saying about wanting the suspension to displace, not the wheel. however, don't you still need a soft wheel for traction purposes? i don't see how you can get around that. i've been using gripper millenium xtra soft with my sprungs (for indoor play).

your weight has alot to do with your wheel selection,I play around alot with 78A and 76A with the sprungs,soft in the front for push off grip and harder in the back.just finding the right combo with wheels and of course price.

I weigh 155 and I only use soft vs xsoft Labedas. I learned the controlled drift with Grippers, and they cut true to the turn. The amount I'm playing, I may never wear out my Addictions, even though the same amount of rink time has turned the mold line into a series of cracks and tears on other brands and stiles. Same wheel front to back with no mixing and my rocker arms are burnished up into the axle ends with no slipping. Sprungs can be pretty tough on rear wheels if you really lay into them a lot cause you're basically on your rear wheel with some floor contact on the third wheel.

I've never quite understood the bearing thing RE spin. I've seen so many skates with new no-spin wheels that it's staggering. I tend to think that if you put in new bearings that spin like they have 90 wt gear oil, you're not going to have a very fast skate even if you weigh 250. There's also a million frozen bearings out there at work every other day or so. And bearings filled with chunks of themselves. I watched an excellent player reverse carefully cause one of his rear wheels barely turned, and I knew cause it was an old problem he was still skating through. Didn't stop him from playing great, but some players have rust balls for bearings all the time.