Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

Bringin out my SyNergies with sprungs for the first time in two years. Cant wait!

Oh, and if anyone wants a free pair of first gen. Sprungs (A6 I believe), PM me. Keith was gracious enough to give me a few pairs to test when they came out, so I figured I would repay the favor. All they need is one rocker pin. You pay shipping

Bringin out my SyNergies with sprungs for the first time in two years. Cant wait!

Oh, and if anyone wants a free pair of first gen. Sprungs (A6 I believe), PM me. Keith was gracious enough to give me a few pairs to test when they came out, so I figured I would repay the favor. All they need is one rocker pin. You pay shipping

PM sent.

PM sent. Skates coming in 2 days and can't keep waiting for the A6X's :unsure:

About 5 weeks ago I felt like there was no spring on my Sprungs from the front rocker arms on my right skate. It felt like my right skate had a flat tire and I had a difficult time skating forward. Backwards skating was fine as most of the pressure was applied to the back wheels. Looking at the frame and rocker arms without taking it apart there seemed to be no issues other than the front rocker arm easily wiggling forward and back. I checked the pivot pin and the bolt was still tight and secure. The next week game comes and I forget about the previous week and of course I have the same issues. I was skating backward when I hit a crack on the rink surface and ended up losing my balance and hit the floor falling backwards. I got up and could not skate at all because the rear rocker arm on my right skate was broken. I was done for the game. I removed both front and rear rocker arms from my right skate. Both of the rear rocker arms were completely broken where the pivot pin goes through like someone took a tiny sledgehammer to it. The front rocker arm showed a crack that was developing which explains why I felt like I had a flat tire. The strange thing I remember is that this same thing happened to me last year around the same time. Almost like deja vu! I hit a crack (different part of the rink) and fell backwards and the same rear rocker arm broke. I also had that feeling of a flat tire on the front rocker arm before my rear rocker arm broke from the crack on the concrete surface. I removed the rocker arms and discovered the same thing. I ended up buying replacment rocker arms for the right skate and all was good until recently. Okay so here are the conditions that I play in for this rink. ...It's an outdoor rink with a smooth concrete surface. It's not completely smooth as there are lots of cracks in the concrete caused from being exposed to snow in the winter months and heat in the summer. We had just got through a huge snow storm and the rink was finally cleared of snow to play. I had been skating on the rink all year round and had no issues up until the winter times. Both times I had been playing in 30 degrees temps for at least 2 games and then I felt the flat tire feeling in the front rockers and then BAM! my rear rockers break on a crack while skating backward. Now what I'm wondering is if playing in 30 degree temps may have had an effect on the rocker arms causing the material to weaken due to the pressures of skating? I am 5' 9" and weigh 185 lbs. My skating style is not too aggressive as I mostly play defense but I do push off with my right foot to start skating backwards for defense. Maybe the rink surface with all of it's cracks are just too much shock to absorb for the rocker arms? I'm sure I hit those cracks for every game all year round. I'm also playing on an A6 frame. I'm guessing that A6 rocker arms are either hard to come by now or no longer exist. If that's the case then I can't use my skates at the moment until I get some new parts or replace with an aluminum frame. I would rather not go back as I do love skating on Sprungs! But if it's true I can use A7 rocker arms on the A6 frame then I'll switch out the arms from an A7 set up Keith did for me recently for my indoor skates as a temporary solution while I put in an order for some A7 rocker arms. Can someone please confirm if that will work? I would like to not have to go through this dilemma again. If my frame breaks again (next year around winter) I'm afraid I might have to go with an aluminum frame for this outdoor parking lot of a rink. :(
Being winter time, air is very dry this time of year, especially indoors where you probably keep your skates. From what Sprungster has written somewhwere in this long thread, nylon can dry out and become brittle which makes them prone to breaking. It's good preventive maintenance to wrap the frames up overnight in a damp cloth, especially in dry climates or during the dry winter months.

I don't know how playing in sub-freezing temperatures can affect the frames though. I usually play ice hockey at those temperatures, and roller when the temperature goes above freezing (0 celsius, 32 farenheit).

The weather in Perth is very dry... about 30% humidity on a regular basis. I do maintenance on the chassis every once in a while, stripping everything down to its piece parts... just chuck all the rocker arms and springs into a small container of water. As for the main chassis frame, I just put that in a basin of water (still attached to the boots). Clean it every once in a while to get rid of all the dust that collects in the crevices.

It's been a while since I've paid attention to anything roller hockey related so I thought I'd provide a quick review of my Sprung A6s that I've been using for the past couple years (3 years? wow).

Experience wise, I've played Roller Hockey for 10yrs, pretty much since I was a Peewee ice player. My brother was a NIHA/Narch guy so I got into Roller through him and ended up spending almost as much time playing roller as I did ice. Now I play more roller than ice, and I'm pretty happy with that. I've used all kinds of skates/chassis: Mission Proto Vs, VSIs (Hi-Lo), RBKs (Tri-di) and Red Star e-frames on old ice boots. I was deciding between the Hummer, Vanguard and Sprungs 3 years ago when I wanted a frame for my one90s and eventually went with the Sprungs.

I'd have to try the other two before making a real comparison, but given how much I like the Sprungs I probably won't give them a chance. I love Sprungs. They take away a lot of the 'clunkiness' in inline play that ice players tend to complain about (I know I did). You can cut turns much sharper in them without skidding out, and stopping feels smoother than on traditional frames. I'd say Scott Neidermayer would love these frames, because they almost encourage you to have a smooth stride in order to maximize speed. A choppy inline stride (you know the type of stride that makes ice players cringe?) is wasted in a frame like this. Once you get the hang of them (takes a few minutes) you'll be getting great speed out of the frame.

The weight of the frame doesn't bother me, if anything the one90s being fairly light helps compensate.

My only real concern with my Sprungs has been durability. When I'm playing roller, I'm playing at a competitive level, and while I'm only 170lbs I tend to be hard on my skates. I breakdown stiff boots quickly, and low quality wheels I break often (I've broken about 8 labeda dynastys). With my Sprungs I've broken rocker arms and pivot pins, and while I love using them, I'm a little scared every time I play that I might break something and be forced to leave the game early. It's worth nothing that I never compromise the frame, I've always used an all 76mm setup (usually hotshots or variants or combination of the two). Prior to the Sprungs the only problem I ever had was taking a shot off a tri-di that dented the frame making it unusable. Also, I bought some extra parts that have lasted me until now (I'm down to my last pivot pin!) and Keith also sent me an extra set during my first year with them (thanks bud).

I love my Sprungs. I doubt I'll ever be able to switch back to a traditional frame, but I do miss not having to worry about the durability of my frames. My current skate setup is on its last leg, and while I can't afford upgrading to A7s (and buying a new set of 80mm wheels), I'm quick to recommend to my friends that they give Sprungs a try when looking for new inline skates.

With summer inline leagues starting up and a lot of folks picking up inline skates, I hope this brief review helps some people. You definitely won't be disappointed with the performance Sprungs give you.

Harder wheels, usually, with as little lateral bend as you can find.

Hockey is thick on facebook and Sprungsters out there should get on and send me a friend request. All the

pictures are up on my wall for easy access and downloading.

Sent a friend request, Keith.

It's been a while since I've paid attention to anything roller hockey related so I thought I'd provide a quick review of my Sprung A6s that I've been using for the past couple years (3 years? wow).

Experience wise, I've played Roller Hockey for 10yrs, pretty much since I was a Peewee ice player. My brother was a NIHA/Narch guy so I got into Roller through him and ended up spending almost as much time playing roller as I did ice. Now I play more roller than ice, and I'm pretty happy with that. I've used all kinds of skates/chassis: Mission Proto Vs, VSIs (Hi-Lo), RBKs (Tri-di) and Red Star e-frames on old ice boots. I was deciding between the Hummer, Vanguard and Sprungs 3 years ago when I wanted a frame for my one90s and eventually went with the Sprungs.

I'd have to try the other two before making a real comparison, but given how much I like the Sprungs I probably won't give them a chance. I love Sprungs. They take away a lot of the 'clunkiness' in inline play that ice players tend to complain about (I know I did). You can cut turns much sharper in them without skidding out, and stopping feels smoother than on traditional frames. I'd say Scott Neidermayer would love these frames, because they almost encourage you to have a smooth stride in order to maximize speed. A choppy inline stride (you know the type of stride that makes ice players cringe?) is wasted in a frame like this. Once you get the hang of them (takes a few minutes) you'll be getting great speed out of the frame.

The weight of the frame doesn't bother me, if anything the one90s being fairly light helps compensate.

My only real concern with my Sprungs has been durability. When I'm playing roller, I'm playing at a competitive level, and while I'm only 170lbs I tend to be hard on my skates. I breakdown stiff boots quickly, and low quality wheels I break often (I've broken about 8 labeda dynastys). With my Sprungs I've broken rocker arms and pivot pins, and while I love using them, I'm a little scared every time I play that I might break something and be forced to leave the game early. It's worth nothing that I never compromise the frame, I've always used an all 76mm setup (usually hotshots or variants or combination of the two). Prior to the Sprungs the only problem I ever had was taking a shot off a tri-di that dented the frame making it unusable. Also, I bought some extra parts that have lasted me until now (I'm down to my last pivot pin!) and Keith also sent me an extra set during my first year with them (thanks bud).

I love my Sprungs. I doubt I'll ever be able to switch back to a traditional frame, but I do miss not having to worry about the durability of my frames. My current skate setup is on its last leg, and while I can't afford upgrading to A7s (and buying a new set of 80mm wheels), I'm quick to recommend to my friends that they give Sprungs a try when looking for new inline skates.

With summer inline leagues starting up and a lot of folks picking up inline skates, I hope this brief review helps some people. You definitely won't be disappointed with the performance Sprungs give you.

Wow! Thanks for that review, Bombit. I just purchased A6's, and had them mounted over the weekend. Now I'm waiting for my wheels to arrive (I went with the RR Hornets, 78a durometer), and I can't wait for my first skate. I was trying to decide between the Mission Vanguard Hi-Lo, the Labeda Hummer, and Sprungs, and it seems I made the right choice. Thanks for all the great info.

We should have new inventory by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. As soon as I know it's on the way, we'll take the sold out sign off the A6s. And we'll have white A7s and A8s again. I know a lot of you were going through your last A6 arms, so the cavelry is on the way.

The A6X/A6 free rocker arm exchange will only apply to the new purchasers paying the full A6 tag which will remain the same when it transitions over. If you want to change your old A6 arms to A6X, we will have an update package price for eight new A6X arms. :)

We should have new inventory by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. As soon as I know it's on the way, we'll take the sold out sign off the A6s. And we'll have white A7s and A8s again. I know a lot of you were going through your last A6 arms, so the cavelry is on the way.

The A6X/A6 free rocker arm exchange will only apply to the new purchasers paying the full A6 tag which will remain the same when it transitions over. If you want to change your old A6 arms to A6X, we will have an update package price for eight new A6X arms. :)

Sent you a PM Keith re: A6 upgrades. :)

Keith, so the update of the A6X would be more robust in the design compared to the A6?

The A6X arms will have the same size pivot knuckles as the A7/8 arms and will use the same springs with the wider slots. The A6X arms will fit right into the A6 body, which is fine and we're leaving it alone.

When the A6X arms get here the small will become the A6X with the original body and the new arms. We will still have some old A6 arms for replacements. The A6X arm package will come with the new springs, too.

After thinking about it some and digging Racer X so much, I'm gonna call the new A6X the AX. B)

Just so it'll be on this page, parts are leaving China this week and will get here early next week. Everything will be white. :)

I would have added your quote, but my computer is having trouble with the post engine and it's too hard. The lineup is: A6 and AX 76mm; A7 80mm; A8 80mm.

WOW! I am hooked, used my sprungs for the 1st time last night and took a little to get used to at first because my stride changed, but my crossovers are faster tighter turning and def more speed then what I had before. Keith mounted the sprungs on a pair of kor shift 2's that I paired with with a set of addiction wheels and the responsivness was just amazing. Thanks for everything Keith and I dont see me going back to another frame.

Thanks, appreciate it!

edit: do you think putting an A7 on size 6 or 6.5 boots would be too big a wheelbase with the 78's?

Too big. I had the A7 and A6 on a pair of Size 9 skates, and still prefer the A6

Hey guys I need a little help. I discovered that one of the nuts that keeps the pivot pin in place is missing. Can someone tell me what the measurments are for those so I can see if the hardware store has anything. I have a game tonight and would rather not play without it.

Thanks in advance

Hey guys I need a little help. I discovered that one of the nuts that keeps the pivot pin in place is missing. Can someone tell me what the measurments are for those so I can see if the hardware store has anything. I have a game tonight and would rather not play without it.

Thanks in advance

They should have come with an extra pin and nut, and axle and nut. The best you can do in an emergency, is remove the pin and take it with you to a good hardware store (HA) or whatever and get the thinest one that the pin correctly screws into. This doesn't mean cross-thread into, which will hold it on, but ruin the pin threads. I can send you one but it won't get there till Monday. Pisser.

addictions.th.jpg

Here is my finished product. After I put the Addictions on the Sprungs really came alive. Now I see what all the hype is about. Like I told Keith I don't think I'll ever go to another chassis again.

The A6X arms will have the same size pivot knuckles as the A7/8 arms and will use the same springs with the wider slots. The A6X arms will fit right into the A6 body, which is fine and we're leaving it alone.

When the A6X arms get here the small will become the A6X with the original body and the new arms. We will still have some old A6 arms for replacements. The A6X arm package will come with the new springs, too.

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the A6X frame will only be new arms in the old body, and there will not be a new body "with a little more pitch (lowered in front a touch)" as mentioned on your website? Or is the new body coming later?

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the A6X frame will only be new arms in the old body, and there will not be a new body "with a little more pitch (lowered in front a touch)" as mentioned on your website? Or is the new body coming later?

We were going to remove the lip off the front mount so it would be like the A7 and A8, but then filed it off a pair and nobody could tell the difference. So we are leaving well enough alone. Regardless of front and rear wheel size, the actual pitch of the frame, on it's wheels, is the same as most of the old Hi-Los, which varied from model to model.