Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

Not a very good pic but this is a conversion I have been wanting to try for a long time. Old school meets modern technology.........

CCM 655 Super Tacks boots from the early 90's, Sprung A-6 chassis, Mission Abec 9 bearings and CCM/Kukaz wheels again from the early 90's. The boots have had several chassis but are in great shape. I filled the holes with epoxy and then applied a very thin layer of figerglass cloth cut in the shape of an insole to the inside of the boot. The cloth was applied with epoxy and then new holes were drilled for the frame. Seems pretty strong but time will tell.

21evw4z.jpg

Rick Henry

100% sprung convert... never on rigid chassis anymore.

I second that - and I have only skated on them ONCE. That's all I took ;)

Not a very good pic but this is a conversion I have been wanting to try for a long time. Old school meets modern technology.........

CCM 655 Super Tacks boots from the early 90's, Sprung A-6 chassis, Mission Abec 9 bearings and CCM/Kukaz wheels again from the early 90's. The boots have had several chassis but are in great shape. I filled the holes with epoxy and then applied a very thin layer of figerglass cloth cut in the shape of an insole to the inside of the boot. The cloth was applied with epoxy and then new holes were drilled for the frame. Seems pretty strong but time will tell.

Rick Henry

Nice, Rick! I like the look a lot....

Thanks Fletch. I got the wheels from Inline Sports for $1 each. Don't know how good they are but for $1 I thought I would give them a try and they kind of fit with the look of the Tacks.

Hey Rick, you are definitely a candidate for the A7. How is the glass sticking to the sole on those? When I was a dope growing up in Georgia, I thought CCM was Russian.

And here are Fabian's Raptors connected to some slightly altered 10.5 221's. The frames went to Germany to get painted, and came back to SoCal via transoceanic swimmer. The waxed orange laces had to be, along with the orange Millenniums. I also had to make the side panel match. These skates got what they wanted.

TorspoRaptor10.5S.jpgTorspoRaptor10.5P.jpg

And for something entirely different, here's some Bauer Goalies with the all new Sprung Dachshund Chassis. They look entirely weird but if dexterity and agility are helpful to a goalie, they are probably pretty good. I could possibly get away with making two sizes of lowboy goalie rocker arms that drop right in and would cover all sizes with the three frames. The pitch would still be a little more, but they would be reg height.

BauerGalie10P.jpg

BauerGoalie10S.jpg

Man Keith those look sweeet..... I put the glass on the inside of the sole/boot and the adhesion seems good but I don't know how it would work on the outside/bottom with the smooth surface. It may very well peel from the bottom of a sole. I have also considered a carbon fiber cloth used in R/C modeling along with a 2-part epoxy but I didn't have any on hand so I went with the glass. The carbon fiber is thinner than the glass but supposedly much stronger. Maybe a combo with glass cut like an insole on the inside and carbon fiber cut to the exact shape/footprint of the Sprung mounting plates on the outside. With the two sandwiching the sole and the previous holes being filled with epoxy it should be pretty strong but not add much thickness or weight.

I am definately at the outer edge with the A-6 on a size 10 Tacks boot and the A-7 or A-8 is on my hockey wish list so hopefully in the near future I will be able to give them a try.

Rick Henry

How much will the "badger dogs" be Keith?

The arms may be a little more than the regs cause they'll probably have heavier walls. The axles only have to be 5/8" higher to be the same height as the Tuuks that came on the boots. We could look at doing it in six months or so. I'm going to find somebody local to try these out for me. I also have an old pair of Fiziks aggro frames mounted on goalie boots that have been going for a while, now.

Showed the pic to my best mate who is a goalie. I was shocked that he thinks they look great and wants to give them a go. He's been rolling on the same pair of Predator 5 wheel frames since 1997!

The goalies are being tested out this week. I hope he likes them.

If anybody Really Loves the Sprung Raptors pictured below, they ought to check out the Sprung site. And our Sprung/Torspo closeout has started. :)

TorspoRaptor10.5P.jpg

If anybody Really Loves the Sprung Raptors pictured below, they ought to check out the Sprung site. And our Sprung/Torspo closeout has started. :)

you mean your not going to be selling the Sprung/Torpso's anymore? :o

you mean your not going to be selling the Sprung/Torpso's anymore? :o

It's the last of this model order. If we do it again it will be with their new boots. It's a great package, and now's the time to grab the best deal. Sizes are definitely limited, though.

anyone having truoble with the 2nd and 3rd wheel rubbing together?im thinking the springs are to soft

i can push both wheels together,its even worse when im skating at just a roll they feel like brakes being applied.

i dont have this problem with the old sprungs on my eastons only the new sprungs that are on my grafs.after

awhile you can see the wheels start to flaten from rubbing together.

anyone having truoble with the 2nd and 3rd wheel rubbing together?im thinking the springs are to soft

i can push both wheels together,its even worse when im skating at just a roll they feel like brakes being applied.

i dont have this problem with the old sprungs on my eastons only the new sprungs that are on my grafs.after

awhile you can see the wheels start to flaten from rubbing together.

One of our buds in San Diego has just had the same thing happen. He's a hardcore power skater with mass, and stretches the pivot knuckles so that the wheels can go further apart, where they bump into each other in the center. He was on A8's but wanted the shorter frame and will be on the A7 when it's here. The A7 will use the A8 arms which are bigger with bigger knuckles. Will the A7 work for you, I forgot your boot size.

You, at least, need a set of A8 springs, which are bigger and will take up the slack. You might also check to make sure you don't have any stretched and cracked knuckles. It doesn't help that most of the wheels are at least half a mm bigger than they say, so there's less room between two and three than was designed to be there.

Other than that, how you doing, man?

yeah I have a size 8 graf boot,so Im on the A6,plus last we talked i did check all the parts.Like you said Im stretching the pivot knuckles, would the A7 or A8

springs work with the A6?.All is well here.I"ll give ya a ring.Gotta down load some tunes first

Sprungster:

Can those goalies fit 59mm wheels? I can't stand the square profile of the 47s.

EDIT: Also, where do the pad boot straps go?

You can use 59mm wheels no problem. The goalie that's testing them switched the wheels to 59s for the same reason. I think they might fit between the top of the frame and the bottom of the boot. If not, for sure there's plenty of room between the number two and three wheels.

BauerGoalie10S.jpg

There still is no place for the toe strap/toe lace to fasten to. They usually go in the very front of the boot, in that space in the cowling. Maybe you can develop a goalie chassis that both sits lower AND has a small loop in front for the toe bridge.

My new skates for the coming season:

hpim3341wf6.jpg

I hope you got ankle braces! :P Not too much support in those skates.

Actually, it works pretty well for me. Yes, cheaper skate, but had to balance the budget.