Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

image00055fk1.jpg

My 8Ks with A8s finally mounted. First game in them with the new chassis on them was this past Thursday, and they skate like a dream. Truly awesome product.

Just out of curiosity, why put the softer wheels in back?

The Hornets (Green Ones) are XXX Grip, the Hot Shots (Red Ones) are XX Grip..... the softer ones are in the front.

???

(Someone correct me if I am wrong.....) :P

those are all MB816's (look at the hubs) and the softer ones are in the back. The red ones are 76a and the yellowish ones are 78a

image00055fk1.jpg

My 8Ks with A8s finally mounted. First game in them with the new chassis on them was this past Thursday, and they skate like a dream. Truly awesome product.

Just out of curiosity, why put the softer wheels in back?

If I don't run the same wheels all around, I've always ran my softer more grippy wheels in the rear for more traction. Perhaps it's a flaw in my skating style, but I tend to use my rear wheels more in hard turns and stopping. Just my $.02.

ah, I'm just not up to snuff on the new RR wheels, then!

Back in the day......... :lol:

Hornets were green and XXX

Hot Shots were red and XX

Now they've pulled a fast one on me :P Although, since Mike Hunt stopped sending me free RRs..... I haven't actually bought any :blink:

ah, I'm just not up to snuff on the new RR wheels, then!

Back in the day......... :lol:

Hornets were green and XXX

Hot Shots were red and XX

Now they've pulled a fast one on me :P Although, since Mike Hunt stopped sending me free RRs..... I haven't actually bought any :blink:

Mike who???

Haha....that's his name - Mike's a good guy. He works for Rink Rat wheels.

Correct ^^^

Mike is a good guy, and RR is a good company, especially when it comes to standing behind their product. :)

Haha....that's his name - Mike's a good guy. He works for Rink Rat wheels.

Unbelievable...and he doesn't go by Michael? Nice! :lol:

Had no idea that the red ones were the softer wheels, there's no real number system on them or anywhere else that i could find to indicate that. It probably explains the little bit of problem I've had with slipping on my stops. Thanks for the heads up!

yeah I was just curious if you did that on purpose. I notice revision recommends soft hard hard soft as one setup. I almost want to try that one. I run one soft wheel in front just to get traction pushing off. My problem is I skate on 2 very different types of indoor surfaces and the same setup doesn't work well for both. Soon I'll have 2 pairs of skates so maybe that will help.

If I don't run the same wheels all around, I've always ran my softer more grippy wheels in the rear for more traction. Perhaps it's a flaw in my skating style, but I tend to use my rear wheels more in hard turns and stopping. Just my $.02.

If you spent a long time skating on hi-lo's (especially the older 72-72-80-80 set-up) this isn't as suprising, you'd have adjusted to using your back wheels more as on hi-lo's they are larger and so, provide more grip.

Otherwise it's probebly just you ;)

If you spent a long time skating on hi-lo's (especially the older 72-72-80-80 set-up) this isn't as suprising, you'd have adjusted to using your back wheels more as on hi-lo's they are larger and so, provide more grip.

Otherwise it's probebly just you ;)

Nice analysis...I skated HiLo's from 1995 until just recently. I guess now that I'm running a flat setup, I'll have to try some different configurations.

id take some free rink rats ^_^

Oh hell, so would I, nowadays :)

I was able to get a few sets of the first batch prior to the public release to demo them and see how they felt/promote them.

The first batch had issues with wheel explosion, lol - but at the time, the grip and speed was unrivaled. And the customer service was top-notch. I blew up 2 wheels the first weekend, Mike sent me 4 more. And then sent me another 8 when the second pour of wheels (a few weeks after they were available in public) was done, all for free.

I'd love to give the new Rats a try, I'll wait until my Revisions need to be replaced though, because I got a hell of a deal on them ;)

I'm new at this and would like to convert my Tacks 472 with a Sprung chassis however i have a questions about installing them myself.

The main one is how do you go about removing the rivets?

I realize there was a post somewhere within the 163pages about something using Tnuts? or something alone those lines but I can't seem to remember which page it was on.

However, if someone could perhaps create a thread with photos, or better yet a video instruction of the process I think it would benefit many people on this forum :)

Thanks,

hey venom, I just tried the soft wheels in the front and back with the hard wheels in the middle and I liked it a lot. For reference, I skate on a simpled (I'm told older generation sport court) surface that is fast, but not so grippy (compared to modern sport court) and it's upstairs in a double ice rink. So it's cold which works against traction as well. I found my setup with a soft up front and all hard in the next 3 spots just didn't give me enough traction. I went with the revision matrix suggestion of soft hard hard soft last weekend and really liked the difference. I would definitely give it a try since you have 2 soft and 2 hard wheels. Good luck.

has anyone actually used the A8 chassis with 76mm wheels?

I did, and they were great. All of the original arms that came with the frame were only cut out for 76mm wheels. We wanted to check out the 76mm chassis while it could be the same wheel size as the A6, cause it's easier to remove metal from a mold than to add metal and re-cut. We tested it a week as all 76mm, and then I started grinding out prototype A8 rocker arms with my trusty Dremel. The 76's skated great, but the potential A8 was too much for me. I cut out about eight sets, including a second set, at the rink, for Mishka Drury who was testing them for me.We all liked them, but he was the 5aces player that tried them, and he dunked it.

Over the next many months, we had to haul 76mm A8 arms that got back into circulation accidentally. Several players ended up using them with 76's for a year cause they liked them as is. We've switched the arms to 80's on most of these by now, though. I'm for big wheels relative to foot size, but there is a touch of agility that the lower profile (length totally aside) provides, and it's part of why some large feet like the A6 more, regardless.