Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThePurpleCobra

Best concert you've ever seen!

My birthday present to myself this past year was going to see Dream Theater's 20th Anniversary Tour Grand Finale. It was at Radio City Music Hall and was absolutely incredible.

I envy you. My brother went to the show before in Boston.

Hockeysew, you and I are about the same age; your list took me down memory lane!!

Bob Dylan put on the best show, probably U2 and Queen were my favourite concerts but my absolute best experience at a concert was the Who about 10 years ago.  Couldn't find a babysitter, so I took my daughter instead of missing the concert.  Had to swop tickets with a scalper which was a bit of a bummer.  But was it worth it - she got right into it and what a fantastic night!  I've kept the tickets, and someday I'll give them to her as a momento of her first ever concert.

We took my oldest to his first concert at 12 years of age. Metallica,Kid Rock,Powerman 5000 and Korn (Summer Sanitarium tour)

Was a way cool thing to share with my kid.

Somehow I dont think my dad would have dug Kiss's first US tour,which was my first concert at 11 :rolleyes:

How times change eh?

I will second the motion that the bands now do not have the same impact that they had upon our generation and it seems to me that the music had more of a message to it then. Just listen to Zeppelins "Since I've Been Loving You" or "The Rain Song" after you break up with your girl and you will see what I mean.

Or I could be full of it and we just had better drugs :D

It is truley unfortunate that the musicians and promoters have become so greedy at $75+ per ticket.......

The younger generation will have a hard time experiencing some of the great shows that we did.

I did totally space out a couple great shows that are worth mentioning:

Elton John

Emerson, Lake and Palmer B)

Genesis with Phil Collins

Phil Collins after Genisis

Rush-2112 tour

Yes

Maybe I spaced it cause of the better drugs!!!

Ok, this isn't a concert, but it WAS an interesting "rock experience". You'll either find it interesting or totally weird....

When I was in Paris awhile back I went to the Cemetary of Pere Lachaise. It was absolutely surreal. Not only for the extensive above ground and tightly packed tombs but you have the fans of Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf and Chopin wandering about. Talk about a wide range of people! Oscar Wilde is also buried there, along with a ton of other writers, poets, painters, scientists, philosophers and polititians. People in Paris seem to use this as a park (it is a really big site) which added to the strange timbre of the place for me.

A Chopin fan was quietly sitting by his tomb with a candle, glass of wine and playing his tunes while over at Jim's place there was a guard to keep Jim's fans in-line. People have left notes, bottles of beer, joints and all number of other tokens for Jim.

They were talking about kicking Jim out when his lease was up; he/his fans are a disruptive force in their quiet neighborhood and the guard is an added expense. But as far as I know, he is still there. I admit I got a kick out of the idea of Jim still being a unique and vibrant force even from the grave.

photo of Jim's place

Jim's Grave 1

Jim's Grave 2

This image gives you a "feel" for what it is like to be there

Cemetary pic

If you've found this interesting but you're not getting to Paris in the near future, this site is a virtual tour of the cemetary - you can go to many of the famous gravesites.

Virtual Tour

Its not fair that we cant see these awesome bands. Music just sucks these days and bands dont seem to be as tour oriented as Zeppelin was in the late 60s. I have to drive hours now to see bands I actually want to see perform live and am stuck buying classic rock DVDs to get my fix of their performances. All I can ask for in life though now is for Floyd to get back together and do a reunion tour. I would easily drop 500 bucks on a ticket for that.

The only hope for guys like us is 1/2 of the who and rush who are supposed to be touring next year.

Im a big reggae fan, and I am a huge UB40 fan, so when I got the chance to see them at The House of Blues in Cleveland, I had to go. Great venue, small, but big enough to get alot of people in and still have room to move around. The show was great, UB40 rocked. Best show ever, not only because of the music. We had a GREAT time in Cleveland the entire weekend.

Its not fair that we cant see these awesome bands. Music just sucks these days and bands dont seem to be as tour oriented as Zeppelin was in the late 60s. I have to drive hours now to see bands I actually want to see perform live and am stuck buying classic rock DVDs to get my fix of their performances. All I can ask for in life though now is for Floyd to get back together and do a reunion tour. I would easily drop 500 bucks on a ticket for that.

The only hope for guys like us is 1/2 of the who and rush who are supposed to be touring next year.

Except those tickets cost $300, not the $20 it would have when they were at the top of their game.

Ticket prices for everything these days are so out of line. I like going to concerts but dropping $100+ on one seat is way too much. The reality of the show does not meet my expectation based on the price/cost of the ticket. So now I sound like ag12 complaining about One90 skates! I'm calling NBH to complain.

A few more oldies-

Springsteen May 77 in New Haven, Ct. I had fifth row on the aisle so when he jumps into the seats during "Spirits in the Night" he was right in front of me. The guy puts on a great show with lots of energy.

Allman Brothers in 74 at Trenton, NJ state fairgrounds. We got there the night before the show and didn't bother to sleep for the next 36 hours. Gee, I wonder why?

Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers at RFK Stadium in DC in June 74- I also got there the night before the show and wandered around the outside of RFK all night. The two bands were great in 95* heat.

Jethro Tull in Syracuse in January 75- Ian Anderson was out of control and Martin Barre on guitar was amazing.

Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen in mid 70s- great boogie band with about a case of beer on the side.

As a sad comparison to the kinds of concerts I'll have access to in my area, Ted Nugent is going to be playing the State Fair. I hope he's killed by a moose attack.

Isnt ted Nugent in some reality band on VH1 now with Scott Ian, Sebastian Bach and Jason Bonham (Johns son)? Is it the whole band coming or Ted Nugent solo? Either way itll suck so cheers to that.

Isnt ted Nugent in some reality band on VH1 now with Scott Ian, Sebastian Bach and Jason Bonham (Johns son)? Is it the whole band coming or Ted Nugent solo? Either way itll suck so cheers to that.

They are not touring together according to most reports.

My favorite was Lollapalooza 92 at Starlake just outside Pittsburgh. 93 was good but it was already starting to slide and by 94 or so it had jumped the shark. I've seen 75+ major shows and this was by far the best combination of vibe and talent that I have seen.

I also went to Kansas and Styx(no Dennis de Young) last Sat night. Not my favorite style of music but were my ears ringing. Styx wouldn't leave the stage.

I assumed it'd just be whatever band he tours with and not the one from TV. Either way I can't go see anyone's concert when they're in the same venue as the world's smallest pony, the 4-h club, assorted carnies and The Scrambler.

Elton John

Usher (wasnt a big fan, but he puts on a good show)

Wired Al twice

Biz Markie

Weird Al? :D That's the only concert I've been to.

I was asked to go to The Hip about a month or two ago at the ACC, but I'm a moron. I want to go see Elliot Brood play, as he's in town relatively soon.

I assumed it'd just be whatever band he tours with and not the one from TV. Either way I can't go see anyone's concert when they're in the same venue as the world's smallest pony, the 4-h club, assorted carnies and The Scrambler.

I've seen him half a dozen times and he always puts on a good show. Then again, I like his music.

I don't mind some of the old stuff I'd heard but he's done nothing new since then and become way too political to tolerate staying for a couple songs.

They give me Cat Scrath Fever...Cat Scratch Fever.

Only song of his I know and I cant trust anyone who wont smoke a joint or drink a beer but has no problem in going out and slaying helpless animals.

I don't mind some of the old stuff I'd heard but he's done nothing new since then and become way too political to tolerate staying for a couple songs.

I haven't seen him since he has become so politically active.

I can only imagine the stuff he'll spew about oil drilling and protecting the animals up here. I remember seeing Rage Against The Machine on the Battle of LA tour and after monologues about what girls should do to guys who cop a feel as they stage dive and stuff about cops in general I've passed on seeing anyone with an agenda live.

Same way I felt when I saw CSNY in Toronto recently. Come on Neil, were in Canada so we dont want to hear your songs bashing the American president, he isnt our president and we cant impeach him so shut up and play Woodstock. That was the most disappointing concert Ive ever been to and the most expensive as well. Oh well, live and learn, never attend a politically inspired bands shows.

Didn't Neil Young go on about Corporate Greed while charging $300 for tickets? I put an offer in to someone about going, glad it didn't work out.

Yeah I remember him saying something like that and commenting on the building (ACC) being named after a major corporation. Not too sure though I was hammered and ripped off my ass.

Gigantour1 highlights of it were Symphony X, Dream Theater, Nevermore, and Megadeth.

Anthrax i saw a month ago best concert ive been to they played the whole Among The Living album, and ended with Bring The Noise.

Rush on there 30th anniversery tour that was crazy Geddy lee is amazing.

O.A.R (i cant lie they are one of my favorite bands) was crazy babes everywhere but i was with my girl.

Dave Mathews was cool too.

Im looking forward to Tool at the United Center and Dragonforce with Horse The Band (if your looking for something very different check them out) and All That Remains.

I have a very different taste in music i like just about everything.

I can only imagine the stuff he'll spew about oil drilling and protecting the animals up here. I remember seeing Rage Against The Machine on the Battle of LA tour and after monologues about what girls should do to guys who cop a feel as they stage dive and stuff about cops in general I've passed on seeing anyone with an agenda live.

I saw rage at lolla 93, talk about over-inflated egos and and a piss-poor performance. At least I wasn't in Philly where they came out naked with tape over their mouths and each had one letter of PMRC painted on them. That was their entire 30 minute set.